NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default Could This Photograph be Babe Ruth?

Posted By: peter ullman

nice work, Mark...so aside from the fact this chap looks nothing like George Herman...now we have scientific proof!(blinking...bouncing smiley face!)

Old 03-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the babe would never wear that sissy cap!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

nor that shade of rouge!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Mark,

I am not so sure about your analysis... That could also be the angle the photo was taken. If you look below, it appears that his ear lines up with his brow?? I am not saying one way or another, I am just not sure about the angle of the two photos you are comparing.

[linked image]

Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Mark- thanks for putting those pictures side by side. It does appear pretty conclusively that these are two different people. However, I did find the photo compelling enough to have others look at it.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

not in your wildest dreams....

(refrain)!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Shawn...

It's a fair point you make - that's why I tried to find photos taken at close to the same angle. You can tilt your head anyway you want and make the top of your ear above or below your brow line. The point is how does it look when both heads are at about the same orientation.

Also - Ruth's ear is visibly longer and thinner.

I know a few posters think the whole excersise was silly, since to them he obviously did not look like Ruth - but I have seen enough cases were 2 images were thought not to be the same person, but did turn out to be the person. So a simple comparison to settle the issue is not a waste of time.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Well personally I didn't think it was him just from a cursory glance, but there is enough resemblance to warrant a little effort.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator

That was pretty much my feeling all along. There was enough of a resemblance to at least examine it for a minute or two. I appreciate those who put so much time into it. I wasn't expecting this strong of a response.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

Rob D.....the answer to your question is simple.... oh no i better hide..........werrrrreeeerrraaaaa.....werrrrraaa.. .siren going off....ohhhh noooo....it looks like wait a second is that......hmmmmmm....ohhhhjeeezzzz....that is a giant jawbreaker with a whistle on top and Network54 signs on his door.......shhhhhh....shhhhh....every media outlet in the country is here for this one....cnn,nbc,espn,rolling stone..........crowd is buzzing and camera flashes are going off.......one reporter like a idiot asks "hey Wonka what happened to the chocolate eclair flying saucer?".......the reporter is instantly and i mean instantly beaten to death by the other Network54 moderators because how dare anyone speak until spoken to.....Wonka steps out of the jawbreaker and raises his hands.........the crowd goes instantly silent because your sweetness is about to speak while the dead reporter is carried off in a bodybag.

Wonka speaks........

If Marshall would have posted this picture there would have been 0 responses because no one would dare want to associate themselves with being a part of...........-Gasp-.......wait a second i see a guy coming thru the wave of reporters.......i cannot be clear on who it is..........is that.....-Gasp-......why yes that is.......it is Jeff Lichtman...........Lichtman has a bullhorn to make his point......uhhhh ohhh....who is that running thru the crowd.....oh sh&^%t look out jeff...look out bro......it is akatz with a briefcase full of negative reports from certain students...........whoooossssshhhhhhh.......he swings and misses.........Lichtman jumps and and ....jeezzzzz it looks like Ty Cobb kinda sliding into third kicks Akatz in the .....yowziieeeeee....

Stay tuned for the next episode of Network54 prime time action baby 24/7 BRING THE NOISE

Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Uhhh ohhh is right.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

For me the biggest differences are the bottom half of the faces.

Ruth's nose, especially around the nostrils, is broad and fleshy.
The other fellow's nose is much finer in appearance.

Also, the space between Ruth's lower lip and chin area is relatively small, and the chin itself disappears quickly in a small triangle.
The other guy has much more even proportions from eyes to nose to chin, and the chin seems far more prominent and jutting in comparison.

I certainly understand why someone could convince themselves they see a strong resemblence, but I think at best he's Ruth's better looking older cousin happy.gif.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

that is 1of 3 of my Uncle Steve's.

Barry Iam not sure that any one specific spot had any Ruth resemblence. It looks more like Clark Griffith then anyone imaginable, but I dont even think that is close. WHat happens on SUndays in Brooklyn should stay in Brooklyn. Bet it's good though.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Don

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!