NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: roy miles

I was just on SGC's homepage where I noticed that they are coming out with a set registry...no date was given to actually when they are accepting sets to be registered. Sooner the better. I am pretty fired up about this because I have been collecting for a long time and most of my cards are in SGC slabs. I was happy to see a company besides PSA encouraging set building.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Plastic Dog

I couldn't disagree more. I think the set registry stuff is a bunch of crap. All it does is encourage people to get cards slabbed that wouldn't otherwise need to be entombed. And in the coin market, it has driven the price of high end coins way out of whack so that people can say "their set is better than somebody else's set." Have you actually watched the nonesense being discussed on the Collector's Universe board about PSA registry? And what is going to constitute a set of vintage cards, anyway? Do you have to split apart your Berk Ross pairs so that you can get them graded and entombed? What about strip cards? Is this going to require cutting up those nice strips of 10 so that they can be in an SGC holder? And can a rookie registry set ever really be complete if many rookie cards are unique (e.g. 1894 Alpha Photo McGraw) or if they actually exist in sizes that the grading companies can't accomodate (Centennial Flour cards, for example, for that nice PCL collection)?

I like SGC, but this is bad for the hobby.

Old 03-26-2002, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: mike mullins

this set registry thing to me? I don't think I have a clear understanding of what all is involved.

First, what do you have to do to get a set registered? From what I understand, you take all your cards to SGC or PSA, they slab them, then give you a certificate that says "you now own the entire set of 1993 Donruss" (whoo-hoo!). Then they keep this on their files somewhere or something. Is this correct? What is the advantage of doing this?

Also, can you designate a certain group of cards as being a "set"? Pdog mentioned a "rookie registry set"...does that mean you'd have to have the "rookie" card of every player ever? Who gets to decide what a "set" is? Is there a specified set of approved sets?

Thanks in advance for the information! In my opinion, it seems like a good idea for the companies (lotsa money), but for vintage collectors, I don't really see any advantages to it. But like I said, maybe I don't understand what a registered set gets you.

Old 03-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: roy miles

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and not all will agree on certain issues, as is evident on many of the threads on this board. If it(registry) is not for you so be it. My question is how does the existance of a registry effect you? Your collecting habits are unique to you and you alone. I like the fact that I can share my collection with others because I have fun with it. I do not do it as an ego trip. I personally find it refreshing that the industry is trying to get people back to collecting rather than chasing the almighty dollar.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: W.M.

Hi Roy

The effect of a set registry will not change my collecting habits. I own a few slabbed (SGC) cards and they are in my collection almost by accident. I looked at SGC'S website prior to this post, and I didn't see anything indicating they are interested in getting people back to collecting. Like the rest of the companies who slab cards it probably is all about the all mighty dollar. This is just my opinion.

W.M.

Old 03-26-2002, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Roy wrote:

"I personally find it refreshing that the industry is trying to get people back to collecting rather than chasing the almighty dollar."

Roy, I don't want to sound cynical, but I think the set registry is a way for SGC to chase the almighty dollar... after all, if you want your "set" to be registered, all of the cards in it have to be graded by SGC. So if I want to put together some type of registered set, I'm going to have to spend a nice chunk of change on grading fees.

I certainly agree with Roy in one respect - this really doesn't affect me (at least not directly), so if others want to do it more power to them. However, I'm at a complete loss as to the point of having a "registered" set. If you've got a whole set graded by SGC, how is it better if it's registered?

Jeff

Old 03-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: leon

Because registering costs money (ala grading fees)....and registering is just better. uh..er...uh.....I'm trying to think but nothing's happenin'....as Curly Stooge would say.......as much as I like SGC I just don't see my cards having any added anything if registered....the only small benefit would be if an honest thief stole them and didn't take them out of their holders I could potentially track them better..uh....yeah ..that's it.........and if I was studious enough I would have all of their id's written down already......but I'm not....my penny's worth....regards all...

Old 03-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Why does everyone have a problem with SGC trying to run their business as a business? Aren't they supposed to try to make money? I think the set registry is a great idea (albeit one pioneered by PSA) for a grading company. I'm neither for or against slabbing in general, but I will say that I have more faith in SGC than in any other company. Plus they have the best holders.

For myself, I find the concept laughable, but I'm all for it being available. There is absolutely no benefit for the collector other than the ego boost. I've thought about it and keep coming back to ego being the sole motivating factor.

There are many collectors on this board who freely share their collections with us, via images posted here or having their own websites with scans of all their cards. So I can't believe that someone would need to have a "registered" set in order to be able to share it with other collectors.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am all for a business making money off of people's egos. If you want your name at the top of the "set registry" list as having the highest rated set, it'll cost you.

And it should.

-Ryan

Old 03-26-2002, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Jay Miller

Jeff--I think if all the cards in a collectors set were slabbed by the same company already then registry would only be an added benefit. However,for sets in the traditional sense (eg 1959 Topps), many people do not grade all the cards, just the stars. For constructed sets, like HOF rookie cards, this forces the collector to grade all the cards through one service in order to register the set. It can also lead to regrading and frequent submitting of cards to try to get the average grade of a set (the basis for set registry) higher. This has nothing to do with altruism on the part of SGC, this is dollars and cents, pure and simple.

Old 03-26-2002, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Tom--drop me an email when you get a chance.

Old 03-27-2002, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: vorthian

Plastic Dog:

<< All it does is encourage people to get cards slabbed that wouldn't otherwise need to be entombed. >>

Is there a published report that I must not have read that states which cards should be slabbed and which ones shouldn't?

<< I like SGC, but this is bad for the hobby. >>

I disagree. The set registry is keeping the numbers up for PSA, as they have been down from last year at this time.

Jeff Obermeyer:

<< Roy, I don't want to sound cynical, but I think the set registry is a way for SGC to chase the almighty dollar...>>

Those $(@(#! capitalists! Shame on them.

Ryan Christoff:

<< There is absolutely no benefit for the collector other than the ego boost. I've thought about it and keep coming back to ego being the sole motivating factor. >>

At the upper end of the grading spectrum, I can see how that is possible but what about those others who chase lower graded sets - is that driven by the ego as well? Here's a benefit for you - the fact that the PSA set registry has brought some people together with a common interest.

Jay Miller:

<< However,for sets in the traditional sense (eg 1959 Topps), many people do not grade all the cards, just the stars. >>

Would a 1974 Topps set be considered in the traditional sense?

Brian Hodes:

<< While did like looking at many of the cards (Hal's HOF collection is neat) >>

It will be much neater when he adds my Stan.

<< I think that the net effect of these registries is that they foster a certain competition that I could definitely do without. >>

There is no competition unless you perceive it as such. Take your time, have fun and build at your leisure.

----------

I'm all for the set registry. Noone is forcing you to submit your cards to make a "graded set", it's all up to you to decide if you want to or not. If you do, whatever the reason, and you are happy with it - great. If not, whatever the reason, and you are happy with it - great. And for those that are dead against this set registry concept and/or graded cards in general, when you sell a graded card - do you think of yourself as a hypocrite at all?

Old 03-27-2002, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: HalleyGator

Thanks to Vorthian ... I will indeed be able to add a PSA 5 Stan Coveleski card to my set in the immediate future!!

Thanks to Jay Miller ... I will be adding a PSA 1 or 2 Mayo Cut Plug Ed Delahanty card to my set in the near future!!

Thanks to John (for giving me an EBay heads-up) ... I will be adding a PSA 2 or 3 Ross Youngs card to my set in the near future!!

This will put my set at 99.5% completion.

PS - I refuse to ever again utter the cursed name of the little 19th century runt who keeps eluding my capture and thus keeps me from 100% completion...

Old 03-27-2002, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: harry

Though grading and set registries may not be for everyone, I do see why they appeal to many.

Old 03-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Brian K. Hodes

The other day I checked out the PSA set registry stuff just to see what all of the noise was about. While did like looking at many of the cards (Hal's HOF collection is neat) I think that the net effect of these registries is that they foster a certain competition that I could definitely do without. This is particularly evident with the 1950's and early 60's sets but I think it may be creeping into our vintage domain as well.
What happens is not just that collectors want sets or even nice sets they want NICER sets than others and the registries create a (putative) objective way of doing this...

Old 03-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: runscott

...for the consumer, that is. Is there a benefit to anyone other than the grading company? I'm ignorant about this (and lots of other things), but it sounds like you've given this some thought. Thanks

...how about a Cobb set registry (every Cobb card made while he was a player?)

Old 03-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Scott--My guess is that the grading company will define a set any way people want for registry purposes as long as there are X number of collectors who show an interest. Ty Cobb cards could be a set. So could cards of players named Elmer if there was interest in that. I guess the only other factor would have to be that the number of cards in the set could be agreed upon so the grading company could judge completeness.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Marc S.

Runscott-

A Ty Cobb player set could easily be assembled in the registry. In fact, there is already a mini-one for the T-206 Cobbs:

http://www.psacard.com/new_set_registry/display_rsets.chtml?setid=196&set_name=1909%2D11%20T206%20Ty%20Cobbs

For other stars, like Mickey Mantle, there are two set registries in the works: one for all his Topps cards, and one for all his cards. I am sure that any interested party could easily come up with one for Cobb, if desired.

Old 03-27-2002, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

I had no idea there were so many types of sets being registered...so it is sort of an ego thing. That's okay. I've added the link to PSA registered baseball sets, to the vintage links list I send out. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2002, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

For those truly ego-driven, they are now going to give out awards!:

FIRST ANNUAL PSA SET REGISTRY AWARDS

Dear PSA Set Registrants,

This fall we will recognize those collectors who have registered
outstanding sets in the PSA Set Registry.

1. Engraved plaques will be presented to the following set
registrants:
a) Best Collection of the Year
b) Best Set of the Year
c) Vintage Set of the Year (1974 and older) - Per Sport
(baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and misc.)
d) Modern Set of the Year (1975 to present) - Per Sport
(baseball, basketball, football, hockey, and misc.)
e) Best Player Set of the Year
f) Rookie Set Registrant of the Year - Best New Set in 2002

2. Also, we will be inducting 5 all-time great sets into the
PSA Set Registry Sportscard Collecting Hall of Fame. Hall of Fame
collections and the best sets listed above will be selected based
on a vote of sportscard experts.

3. The collector with the finest set in each category will receive
a "Best of the Registry" certificate. For example, the collector
with the finest 1971 Topps baseball set will receive an award.

In addition, all winners will receive recognition on the PSA
website for their fine efforts and each winning set will be
recognized with a "Best of the Registry" icon. If you are a winner
and wish to remain anonymous, we will announce only your set name.

Beginning in two months, the leaders in each category will be
published in SMR ("Sports Market Report"). We will create a column
dedicated to the registry and we will rotate the leaders in each
issue. For example, one issue will list top baseball sets, another
issue will list top football sets, etc.

The deadline for set registration and updates is October 31, 2002.
Please plan ahead when sending potential set registry cards to PSA
for grading, as all sets will be judged on November 1, 2002.

We have received a tremendous response from the public and it's
clear that just about everyone loves this new concept. PSA wants
to reward those who participate and acknowledge the hard work it
takes to assemble these great collections. Please share your
feedback with us and watch for updates and more information on the
awards program at www.psacard.com/new_set_registry.

Joe Orlando and BJ Searls

Old 03-27-2002, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: petecld

I won't be rushing put to have any of my sets registered but if they are doing this to increase business, hey, more power to them. Is see nothing wrong with it. I'd rather see this then see them grade reprints. I have considered having a full set graded just to make a nice looking display. Now to convince SGC of the huge jump in business they would get if they started to just authenticate vintage cards.

The PSA set awards - THAT'S truely a sad comment on our hobby.

Old 03-27-2002, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 03-27-2002, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: MW

edited

Old 03-28-2002, 04:01 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: vorthian

Halleygator:

<< Thanks to Vorthian ... I will indeed be able to add a PSA 5 Stan Coveleski card to my set in the immediate future!! >>

I overnighted that beast to you, Hal. Thanks to Hal ... I'll be stopping at Powell's bookstore in Chicago to upgrade my library.

runscott:

<< ...for the consumer, that is. Is there a benefit to anyone other than the grading company? >>

I don't understand why some people assume that the grading companies are making out like bandits so to speak. Pre-set registry days, there were many people chasing completely graded sets. Did the concepts of "competition" and "ego" exist then? Now take that and apply it to those people who are not concerned with competion and ego and just want what they like.

People also need to realize that the PSA super-collectors named Fogel and Merkle have amazing collections, but much of it was purchased many years ago because they wanted the best possible at that time. By today's standards, they have nothing into them. Going off on a tangent, that could be why they take the GAI route - because the risk is low.

How this benefits the consumer? I have noticed more alliances being made thanks to the PSA set registry than prior. It's also bringing people together with a common interest. And to some, it gives them a goal in which they will be recognized in some way.

<< ...how about a Cobb set registry (every Cobb card made while he was a player?) >>

As Marc said, they will be doing player sets as long as there is enough interest.

<< I had no idea there were so many types of sets being registered...so it is sort of an ego thing. >>

I wouldn't say it's solely an ego thing. Believe it or not, there are some people that are just plain bored and don't care. Then again there are also some that are driven by the ego thing, but I wouldn't say all.

petecld:

<< Now to convince SGC of the huge jump in business they would get if they started to just authenticate vintage cards. >>

I'm all for that idea as long as it stays with a broad sense kept in mind. The day it becomes specific, it will confuse some people - much like BCCG and their 10 grade meaning MINT OR BETTER, which has prompted bid retractions because the Beckett 10 grade was never MINT OR BETTER. As far as people attributing grades to "authentic only" cards in an attempt to deceive, people are going to do what they want to do. Heck, take a glance at eBay now and I'm sure you will see enough of that going on - which is amusing at times, other times it's quite repulsive.

<< The PSA set awards - THAT'S truely a sad comment on our hobby. >>

Do explain...

Old 03-28-2002, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

...I WILL BE HUGE!!!...then on to bigger things, like a registered Nap Rucker set...

I bet we could get PSA to grade those damned blankets if we convinced them there was a huge following that wanted to build registered sets...and compete with each other for the highest-graded registered blanket set!

Old 03-28-2002, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

I would like to start a registry set of players flipping off the cameraman. I know of the Radbourne Old Judge pose and the Billy Ripkin. Does anyone know of any others? I'm afraid if there are only two cards in my set PSA will not register it. If they do register it, I know what I want my certificate to look like.

Old 03-28-2002, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

The subtle stylings of Billy Martin on his 1972 Topps card! That is a must for the flip-off registry.

Old 03-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Set Registry

Posted By: Julie Vognar

he has "**** face" written in big letters on the base of his bat. Then there's the "scribble" correction, the "square" correction, and the airbrushed correction, leaving the bat looking just like a bat.