NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default 1870's Baseball Silk....

Posted By: E, Daniel

Now that I've teased you, I have to own up and say there's no scan and I don't own the piece...BUT..

I have the opportunity to buy such a piece and was hoping for some sage words, advice, and idea of value before I pony up what might be a silly amount for it.

The Silk is 9 inches long and undoubtedly authentic to the period - no later than the early 1880's and I believe somewhere from the middle 1870's. It has the club name on it as well as a generic baseball image, although I'm hesitant to name it as I don't want to out the item and ruin the opportunity I might have to buy it. The club was an early major player in the leagues, well known to the public of the times and likely most collectors from this site. The condition is above average.

That's where I run out of puff, and ask for any assistance or knowledge anyone could add.
Is the item scarce?
Does it have great value, any guess would be appreciated.

Again, I'm sorry not to give the exact specifics or provide a scan, though if I choose after getting some opinion here to not pursue it - I'll try and get some pics from the sellers to post.

Appreciate the help.

Daniel

Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You haven't really provided much information, but there is a silk I am picturing that's not too scarce and not too valuable. It shows up with some frequency.

And while I understand you want to keep it under wraps, this is tough to appraise.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat Nester

If it is the Brooklyn Excelsior one that shows up from time to time, it is probably worth about $1,000 to $1,500 in nice condition.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Is it believed to be authentic, and are many known?

Daniel

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

There can't be too many of them out there. Baseball silks are generally rare/scarce items as is.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pat Nester

I have seen it several times over the years offered by major auction houses. Not sure how many there are. Could be only one or two and it just keeps getting recycled through the major auction houses. I have also seen other examples for early east coast teams.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I know of one owned by a poster on this board and have seen a few others. Pat's price range is good in my oppinion. These are all valuable, but condition is a significant factor.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've seen the Excelsior ribbon many times over the years, nowhere on it does it say "Brooklyn" and there were many teams that used that name; and the Brooklyn team was only famous for a few years in the early 1860's. That ribbon looks far more recent than that, and in my opinion overpriced in the $1000-1500 range. It just has too many question marks regarding exactly what it is and when it was made.

Just one of those overpriced pieces of memorabilia, IMO.