NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2002, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Default All-Star Side Show

Posted By: petecld 

Did anyone else waste their evening watching the All-Star Side Show?

I didn't even know calling a tie was a possibility. I guess they figured since they stopped selling beer in the 7th and couldn't start up again that there was no reason to continue something as silly as the game.

Run out of pitchers? Hey, maybe if they didn't have 5 (bleeping) shortstops they could have had a few more on the team!!!!!!

Only during the reign of a spineless commissioner like Selig, and in his daughter's stadium no less, which has a lousy team by the way, could this happen.

Also, they made a big deal of re-naming the All-Star MVP award for Ted Williams but I don't recall them picking one? Did I miss something?

Never thought I'd say this but - GO, GO Minnesota and Montreal!!!!!

Old 07-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I watched ESPN and heard all the announcers talking about Selig's "right" decision. They all tread so lightly and carefully to not offend King Bud and his minions. I did hear one announcer last night say Selig COULD have voided the Yanks' Mondesi deal but Selig wanted it for ammunition for his contraction and revenue sharing campaigns. Bull hockey. Selig has sold his soul to Steinbrenner and wouldn't dare offend Sir George. Selig knows that he needs Steinbrenner's vote of confidence from the owners.
Selig is a toady and a stooge.
Some day another Bart Giamatti will come along who actually loves the game. Until then MLB will continue to lose popularity. Attendance is down over 5% this year, everywhere but in Minnesota.
Contract this, Selig...

Old 07-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

think back on what a kick it was to watch the games. The managers used to occasionally get grief for not using all their pitchers and saving a position player, but they defended themselves as needing to do that in case the game went to extra innings. I can't remember a player ever bowing out of the game for any reason. As a kid I almost always kept score of the All-Star game - can't imagine today's kids even considering it a real game. And Zelig? - what a sad commentary on baseball. I love the photo of him throwing his hands up in the air while making the decision last night.

Old 07-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I personally think Selig made the right call (just did it the wrong way and wrong time). When your out of pitchers....... your out of pitchers.......game over! I actually saw it comming when it was tied in the 9th, I knew both teams were down to there last pitcher, and theres no way any All Star Pitcher will/should ever go more than 3 innings (some of them only had a couple days rest if that). The only problem is there now should be a rule made that an All Star Game cant go more than say 11 or 12 Innings, otherwise its a tie. Thats sounds good, the game is all for show anyways, and in no way should a great pitcher ever blow an arm in a meaningless game. The game is not worth someone getting injured (Pete Rose ruining Ray Fosse's career is another story). And for some of the inexperienced fans that said "They should let them bring in another pitcher that already pitched" Ya right, thats the easiest way to ruin a pitcher and blow an arm by heating him back up after cooling down. (pitchers arms are the most injury prone body part in all of sports, and the most $$ too!!) Frank

Old 07-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I don't know enough about All Star rules; I know Martinez and Johnson declined to pitch (at least I tHINK Johnson did!). Were their places filled by others?

Old 07-11-2002, 05:52 PM
Administrator

I agree that if the mgrs insist on using all players within 9 innings, and they refuse to use a pitcher more than 3, then you have to have a plan for extra innings...they didn't. Am I wrong about this?

The plan could be something simple like a gimmicky short HR derby after the 11th...or penalty kicks!

--------------------------------------------
historically significant fact
Ed Reulbach once threw both ends of a double-header, winning both with shutouts, and pitching the entire games

Old 07-11-2002, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

i totally disagree with the call (and some of the lame soccer-like penalty kick solutions that have been suggested). Baseball goes out of their way to state that theirs is the only all star game that is "real" and meaningful - basketball has zero defense and therefore scores in the 140s, football is an afterthought, a reason for those espn announcers to wear those horrid shirts for a week, and hockey has no hitting because you might be playing against your own teammates... but baseball is the same; yah curt schilling would never tell arod what pitches he would throw in a meaningful game and b.bones wouldn't congratulate torii for that amazing catch, but it is still a real game. I do not fault the coaches for worrying about the pitchers; but ending in a tie should never have become an option... the argument that they had no choice is unsound. There were 8 other people on the field who were still eligible to pitch. That is how a real game would be played. I have seen Jose Canseco pitch; I guarantee someone on that field could do better. (and the game wouldn't have gone another inning!)

i dunno maybe i am just the bitterman because of all the steroids and strike talk... maybe its because i collect old cards of players who wouldn't have dared leave that field until a winner was decided. but everytime anything newsworthy happens with baseball anymore, i feel a bit more cheated by what i consider my favorite sport.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. The "game" goes on. I know it sounds crazy, and this is not sandlot ball, but I would say they get ANYBODY out there and pitch. I know this sounds stupid at first but what is the game really supposed to be about? Having good wholesome fun. A baseball game does not end in a tie. Period. OK, these guys make millions of dollars. Why? Because they make even more money for their owners. Why? Because people enjoy the game. Why? Because it's supposed to be fun and an athletic event and competition and all of that. But piss off the public and what have you got? No money. I think this pissed off the common folk that enjoy the game. Being somewhat of a ball player (and about to head to my game tonight) I am as, or more competitive, than most. I say they get someone with a strong arm out there and pitch the d*** game. I know most on the board will disagree but I don't care....crap I ruined my arm in pony league by throwing 80% curves. AM I mad about it ?.......well, yeah.....just another view here (and I didn't even watch the game because it's like this nowadays)..overpaid spoiled brats with a crappy commissioner..........best regards

Old 07-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Administrator

the first time I remember being embarassed to watch it was when John Kruk was lamely swinging at Randy Johnson's fastballs - it was obvious that Kruk was goofing off, something I'd never seen done so blatantly in an AS game.

Also, I think the game should be played to it's finish as well, but hey, I'm trying to be a little bit agreeable every now and then...thus the penalty kick solution. Tom - I was dead serious about that (angry huff).

Disclaimer
I apologize for any poor grammer, repetitions, or dangling participles that you may locate in the above post...it ain't about grammar nohows.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ty_cobb

Local radio guy said last time this happened the game
went 15 innings, Catfish Hunter pitched 5 innings before Tony Perez hit a homer to end the game. Freddie
usually pitches 7 innings, in my judgement the game could have continued past the 11th. That being said,
I don't object to a tie game after a set point of extra
innings ball being played. What I do object to is no
MVP award after all the hoopla of the 'Ted Williams
award'. I thought it would have been a nice touch to
have co-winners like last years World Series MVP.
It was poorly done and not thought through very well.

I'm curious how the Vegas bookies handled this, did
they keep everyone's money??? The sports bettors must
be fuming right now...

Old 07-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Administrator

He injured himself as a direct result and the Rangers lost him for most of the season.

Disclaimer
I apologize for any poor grammer, repetitions, or dangling participles that you may locate in the above post...it ain't about grammar nohows.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

To all those who side with the player's view on this all I ask is that you remember two things:

1. The All-Star game is no secret. Even Little leaguers know that if they make the majors and do well, you may be forced to recognize the fan's admiration and do something as degrading as playing one extra game of Baseball against your peers. Such a punishment.

2. The player's poor attitude towards this game is reprehensible in the extreme in light of the simple fat that I would say MOST have clauses in their contracts paying them BONUS money for making the All-Star Team. It's not like they are playing this game for free and out of the goodness of their hearts. To do so, one must have heart. Most played that game like they lacked one.

What bonus did A. Rod get for striking out? $100K. He**, I'd strike out for $10K - and I love the game.

Old 07-12-2002, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I sent a link to this thread to the "Press" guy, whatever he does.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/mlb_official_info.jsp

Old 07-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: W.M.

It made me angry to see Selig and his pitch count puppets (Torre and Brenly) ruin what could have been a fantastic game.