NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Robert Williams

Default Is buying vintage cards on Ebay subject to SALES TAX????

I am not talking about paying tax on the profit you make on a card. I am talking about the PURCHASE of a vintage baseball card off of Ebay or thru one of the various auctions houses. For example, let's say you buy a 1959 Topps Don Mossi PSA 9 for $100. Are you supposed to pay 7.5% sales tax on the card?
Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 PM
qualitycards

If you live in the same state as the seller, you should, unless you have a tax #
Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Robert Williams

What if you don't live in the same state? Do I need to declare it on my taxes? Add 6.5% to all my purchases?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 PM
Dan Studebaker

If the seller does not collect taxes then it falls under the "use tax" regulations for your state. Use tax is declared on your income taxes.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Robert Williams

But Im not buying them for personal use. I am buying them to resale.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Bruce C@rter

Sellers are suppose to collect sales tax when they sell anything to there own state. If it is sold out of state then the buyer is suppose to pay the sales taxes to there own state. Not many people do it though.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Dan Studebaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
But Im not buying them for personal use. I am buying them to resale.
Then as Jay previously mentioned you will need a reseller's certificate. You will then give a signed document with this number to the seller and the seller will not collect sales tax. You will pay taxes when you sell the card in the course of doing business. You will also need other business licenses based on the laws in your state.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:02 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
What if you don't live in the same state? Do I need to declare it on my taxes? Add 6.5% to all my purchases?
For any items you purchase for resale from outside of your home state, you do not have to pay your state's use tax on these purchases....this is according to my accountant. Obviously you would need a business license for your business to be eligible to avoid paying these use taxes.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Anthøny N. ex

In California at least you need not only a business license but a resale license from the State Board of Equalization.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
In California at least you need not only a business license but a resale license from the State Board of Equalization.
Seriously? State Board of Equalization?
I guess some animals are more equal than others.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There is no statewide business license in CA. Individual cities and/or counties have business license requirements and tax structures. Los Angeles, for example, has a gross receipts tax for many trades and businesses, which sucks ass big-time since you owe taxes even if you lose money on the whole, and forces many of us to locate our businesses in Burbank, Pasadena, or a number of other municipalities that collect only a flat rate tax for the year. My business in Burbank gets hit up for about $100 a year in business license fees, but my sole year in L.A., virtually the same gross receipts, cost me over two grand. It is a damned protection racket. The L.A. business license auditor popped into my office when it was in Hollywood and all but said "I smell smoke; pay up." Moved to Burbank as soon as my lease expired. But I digress...

As for the OP, sales tax is either collected on the purchase by the seller or you are required to declare the purchase and pay your state's use tax, which is the functional equivalent of a sales tax. In CA it is paid on the same tax return form as your sales tax if you have a resale permit, or on your state income tax return. However, every state has different rules. It is an administrative nightmare if you have a business in multiple states.

What has caused confusion as far as internet sales is that the internet companies and big players in internet sales [like Amazon] have fought tooth and nail to try and prevent the states from forcing them to collect and remit sales taxes. The laws are also riddled with exceptions to tax requirements, like food, which is not taxed in CA.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-26-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:33 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Wisconsin

In Wisconsin, anything that is purchased outside of Wisconsin, whether the purchase is eBay, Walmart, or a flea market, is subject to"use" tax. If you have a state sales tax number and you are buying to resell, the use tax may not apply, because you will pay sales tax on the sale of that item when it sells.

If you don't have a sales tax number, then you will need to pay the use tax, although if you don't have a sales tax number, then you probably aren't reporting any of this income anyway.

If you make a purchase in Wisconsin, then you have to pay sales tax on the item, unless you are buying the item to resell, and once again, you should have a sales tax permit. A few years ago, a state tax agent came to a show in Wisconsin and went to each dealer and asked to see their sales tax permit.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 03-26-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

I buy all of my cards from Ralph in Rahway.
Much easier.

Ralph

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.