NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2002, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Default Need help. Are these vintage cards authentic?

Posted By: Harry 

Hello,

I need help from you vintage experts. Please take a look at these pictures:

http://www.cargile.net/images.nsf/cards

Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks in advance!

Harry

Old 03-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Harry --

I think all of the cards are real. The size of the pictures on the Ruth and Gehrig and consistent with other examples. It is impossible for me to make an absolute determination without seeing them in person, but I would say they're real.

Old 03-30-2002, 06:04 AM
Administrator

I wanted to thank both of you for responding. I'm moving forward to go through with the deal. My biggest concern was the color of the borders and back which seem to be very white compared to a more cream color of others I've seen on Ebay.

But ... I'm no expert. Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2002, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

You really think they are real?

GET A RETURN GUARANTEE!!!!!!!

No one can tell 100% from just scans and I don't think the Ruth and Gehrip are real. There was a reprint issued in the 70s on bright white stock that had no mention of being a reprint on the card and the backs were printed in green. This particular Ruth and Gehrig are in that set. Those Ruth borders are really fishy.

The cards from the 50s look real and some scammers try to make fakes "seem" real by seeding them in with a few real cards lulling you into a sense of security.

Ask the seller to have them graded and offer to pay for the fees plus maybe a little something extra for his trouble - if he refuses - start wondering why.

Old 03-30-2002, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john wojak

I think the 50s cards look okay, but I am leery about the Ruth and Gehrig Goudeys. To me, the borders look a little too wide and too white for comfort, especially the Ruth. Plus, I have a beat up Gehrig '33 on my desk at work and comparing it to the scan, the colors on the scan are a little too dark (especially the bat and the face), which is the way reprints are. Get a money back guarantee or, better yet, get them evaluated by either a grading company or a respected third party expert before you fork over the bucks. They could be fine (it could just be a funny scan making the borders look so white), but I am not comfortable with them.

Old 03-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

at first was they were too white too. But then I remembered I have seen some pristine ones, in nm-mt and better, that were this white. These are not in that shape so I would agree on getting a guarantee. No guarantee would be no sale to me....good luck.....and best regards

Old 03-30-2002, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 03-30-2002, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the additional comments.

Based on all of your comments, I have made the person an offer for the whole lot under the following terms:

1. I will pay a deposit upfront.
2. He will send the cards.
3. I will send them to PSA at my expense.
4. If they come back slabbed, I send the rest of the money.
5. If they are deemed reprints or altered, I send back the Ruth and Gehrig and keep the rest of the cards for my deposit.

I sent this to him and I'm waiting for a response. It seems like noone has doubts about the others cards, just the Ruth and Gehrig. So the seller really has nothing to lose in this deal.

Old 03-30-2002, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Hmmmmm. Assuming he goes for it. . .

. . . then he is willing to send you the cards but you only pay for the '50s cards upfront then that would mean he trusts you with the two most valuable cards he is offering w/o paying for them.

Either the guy is WAY too trusting or he doesn't care what happens with the Ruth & Gehrig cards because he knows they will come back from PSA as reprints and he is out nothing.

Good Luck.

Old 03-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

and the Ruth border is big. But check the backs for "bleed-through" - if you have that, you're probably okay. I've never seen '33s that beat-up that weren't at least a little bit toned.

Also, check the sides for "layered" look.

Old 03-30-2002, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

Goudey Gum co. on the back of both the Ruth and Gehrig there appears to be paper loss where "reprint" may have been.

Old 03-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike mullins

Just my opinion, but I would be VERY leary of the two Goudeys, esp. the Ruth. Hard to say exactly why...paper is maybe a bit too white. Looks like someone tried to make them look beat up and old. Proceed with caution, sounds like your offer is a good one.

mike

Old 03-31-2002, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Both are real..... or the best fakes Ive seen. The red at bottom of back is the clue. That Red tint is very normal for a '33 Goudey card, as it came from rubbing together or touching in the printing process. I have yet to see a fake with that red color. The creases card stock is right to. Frank