NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Dan

Default 1970s baseball uniform questions

I recently found several jerseys and a pair of pants that I had bought back in the 80s. I bought the pants at an Orioles Christmas sale that they used to hold for season ticket owners. The label has five numbers - the first is the size and the last, I assume, is the year. Any clue what the other numbers are? Same with a Montreal Expos jersey I bought at a show during that same era - there is a tag with numbers as shown on the photo - one I assume is the year, but I'm wondering what the other number is. The number on the jersey is 4, but I can see on closer inspection that it was originally 14, but someone removed the 1 before I bought it. Finally, I'm attaching pictures of a Cal Ripken Sr. jersey that I also bought at an Orioles Christmas sale (it has a Rawlings size 40 tag on it). He wore number 47 from, I think, 76-85 before switching to number 7. I assumed when I bought it that it was game worn, but now I'm wondering if there is a way that an authenticator would be able to determine if it is game worn and, if so, who could do that? Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pants.jpg (9.6 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg rangers.jpg (8.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg rip1.jpg (9.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg rip2.jpg (9.7 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:51 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Usually players were issued two home and two road uniforms for the season. The number you see on the Expos jersey is more than likely the number indicating the set. So in this case it will a 1978 road jersey set number 1.

As for the pants I am less than knowledgeable on pants tagging but I think your tagging goes as such

34= waist size
25= Inseam or player number
29= inseam or player number
1 = Set
78= Year

I am sure that one of the two sets of numbers is the player number but not sure exactly which one.

Last edited by whitehse; 06-16-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Usually players were issued two home and two road uniforms for the season. The number you see on the Expos jersey is more than likely the number indicating the set. So in this case it will a 1978 road jersey set number 1.

As for the pants I am less than knowledgeable on pants tagging but I think your tagging goes as such

34= waist size
25= Inseam or player number
29= inseam or player number
1 = Set
78= Year

I am sure that one of the two sets of numbers is the player number but not sure exactly which one.
Interesting, thanks. I guess I could measure the inseam and figure it out. From the numbers it would be ken singleton or rich dauer, and I would think it would have to be dauer (25) with a 29 inseam since he was 6 feet and singleton was 6'4"". You might not be able to tell from this picture but the right knee is patched. Would a team do that back then rather than just replace the pants? I guess if they only issued two pairs maybe they would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.6 KB, 156 views)
Old 06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Clint

Can you show the Rawlings tag and is there a year tag on the Ripken? That will help greatly. I'm guessing your jersey is from 1976-1980. They started using nameplates in 76 like yours. Descente made the Orioles homes in 81-82. In 1983 the Rawlings patch switched from the right side to the left side of the jersey. The size sounds right for Ripken Sr. From what I can tell from the small pictures given the Ripken looks good to me but would need to see the tags.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossfan View Post
Interesting, thanks. I guess I could measure the inseam and figure it out. From the numbers it would be ken singleton or rich dauer, and I would think it would have to be dauer (25) with a 29 inseam since he was 6 feet and singleton was 6'4"". You might not be able to tell from this picture but the right knee is patched. Would a team do that back then rather than just replace the pants? I guess if they only issued two pairs maybe they would.
I used to work for a MLB team and yes...they would patch rather than buy new. I was shocked when I first saw the amount of patches on the players pants as I always thought the big leages could afford new pants every time they got ripped. Lots of patches on those pants that for sure.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Can you show the Rawlings tag and is there a year tag on the Ripken? That will help greatly. I'm guessing your jersey is from 1976-1980. They started using nameplates in 76 like yours. Descente made the Orioles homes in 81-82. In 1983 the Rawlings patch switched from the right side to the left side of the jersey. The size sounds right for Ripken Sr. From what I can tell from the small pictures given the Ripken looks good to me but would need to see the tags.
There isn't a year tag. Here is the Rawlings tag - it's on the right front of the jersey at the bottom. I think it is the right size for Senior since there's a later jersey of his on the new Goldin auction that is a 40. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
And.rew Whi.te

I would think that the Ripken jersey is either a team issue jersey (was made for the team but never used by any team members) that was never actually worn in a game or it is a store bought jersey. No tagging, other than the Rawlings tag would be troubling to me.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I would think that the Ripken jersey is either a team issue jersey (was made for the team but never used by any team members) that was never actually worn in a game or it is a store bought jersey. No tagging, other than the Rawlings tag would be troubling to me.
It definitely wasn't store bought, since I bought it from the Orioles in the 80s and I think (not sure) that replica authentic jerseys weren't being made back then. It could very well be team issued.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Clint

The area where the year and set tag would be is missing thread. It should have been in the lower right side of the Rawlings tag. It just came loose and was lost at some point.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
The area where the year and set tag would be is missing thread. It should have been in the lower right side of the Rawlings tag. It just came loose and was lost at some point.
Interesting. I wonder if the team would have removed it before selling it.