NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
My approach is: is this a problem the card had when it came out of the pack? If so, I don't care so much. So gum stains, centering, print marks, etc., not usually a big deal. Creases, stains, writing, rips, etc., more of a problem.
I am mostly the same way, although lately, I try my best to pick up centered cards as much as possible.
I wasn't always this way, but from reading here, over and over again, about centered cards, I have now been converted.

I think paper loss should be ignored.

I read all the time on E-Bay, if it wasn't for the paper loss, or the creasing, or the writing, this card would be mint.

No sh*t, Sherlock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM1.jpg (78.0 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by irv; 08-12-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:59 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

1. Centering
2. Centering
3. Centering
4. Corners
5. Edges

The first thing I always look at is centering! It does depend on the issue, as centering is tough for some, but typically, I'm moving on if it isn't centered 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2659.jpg (70.1 KB, 278 views)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:25 PM
Raymond Culpepper

for graded cards: EX and above...with no qualifiers.

for raw cards: EX-MT

MY BIG CONCERNS ABOUT AMERICA:

Internally- We spend too much time assuring our rights without learning the responsibilities that should accompany them.
Externally - No matter how much we claim to take the higher moral ground, we have neither respected nor attempted to understand other cultures.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Now that Hornsby is a PSA 10!!!!

That's a great card (also loved the Lelivelt - very cool card!).

Let me know what you have!
Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 AM
Andy M.

AJ,

First of all, that is a tremendous PSA 4 Mantle Buddy.
Here is the way that I prefer my cards when collecting them.

1- Corners
2- Centering
3- No Paper Loss
4- Eye Appeal
5- Edges
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 AM
Dan
Dan Hi.cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
My approach is: is this a problem the card had when it came out of the pack? If so, I don't care so much. So gum stains, centering, print marks, etc., not usually a big deal. Creases, stains, writing, rips, etc., more of a problem.
I'm the same way. Of course I prefer a nicely centered card, but I'd take all the other factors that are condition related (strong corners, absence of creases, etc.) over a better centered copy with condition issues. Centering seems to the biggest factor in paying a premium for most cards, so I'm happy paying less for cards that display 70/30 centering just like the day they were cut. A tad of paperloss doesnt really bother me either, especially on 19th/early 20th century issues.
B/S/T deals completed with Kzoo, VintageGamerN00b, RayBShotz, Batter67up, brian29575, ChuckLaw08, itjclarke, 3-2-count, GradyM333, 39special, sox1903wschamp, Republicaninmass, BKasarda, vcuono, mlfink83, vintagewhitesox, bobbvc, bobbyw8469, 71buc, MattyFan, pencil1974(3), Webster, CMIZ5290, glchen, sycks22, Epps, GehrigFan, 1952boyntoncollector, wilkiebaby11, chiprop, ezez420, aloondilana, BosseFieldBoy, AddieJoss, Baseball*Collectibles
Old 08-13-2017, 06:47 AM
And*y Quig!ey

It's interesting reading the responses.
For me, I guess I care about things that are distractions.
I'm fine with cards that carry evidence of the fact that the original owner was a little kid 50, 70, or 100 years ago. In fact, I kind of like "honest wear" - along with the discount it brings.
So, generally I need centering to be decent and have no creases or wear that detract much from the image - particularly important if it touches the image of the player. Corners can be a bit rounded and the borders can be a little discolored - particularly okay if it's uniform around the card.
Here's a decent sense of my taste in pre-war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diamond Stars HOFers2__sm.jpg (17.1 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by ajquigs; 08-13-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
A great aspect of the hobby are collector's varying attractions to a card's make-up. For me it's (in order of importance)

1. Centering
2. Registration (clarity of image, lack of print defect)
3. Corners
4. Stains
5. Paper integrity (chipping, rough edges)

Would be curious to hear opinions of others here and Add a card that typifies your choices!

Here's mine:
Amazing 51B Mantle AJ! Higher graded ones can't beat the eye appeal, registration, and centering on that Mick!

I always try to look for cards that are centered, have great eye appeal, and a sharp clean image. I can live with slightly rounded corners since I generally buy low grade anyways. I don't mind minor paper loss on the back if the front has all those attributes. I certainly didn't mind it on the T206 Cobb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 3.33.38 PM.jpg (69.8 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-3.jpg (77.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Bob.T*th

Default nice

Jerry, those are two nice cards.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Glenn

Really depends on the card. Some of what I collect is plentiful modern stuff, so for that I'll just try to find a raw one on eBay that looks NM+ and if there's anything noticeably off I'll pass. Some of what I collect is unique or very nearly so, so the condition is irrelevant. (Can't find a better example if there's only one example.) For the moderately tough pre-war cards - like, say, a Kotton, it's probably like this.

1. No heavy creases
2. No paper loss
3. Player's image uninterrupted by stains or print defects
4. Clean back
5. No "poor" corners or edges
6. Centering I guess