NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Doug Goodman

Default OT - Bellinger "record"

This post should probably be in the watercooler section, but does anybody actually ever go there?

Leon - feel free to move it if you feel it's best...

Bellinger got his 88th total base last night, breaking the record for most before May 1.

I'm a Dodger fan, and I like the kid, so I'm happy that he set a record, such as it is, and with 4 more games he will probably extend it, but...

In this era of incredibly stupid stats, when the season starts in March, I am curious what the record is for TB in the first 32 games of the season, which is how many games the Dodgers are playing this year, before May 1.

I half way randomly chose to look at the 1927 Yankees and found that Lou Gehrig had 100 total bases in the first 32 games. He had 87 thru the first 28 games, so Bellinger "beat" him.

I'm not sure how to check other players / years in a way that is faster than my brute force check every game on Retrosheet method. If anybody else knows how to do it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be curious about that "record".

Thanx,
Doug
Old 04-27-2019, 04:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Default PS

Ruth had 90 thru 28 games in 1921, but then went 0-10 in the next 4 games (with 9 walks).

Doug
Old 04-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

In this snowflake era he's probably one swing or slide away from the DL.

I hope not, but it seems the way of today's game.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In this snowflake era he's probably one swing or slide away from the DL.

I hope not, but it seems the way of today's game.
Groin strains are endemic in SoCal. Just ask Trout

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Remember when the season started in April? And ended in October?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:40 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

A fun Bellinger fact is that Clay and Cody had played in 6 seasons prior to 2019, Clay 1999-2001 Yankees and 2002 Angels and Cody 2017-2018 Dodgers with all 6 teams appearing in the World Series.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
A fun Bellinger fact is that Clay and Cody had played in 6 seasons prior to 2019, Clay 1999-2001 Yankees and 2002 Angels and Cody 2017-2018 Dodgers with all 6 teams appearing in the World Series.
Hmmm.... I don't remember him being on the Angels at all. Not that I remember every player, but have a pretty good memory for playoffs.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Hmmm.... I don't remember him being on the Angels at all. Not that I remember every player, but have a pretty good memory for playoffs.
How could you forget that Clay Bellinger played two games for the 2002 Angels?

In his single plate appearance he struck out. I don’t believe he was on their post season roster, although it is doubtful that the Angels would have made it to the post season without his contribution.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
How could you forget that Clay Bellinger played two games for the 2002 Angels?

In his single plate appearance he struck out. I don’t believe he was on their post season roster, although it is doubtful that the Angels would have made it to the post season without his contribution.
LOL I missed that game I guess. OK, thanks.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:44 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I didn’t say he was on the playoff roster. It’s just interesting that between the two of them they appeared in 6 seasons with all the teams going to the World Series.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:21 AM
Doug Goodman

When I saw all the posts to this thread I got excited that somebody had actually answered by question...

Oh well.

Doug "he was 0-3 tonight" Goodman
Old 04-29-2019, 01:27 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Another HR today and a few more RBIs. Of course, he hit this off T Williams (Ted?, or some other pitcher who lost his head before facing Bellinger).

Last edited by oldjudge; 04-29-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 AM
Barry Sloate

His slugging pct. is .913.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM

I don't know the answer, but I found that Jimmie Foxx had 109 in his first 32 games in 1932 and Chuck Klein had 107 in his first 32 games in 1930
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 04-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Rick

Hi Doug,

The Dodger announcers did comment on the earlier season staring date, but only in relation to Chase Utley's record for most total bases by May 1. They said Bellinger had broken Utley's record in fewer games played as well as by May1, but didn't discuss any other scenarios. If you don't use a date to compare, then it can get pretty random, like most total bases after 37 games, then 38 games, to the point where, who cares. But baseball announcers are pretty good at coming up with random statistics and comparisons.

It is interesting to watch Bellinger this year, He has cut his strike-outs in half (last year 27%, this year 13 1/2%), and is hitting the ball hard nearly every time he makes contact. I'm sure pitchers will adjust how they pitch him. I've been a fan of his since his rookie year and he is the only current Dodger I collect game used items of.

Rick
Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Groin strains are endemic in SoCal. Just ask Trout

Now I'm no doctor, but maybe he'll get an oblique in his groin?

I know, I know...follow that with the obligatory groan.

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-29-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Larry Young

Either way the dudes on fire.
I'd like to see Kershaw win one before he has to retire.

So go Dodgers I guess.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I don't know the answer, but I found that Jimmie Foxx had 109 in his first 32 games in 1932 and Chuck Klein had 107 in his first 32 games in 1930
Thank you
Old 04-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Rick

As of games thru Sunday, Bellinger has 111 total bases through 30 games (14 HR, 1 triple, 6 doubles, 23 singles, 17 walks). And he didn't play at all in one of those games. 3.7 bases per game average.

Rick
Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
When I saw all the posts to this thread I got excited that somebody had actually answered by question...

Oh well.

Doug "he was 0-3 tonight" Goodman
Yes people do go to the water cooler section. Hope that answers your question.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
As of games thru Sunday, Bellinger has 111 total bases through 30 games (14 HR, 1 triple, 6 doubles, 23 singles, 17 walks). And he didn't play at all in one of those games. 3.7 bases per game average.

Rick
Walks do not count toward total bases, only hits, so Bellinger is at 94.

Hank Aaron had 107 TB thru 30 games in 1959, plus 11 walks.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-29-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Rick

Never knew that walks didn't figure in total bases. I know total bases is used in calculating slugging %, but I was always told that a walk was as good as a hit.

Rick