NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2022, 10:34 PM
Joe M.

Default Off topic Miguel Cabrera 3000 hits

Could happen tomorrow. 1:00pm, MLB channel, good luck Miguel. Sits at 2999.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-20-2022, 11:19 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I’m seeing ticket sellers pre sales going for $80 a pop and Miguel might go 0-4 tomorrow lol.

I’m calling a nice liner into right field. On an outside off speed pitch.
5th inning.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 04-21-2022, 07:03 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Rare Jasson Dominguez cards are selling for half a million.

Hard to find a Cabrera card that has sold for more than $25,000.

Seriously, what the hell is going in this hobby?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-21-2022 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

I know. It almost makes you wish that Dominguez would Brien Taylor it, just so the card bros would eat $hit on their 'investment'.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-21-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I know. It almost makes you wish that Dominguez would Brien Taylor it, just so the card bros would eat $hit on their 'investment'.
I have no problem with folks speculating, but to me speculating is buying 10 nice new shiny cards of an unknown player for a few hundred dollars each and putting them in a safe as lottery tickets. . . . .not spending a half a million dollars on a card of an unproven guy. I don't understand the bullish argument this stuff that makes sense on any level.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:27 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
I have no problem with folks speculating, but to me speculating is buying 10 nice new shiny cards of an unknown player for a few hundred dollars each and putting them in a safe as lottery tickets. . . . .not spending a half a million dollars on a card of an unproven guy. I don't understand the bullish argument this stuff that makes sense on any level.
i just bought a a second year jim brown im happy
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 AM
Chris Porter

I've watched Miguel Cabrera for the 15 or so years that he's been with the Tigers. Rarely in today's game do hitters hit the ball where it's pitched the way that he does. Fastball out over the plate at 98? No problem - line single to Right. Slider waffling over the middle of the plate? No problem - line single to Center.

It is absolutely no wonder that this guy is sitting on 3,000 hits, and will most likely be a first ballot HOF. I would think that some of today's softball players that last a year or two in the Big Leagues would learn a thing or two from him, but they never seem to.

Congrats Miguel!!!!

Crispy
Old 04-21-2022, 07:35 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I am a huge Tigers fan and look at Miggy like many fans of late with a grain of salt. His performance has not matched his salary hit in years, the vast number of diehard fans have not placed these milestones higher than the expiration of his contract and the hope it somewhat gives to a struggling franchise which has largely underspent and underperformed for seasons now.

His contribution was greatly appreciated, but is seen as an albatross around the neck of the organization as of the past years and is completely immovable. Some solace is given in these stepping stones and he will be first ballot. I just often wonder if the fiscal reward was not so great could he have retired earlier and made a stronger impression versus the slow degradation of his skills.

I think while still honorable and tasteful, the retirement celebration for Migs or him moving to other pastures, will far exceed these 500/3000 markers as it will signal reinvestment in the organization (well at least hopefully as Chris Illich certainly is not his father and I am open still to deciding if that is a good thing or not).

The values for Cabrera have never blown up due to many notorious PR disasters due to alcohol, ego and a refusal to bridge his language gap during his prime. I don't know if those will change in time, however I have piles of Miggy rookies and don't see it as a good investment as the "what have you done for me lately" modern collectors drop him as a past star dragging out a career.

Just my observations locally within the Detroit Area (outside of the Central American fanbase where he will always be a legend).

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 04-21-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:28 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
I completely agree, sir!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 04-21-2022, 07:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Don't worry, he will be.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:45 AM
Dave

Quote:

As a Yankee fan "Shut yo mouth!"

As a realist, the kids still young and the pandemic didn't help his development, but he's shown almost nothing so far in the low minors.

Maybe he'll take the "but he's a great athlete" path, and develop into something by the time he's 25, like Aaron Judge.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:42 PM
Fred

Quote:
+1 and then some

I'd take a Miggy rookie any day over Dominguez.

Last edited by Fred; 04-21-2022 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:57 PM
Ian H@ll

A card:

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 04-21-2022, 07:42 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

Admittedly, I have not checked but it seemed Dominguez was falling like a penny from the Empire State Observation Deck for a bit. Have they returned?

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.