NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Yankeefan51

Default Our Best Find In 20 Years

As long long-time collectors, we fondly remember visiting off- the- road flee markets, small NYC antique stores, and a few old grandmothers who still had their husband's baseball cards. There were some truly terrific opportunities in those days. We acquired a plethora of items, many of which we would not be able to purchase today,

Until today, our best "find" took place at a bowling alley in southern California. On that raining Saturday in 1991 we were bowling (with our then wife). We had lunch in the bowling alley and much to our amazement there was a large St. Louis Stars 1923 team photo with two Negro League Hall of Fame members.

We asked the owner if he would sell it... He said it was a lot of money- $100
and we then owned a piece that has been appraised for 100x what we paid.

Well, strange things happen when you least expect them. For the past year we have been very ill, and not very active in the hobby. The National was our return to the "love of our life". We have been very fortunate since the National and have added more than 40 very important cards and memorabilia pieces to our collection.

This morning, along with the help of our personal assistant, we took inventory of the COLLECTION, to ensure that all of the "better items" were on our insurance policy.

At the bottom of one of our storage draws,, we discovered a wonderful 1913
near mint condition Homstead Team Grays team photo. Whilst we don't recall when we obtained the photo- it came from an auction more than 20 years ago. We have insured the piece. We are so lucky to have found such
a great item in our apartment.

Thanks to all of those with whom we have worked the last sixty days. We hope to invest heavily in our collection in the days and months ahead.

All the best,

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

America's leading collector of high grade, ultra rare baseball memorabilia
Old 08-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

A similar scenario played out in my basement last winter, when I was going through a storage box looking for a particular reference work.

Sandwiched within a stack of Cleveland Indians programs and old hobby magazines was a program and ticket stub from Sonny Siebert's no-hitter against the Senators in 1966. Like Bruce, I couldn't remember where or when I got it, but I was happy to be reacquainted with it.

Edited to add scans and to note that as I was scanning, two newspaper clips from the next day's early editions of the Cleveland papers fell out of the program. I've posted a scan just because I think the writing found on the sports pages nearly 35 years ago can be funny.

"A vigorous tip of the cap to Sonny Siebert ... "
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro.jpg (79.2 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg score.jpg (78.7 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg pd.jpg (48.0 KB, 627 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-29-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Ryan Christoff

Bruce,

I have to disagree with you on that one. The Grays photo is nice, but the Stars photo sounds amazing! Who are the 2 HOFers on it? I know Bell would be there, but who is the other one? It should have several other important non-HOFers as well. "Candy" Jim Taylor (brother of HOFer Ben Taylor) and possibly a very young George Scales. Congrats on the discovery and re-discovery of these pieces.

-Ryan
Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Barry Arnold

Default surprises abound!!

Great stories, Bruce and Rob!!!
Congrats!

I note that you mention you have been facing some rough times with illness,
Bruce. I do hope that things are much better now.

all the best,

barry
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Rich Klein

Default Rob

That Indians program with those notes fell on my b-day; with no disrepect to Bruce, I personally found your program much more interesting as it brings up memories of my youth -- if you are ever interested in trading that piece; please let me know

Rich
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
That Indians program with those notes fell on my b-day; with no disrepect to Bruce, I personally found your program much more interesting as it brings up memories of my youth -- if you are ever interested in trading that piece; please let me know

Rich
Hi Rich,

One of my collecting goals is to get a ticket or ticket stub from every no-hitter thrown by an Indian, so unless I get another stub, I likely won't be looking to sell or trade this one. (Maybe if Scott Garner reads this he'll chime in if he knows of an extra Siebert stub lying around some place.) The program is a bonus to me. I'm sure when I bought this I was thinking only about the ticket stub. So if I can find a ticket stub from that game, I'd have no problem with a trade.

Rob
Old 08-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Hi Rich,

One of my collecting goals is to get a ticket or ticket stub from every no-hitter thrown by an Indian, so unless I get another stub, I likely won't be looking to sell or trade this one. (Maybe if Scott Garner reads this he'll chime in if he knows of an extra Siebert stub lying around some place.) The program is a bonus to me. I'm sure when I bought this I was thinking only about the ticket stub. So if I can find a ticket stub from that game, I'd have no problem with a trade.

Rob
Hi Rich & Rob,
I may possibly know another collector that has an extra Siebert stub. I'll look into it and get back to you once I have an answer.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Phil Garry

My guess on the other Negro League HOF'er is Willie Wells as the photo maybe pictures the 1924-1929 Stars and not 1923
Old 08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Tom Boblitt

Bruce....
Hope your health, like your collection, is getting better. Had a few scares this year myself and it has not been fun. Very fortunate that ultimately they weren't more severe.....
Regards,
Tom
Old 08-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Rich Klein

Default Don't care about the stub

The 6/11 clipping is the part of the item I want believe it or not -- Keep the stub and the program

Rich
Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Cool story. Might want to fix that our then wife typo though.

Last edited by packs; 08-29-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Cool story. Might want to fix that our then wife typo though.
I don't think it's a typo, he's plural.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 PM

Isn't polygamy illegal?