NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac_bunt View Post
I AGREE 100%!
A wonderful place to immerse yourself in a very rich part of baseball history.
My first visit to the nlbm I got the privilege to meet Buck O'Neil just before he passed. I feel pretty lucky.
Jeff, you are so lucky to have met Buck O'Neil. I'd have given just about anything to sit down with him for an hour or two to talk about the history of the Negro Leagues. Mr. O'Neil is one of the greatest ambassadors the game of baseball has ever known. People that truly love the game, as I do, should feel fortunate that Mr. O'Neil did as many interviews and documentaries as he did. He may be gone, but we'll always have his incredible memories.

Brian, I've been where you are now. I got so burned out on baseball card collecting that I just quit. This was in my early twenties. It was only about five years ago when it dawned on me that I used to have so much fun collecting, and that I wanted to do it again. So, I have to agree with everybody else. Don't quit the hobby. Take a break, a long one if needed. And if you ever feel that itch to start collecting again, jump back in.

Bottom line, do what you think will make you happy. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
No, guys this is not a boy who cried wolf post. I have been collecting since September 1972 and almost exclusively pre-WWII since 1989. I don't know if it is because I am getting a little older or that I have seen just about every kind of card-except a few in Olbermann's collection-but the high has dulled a little. I also just don't like the way the hobby is going. A newer, smaller in number generation is coming in and although I do not have anything against new blood which is essential for this hobby, it is the smaller number that concerns me. Fame is fleeting would be the best analogy.

It also just the prices are out of alignment with reality. I include myself in this observation. If you look at eBay, the same cards are constantly on there, but every now and then a card will pique my interest. Of course, it also piques the interest of auction groups who then sell it in there auctions plus buyer's premium of anywhere from 12.5% to 20+%. Not whining, but even if you beat the auction groups in the bid, you pay an inflated value.

Part of collecting is enjoying what you have and part of it, frankly is investing. The investing part for me is overshadowing the collecting and I am a collector and I have always known that if it got to that point, it may be time to get out.

Admittedly, I haven't decided, but the excitement has waned.
I've been where you are now off and on for a year or two. Not yet ready to jump ship though my card mojo is low. Stopped setting up at shows two or three years ago because that stopped being fun. I no longer get warm and fuzzy while looking at material that we see over and over again. Showcases at shows just blend into one another. I know haven't seen it all, but I feel like I have.

Net54 isn't nearly as fun or interesting to me as it used to be though I still peruse it out of habit. Don't know if the membership has changed or I have, Probably some of both. Used to love BST, now it irritates me, seems more like hustler haven now. I certainly skip over anything demanding paypal f/f payment.

Still debating whether to attend the National or not. Maybe that would snap me out of it. Would be nice to hang out with some old collector friends over food and drink. Ironically I am now one card short of "completing" my collection. Just can't summon the juice to acquire it.

Improved cashflow and a fatter checkbook just seem more attractive now.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:05 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
I've been where you are now off and on for a year or two. Not yet ready to jump ship though my card mojo is low. Stopped setting up at shows two or three years ago because that stopped being fun. I no longer get warm and fuzzy while looking at material that we see over and over again. Showcases at shows just blend into one another. I know haven't seen it all, but I feel like I have.

Net54 isn't nearly as fun or interesting to me as it used to be though I still peruse it out of habit. Don't know if the membership has changed or I have, Probably some of both. Used to love BST, now it irritates me, seems more like hustler haven now. I certainly skip over anything demanding paypal f/f payment.

Still debating whether to attend the National or not. Maybe that would snap me out of it. Would be nice to hang out with some old collector friends over food and drink. Ironically I am now one card short of "completing" my collection. Just can't summon the juice to acquire it.

Improved cashflow and a fatter checkbook just seem more attractive now.
+1
Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

As to the question of our membership changing, there is no doubt it does. Last month was about average for new, (manual) site registrations. We had 97 members join last month. Some members stay, some go and some have joined very recently. Some of the old timers get a bit jaded but the hobby and this site is fine, imo. There is no doubt that the collecting fun factor comes and goes, it's normal. I enjoy carousing with my friends in the hobby almost as much as I do collecting the cards themselves.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Brian- I wish you the best, whatever you decide. I would offer one bit of advice from one who's been there, when you get mired in a collecting funk, resist the temptation to start selling off pre-war card sets. About ten years ago I sold off complete sets of many caramel cards and have just now completed getting them all back again. It's too frigging hard to find some of the cards now as many collectors, for investment sake or collection sake, have buried the cards in to their collections like the T213 tobacco Coupons. Cards which were available ten years ago are now difficult to find and you'll find yourself kicking yourself for selling them. I know when I decided to "re-put" together the E95, E96, E97, E99 and E100 sets, especially in nice condition, it was tough. E98s would fall in to that group also but for the Black Swamp Find which has made it easier, albeit a little pricey. Sets like the 1909 Zeenuts will never disappear from my collection because it is now impossible to put together the whole set from scratch.
Think twice! For me, I only collect 1909-1919 in the pre-war because that is my favorite time in history. Find a niche, that's mine. Sure I have sets like the DeLong, Tatoo Orbit, George Miller but the 1909-1919 era is my niche.
I wish you the best in your decision....
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've retrenched and refocused substantially over the last year. Part of it was finance and part was recognizing that my collection had become The Collection. It had a life of its own. I find myself re-energized by asking myself to collect only what really interests me. I got rid of 90% of my slabbed cards and replaced the ones I really liked with much cheaper lower grade raw cards. I also culled a lot of the bulk of sets I favor and kept only a few cards from them that I found aesthetically pleasing. Ultimately all you can do is what feels right. If money is not an issue I'd echo the others' recommendations not to sell while you are down. I'd also add, come to the national. It always re-energizes me. Finally, for now, try a different thing. For me it was photos

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-17-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Brian- I wish you the best, whatever you decide. I would offer one bit of advice from one who's been there, when you get mired in a collecting funk, resist the temptation to start selling off pre-war card sets. About ten years ago I sold off complete sets of many caramel cards and have just now completed getting them all back again. It's too frigging hard to find some of the cards now as many collectors, for investment sake or collection sake, have buried the cards in to their collections like the T213 tobacco Coupons. Cards which were available ten years ago are now difficult to find and you'll find yourself kicking yourself for selling them. I know when I decided to "re-put" together the E95, E96, E97, E99 and E100 sets, especially in nice condition, it was tough. E98s would fall in to that group also but for the Black Swamp Find which has made it easier, albeit a little pricey. Sets like the 1909 Zeenuts will never disappear from my collection because it is now impossible to put together the whole set from scratch.
Think twice! For me, I only collect 1909-1919 in the pre-war because that is my favorite time in history. Find a niche, that's mine. Sure I have sets like the DeLong, Tatoo Orbit, George Miller but the 1909-1919 era is my niche.
I wish you the best in your decision....
1909 Zeenuts? That does sound like an impossible set to complete.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Tom Boblitt

NEVER let the 1909 Zeenuts go.........

Everyone's giving you great advice. Keep us up-to-date on what you do. I like the PAUSE, refresh, try something else out for a while. I'm doing some 1950's/1960's Topps sets right now. It's been fun.....

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM

Thank you, Tom. It was a pleasure meeting you and Ken Cohen and Cohen's table at Robert Morris a couple years ago. The IRS agent made me a little nervous. I don't know why. I reported all my income.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Thank you, Tom. It was a pleasure meeting you and Ken Cohen and Cohen's table at Robert Morris a couple years ago. The IRS agent made me a little nervous. I don't know why. I reported all my income.
In 1990 I was set up at a show with my table of vintage oddball cards. The dealer next to me had stacks of 1989 Upper Deck and was selling Griffey and Sheffield rookies like they were going out of style. I think he was pricing them a few bucks below market. We got to talking and he started bragging about the thousands of undeclared dollars he was making every weekend selling Griffey rookies. $10,000 one show, $5,000 another show, and so on. Eventually he asked me what I did and I told him that I practiced law. He asked what kind and I said I am a tax lawyer with the IRS's tax fraud division. He turned about fifty shades of whiter then green. I thought he was going to puke.

The moral of the story is that if you are making a fortune in cash and aren't booking the revenue, STFU.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I certainly skip over anything demanding paypal f/f payment.
People usually want that kind of payment, because they are usually wholesaling cards over here with a very small profit margin (I can only speak for myself - I know some sellers are charging thru the roof for their stuff - maybe the can afford to pay all the fees, since they are sky high anyway. If we are going to get beat down to below wholesale prices, we might as well sell everything on Ebay, pay the fees, where we get a gazillion more eyeballs than we do just on Net54. Just a thought....
Old 06-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Exactly why I PREFER...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
People usually want that kind of payment, because they are usually wholesaling cards over here with a very small profit margin (I can only speak for myself - I know some sellers are charging thru the roof for their stuff - maybe the can afford to pay all the fees, since they are sky high anyway. If we are going to get beat down to below wholesale prices, we might as well sell everything on Ebay, pay the fees, where we get a gazillion more eyeballs than we do just on Net54. Just a thought....

being paid that way. Cheap and easy - less headaches for each side.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Nice juicy rationalization for misrepresentation and borderline theft. If that floats your boat, go for it.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Nice juicy rationalization for misrepresentation and borderline theft. If that floats your boat, go for it.
Nope...Not at all. It is no different than posting a want ad in the newspaper, pinning a note on a bullentin board, or posting an ad on Craigslist. Not sure why you think there should be fees involved with any of those? Should selling on here be any different? Or you can just go back to Ebay where everything is bloated - makes no difference to me.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

What's wrong with Paypal f/f? How is it borderline theft? I must be missing the point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Zach

Brian, I'm sorry to hear that you're considering hanging it up. I for one will miss your monthly sale threads. Many of your cards don't fit my collecting needs but I really enjoy scrolling through the diversity of cards you list. I know I've bought a couple of cards from you (and recently missed out on that Merkle). Hopefully a break will revive your interest and you'll come back soon.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.

Zach

Last edited by ZachS; 06-17-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Ronald Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What's wrong with Paypal f/f? How is it borderline theft? I must be missing the point.
Yes you are.

Recent changes in the law in most states allows for merchants to surcharge for credit card purchases as long as the surcharge is disclosed on the receipt. The semantics may differ but in essence it is ok to give discounts for not using credit cards or paypal.

The point you are missing is that it's fine to charge less for non credit card purchases, just accept checks, cash, money orders etc.

However, using PaypalF/F in this manner is a violation of the user agreement, pure and simple. Is that fraud or theft, I leave up to lawyers.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 PM

Default Color me Uninformed---

Are Paypal F/F and asking that payment be made using the gift option via paypal the same thing?

I use it just to save what little I can...I realize in spite of my recent activity, I am 'small potatoes' compared to most of you guys.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

If you ever want to do something that will re-ignite your passion make a trip to 18th and Vine in Downtown Kansas City. The Negro League Baseball Museum is awesome - plan on spending the whole day. It doesn't get much better than this...

Then head up the street for some Q @ Arthur Bryants
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Default Sounds like a plan!

As a new retiree, I do believe I will make that trip!

Life is complete with a good dog (pet that is), BBQ, and baseball !

- oh, and this recliner...that's all I need. (channeling Nathan)
Old 06-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Doug Doremus

Hang in there, Brian.
Witness all the people who care
about you!
Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGold View Post
Yes you are.

Recent changes in the law in most states allows for merchants to surcharge for credit card purchases as long as the surcharge is disclosed on the receipt. The semantics may differ but in essence it is ok to give discounts for not using credit cards or paypal.

The point you are missing is that it's fine to charge less for non credit card purchases, just accept checks, cash, money orders etc.

However, using PaypalF/F in this manner is a violation of the user agreement, pure and simple. Is that fraud or theft, I leave up to lawyers.
I guess we both just violated the agreement then.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougscats View Post
Hang in there, Brian.
Witness all the people who care
about you!
Doug and everyone,

I appreciate it. The problem is getting the flint to work to start the fire again.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Doug and everyone,

I appreciate it. The problem is getting the flint to work to start the fire again.
Brian - Many recommend Viagra for this problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Brian - Many recommend Viagra for this problem.
Ummm. Different diagnosis than I needed .

Good one, Ken .
Old 06-18-2014, 05:28 PM

Brian,

I think there is much to be discovered about the B&W E cards from the early '20s and will miss your knowledge and passion for those cards if you decide to call it quits. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Scot Reader

Last edited by sreader3; 06-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Default Interesting topic

I too have considered hanging up the skates (Canadian hockey collector here) on occasion. I think most collectors have at one point in time in their life. Each time I consider it I ask myself why? It always points back to my childhood where we all would pullout our box of cards and trade with our friends in the old got em got em need em game. You would banter back and forth toss in a few cuss words and eventually make the trade. None of us considered the "value" or rareity of the card. We just knew we needed it and if it meant that you had to trade 2 or 3 for the one you needed then you called your friend a few choice names, made the trade then smacked each other and went on to the next trade. Today when you see the kids that manage to pull themselves away from the video games in a store or show collecting cards the first think mentioned is the "value". They don't appreciate the fun in collecting and that is disheartening to me, hence the frustration. Each time I consider giving it up I think back to what I enjoyed as a kid and look for that in other collectors. They are out there you just need to be patient. That is why I never sell always trade and rarely buy any of my collection. I am not into the graded, slabbed, authenticated stuff. I know what I collect, know what I need and know what I have to trade to get it. I also know I will occasionally buy a few cards but I don't rely on some third party mistake prone lacky to tell me what is obvious to me. SO the next time you consider putting away the cards, keep the chin up and skate it off my friend, skate it off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 DEAN PRENTICE.jpg (55.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 51 HARRY HOWELL.jpg (49.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg ccm 011.jpg (78.6 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by Billwinkle; 06-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Val Kehl

Hi Brian,
Ever since I joined Net 54 several years ago, I have thoroughly enjoyed your frequent and enthusiastic participation on Net 54. Just today, I marveled at the many very tough Schapiras, W503s, V89s, etc. that you showed in the Roaring 1920's thread. To me, you are obviously a collector who loves scarce cards regardless of condition, as do I. And, I suspect that collecting has been too much a part of your life for too long a time for you to be able to walk away from the hobby and not regret doing so a year from now. So, I fully concur with the other members who suggest that you take a break from collecting and, unless there is a financial need, not part with your cards, especially the scarce ones (except, perhaps, for your WaJo and Sam Rice cards that I covet ), until you are absolutely sure collecting is outta your system.
Best, whatever you decide,
Val
Old 06-19-2014, 08:25 AM

Some of you may have seen my post of what do I do as I am in financial difficulties. I took most advice. I graded some cards and sold them off. It took a big burden off the family. 5 years ago I had stage 3 cancer, and I thought-what the hell am I doing with this stuff?(cards). I am cured of cancer, but that thought still is in my head. But I still have the collecting bug. I am now very interested-and highly enjoy- a different piece of BB memorabilia.
Please-this is not a classified ad to sell my stuff. I know where to go. It is a comment only, about loosing interest in one collecting avenue, but picking up another. If I sell off my entire cards collection that does not mean much any more, I can use the cash, and I can also have some $ to continue to purchase BB memorabilia. For example-I am not into cards anymore, but I might love pre-WW2 equipment. No, that's not my passion-Just an example.