NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Patrick Preece

Default Don Schlaff passed away

All,

My Uncle Donald passed away two weeks....it has been difficult for me to write this and let people know that a hobby pioneer and one of the very good ones is gone. I spent the last couple of weeks going through his things, including many cards, and putting things in order. As some of you know, I have gone through some serious health issues over the last year,but nothing compared to the sadness of putting my uncle to rest.

Many will remember him by his hobby nickname, Santa Clause, in the 1970s when he would give free Old Judge, T206s, T205s, etc. to new collectors that would send him a self addressed stamped envelope. Anything he had he would give to someone in need or someone he could make happy with a gift. I learned my love of the hobby from him and will miss him more than words.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Dave

Patrick,

I'm very sorry to hear of you loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Patrick
Sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences. It's always sad to hear of old time collectors passing away. May your uncle rest in peace.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM

I'm also sorry to hear about your family's loss, Patrick. Just from the Santa Clause story alone, it sounds like he was a great man who touched many people's lives in a positive way.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 PM
pete ullman

patrick...i'm so sorry to hear about your uncle...you have an amazing collection I can only imagine his influence!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Patrick

my deepest sympathy,
a great loss of a true hero and pioneer in the hobby.

barry
Old 10-31-2012, 03:41 AM
Craig

Patrick,
I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle. You told me how influential he was to you in building your collection.
My deepest sympathy
Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Patrick,
so sorry for your loss...your uncle was a great collector and an even better man.

Joshua
Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Sorry to hear, his stories will live on!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Patrick, sorry to hear my deepest condolences to you and your family. It’s good to see you pop up here just wish it was under better circumstances.

Cheers,

John
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Patrick-I'm very sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. Hopefully, the new year will provide you only good news and better health.

Best--Jay
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Barry Sloate

HI Patrick- I've been off internet for a couple of days due to the hurricane. Sorry to hear about your uncle, and my condolences to you. I remember you speaking about him on several occasions. And hope your health is improving. I've had my own health issues too the past year but am doing much better now.

best regards,
Barry
Old 10-31-2012, 06:05 PM

Very sad to hear this, my condolences to you and your family. I was one of the young collectors who received a free card from Don Schlaff in the 1970s, my first 1933 Goudey card which I still have today. He was amazingly generous to young collectors.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
James

sorry to hear of your loss Patrick, sounds like a great man
Old 05-05-2014, 05:59 PM

I was going through some stuff to put on ebay and came across an envelope that my late friend, Don Schlaff had given me. It's been almost two years since his passing and I still miss him. I decided to google his name and came across this site. Just wanted to pay my (belated) respects and say he was a very good friend and is sorely missed. We met nearly every week for over 10 years and his knowledge and generosity were legendary. He got me started on collecting stadium postcards and was always interested in whatever I brought to show him. From a handful of postcards that he gave me, I now have a massive collection and owe it all to him. And, of course, his stories from the early days were the best. Lunch with Don was the highlight of the week for me. May he rest in peace. Thanks for the memories, Don!
Old 05-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Rich Klein

When I started he was nice enough to send me some cards as well. I did not get any pre-war cards but I think there was a 66 Killebrew in what he sent.

Rich
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Sounds like a wonderful man. You should be proud to have known him.

Tom C
Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Patrick Preece

Default Thank you

Thank you for the kind memories. Don was my uncle but more like a second father to me. He brought me into the hobby when I was 6 at the 1971 Detroit show and we would go to the Troy Hilton shows. Goudey Ruth's were $1.25 and Gehrig's were $1.00. Sunday dinner was always at my families house and Don and I would talk cards for hours

I lived about 1 mile from his close friend Frank Nagy, and we would go over Frank's house to his basement where he kept his collection for a card tour every so often. Great memories of thes two hobby veterans talking cards over coffee and a little kid like me was allowed to just sit there and listen to amazing stories.

Some of the few cards I have kept are the three DiMaggio Leaf cards (blue, green, and yellow backgrounds) from Frank's collection that my uncle always loved. I look at them every once in a while and they brings back great memories.

He was always willing to give....and never turned down a request for cards or his time.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM

Patrick,
I am very sorry to hear about your loss. All the best to you and your family.
JimB
Old 05-05-2014, 10:49 PM
David Levin

Patrick,

Sorry for your loss

Dave Levin
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 AM
Bill Gregory

Patrick, you have my sincere condolences. Your Uncle Donald was a wonderful man.

Nothing I could possibly say right now can assuage the sadness that you feel. And I feel awful knowing this, as it hurts me seeing good people suffer. But there is one thing I do want to share with you. It's something little, but I want you to know it nonetheless. The example Donald set is still inspiring people today. I can't tell you how many people have gone out of their way to do nice things for me since I joined out forum. Things done without expecting anything in return, done out of the goodness of their hearts. I could go into a lot of detail, but won't. The important thing is to know that the kindnesses your Uncle bestowed upon others...they have not been forgotten.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.