NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2002, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Default vg/ex S.F,. Hess Ewing

Posted By: David

Good thing you didn't say Oriental or we'd probably have another mêlée on out hands. Elliot said that he nearly called the mounted police for the last one.

Old 07-11-2002, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott (runscott)

As a Genero-American of partial Mêléesian decent I find this quite offensive.

Old 07-11-2002, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

......Melian or Melillan descent? Anyway, you all look the same to me!

Old 07-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Great picture, great contrast, off center, very rounded cornersm, tiny ink spots on the front. I feel funny having a card that cost almost as much as the rest of my 19th century collection all by itself, but the card is only vg/ex. Mark M. says there're only about ten S.F. Hess Ewings in the world, and I shouldn't worry (but he'd like to look at the card).

Wonderful photo--laughing a little, with his Asian-grandaddy eyes...

Old 07-11-2002, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Just to set the record straight, the sect was founded by Sam Mele and all members must carry his 1964 Topps card in his wallet.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Actually, to be honest I was originally going to write bru ha, but didn't know how to spell that either.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

also, yes - we DO all look alike. The true card-carrying members have craftily substituted Sam Mele's baseball card image on our driver's licenses.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:51 PM
Administrator

If I liked, he would delete that stuff about Asian eyes, and I said BY ALL MEANS, until the day when we are all the same color, shape, size and configuration, I sghould keep my trap shut.

He also asked that I post my S.F. Hess. which I can't, but will describe:

photo is in perefct register, and very nice contrast, and is especially nice because he seems to be laughing a little--how do you do that if you have to keep yuour face perfectly still? card has no creases.
Problems which apply to almost all S.F. Hesses: The "New York" on his shirt front is missing the "N" and most of the "K" (Lew lipset has a large photo, just like it, in his "Police Gazette' section, with the same missing letters--except his Ewing is full of spickle=speckles). The dark brown arc over his head is cenetred to the left; in fact, there is no visable "frame" on the left border. But somehow, Ewing is right in the center of both the arc and card. (Don't ask me how they did it.) Appaerently, the photo in the arc, in a squarish rectangle, was laid down on top of the long S.F. Hess card, because "Buck Ewing" appears in faint letters inside the squarish rectangle, and then again in brown letters below the squarish rectangle (just like the "Johnny Ward" card which Lemke used for his 2002 guide (which is perfect, and cost owner 21K)

There are three tiny ink spots, originally black, but conveniently faded to brown-black. The biggest, by the left of his neck, in the arc, is about 1/16 inch; two over his head, in the arc, are even smaller. The corners are well-rounded. I think when I began collecting, we still called corners like that "ex," but I know now they are "vg=ex."

Bob is tertribly disapointed ("it's not even in color"); when I asked mark Macrae, "suppose i wanted to consign the card to Mastro, wouldn't he say it wasn't up to snuff?" Mark said, that's something you never have to worry about with an S.F. Hess Ewing--unless it's a rag, which you card isn't by any means.

Oh yes, it cost 7.5K; I said yedsterday I felt funny buying a vg-ex card for the vaule of the entire rest of my 19th century collection. Decided to add. A couple I couldn't remember, but with those i could it's actually a little less than 1/6th of what I paid for my 19th century stuff.
Whoops! forgot my chess cards. More like 1/7th.

I guess I have to keep saying: this card was paid for with a credit card United Airlines sent me (Lord knows why). I still haven't gotten my big bucks.(People are suddenly offering me lots of things which I can't afford).

Old 07-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Administrator

...or most of the others that people get bent out of shape over. But, being a middle-aged male WASP, I am considered "insensitive" by default. <===Smiley not meant to be poking fun at yellow people with bald round head

Old 07-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Administrator

10, or even fewer, S.F. Hess Ewings in existance.

Old 07-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I represent that Scott....If I ever get Hepatitis B or C I will be a bald headed yellow guy kind of like that but with glasses......regards again

Old 07-11-2002, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Sort of like this.....