NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default Hello...and some questions

Posted By: Thomas

Hi,

I recently stumbled across this message board and thought I would say hi. Been trying to find a place to chat about vintage cards for some time now.
I was wondering if anyone can give me any info regarding the T207 set? Reference material(books, websites etc), recommended dealers and ones to stay away from. I picked up a couple recently and am intrigued by the set, figure I may make a attempt at completeting it(in about 20 or so years).
Also can anyone give me any info about the VCBC? I recently picked up a sample issue. The subscription rate is kind of steep so I was wondering what other collectors opinions were about it.
Finally, other than the Standard Catalog and various price guides, are there any good reference books on vintage cards? I really want to start collecting some tobacco cards(besides just the T207), but not knowing too much I would like to get some books to read first.

Thank you,
Thomas

Old 01-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Plastic Dog

Hi. Don Betz purchased VCBC last year from Dennis Purdy. It is still your best bet for a publication. Don can provide all of the back issues at a good price if you call him directly. I just checked his web-site, which is http://www.vcbc.net/, and this was on there:

"SPECIAL SUBSCRIPTION OFFER - 12 issues for $49.00. Call us at 800-417-7670 or email us at jaysport@erols.com with credit card info and we'll have VCBC on its way to you the same day! Back Issues: We'll have a list up soon on which back issues are still available."

My understanding is all of the back issues are available except #7, which covered grading companies. (I picked up my copy of #7 at a Ft. Washington show last year.) Anyway, I'm not sure what price you saw, but that seems pretty reasonable for a subscription to a niche magazine. As for books, the best place to start is probably the 3-volume "Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards" by Lew Lipset. VCBC owns the publishing rights, which has been consolidated into a single volume; you can order that from the number above as well. It is an indispensable source which most readers on this board keep as a reference. It was written in 1983, but is still the single best source for E, T, and N- cards. It was the original information that was used by the annual Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards (Krause publications, available at Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.), which provides a listing of almost every baseball card ever made with a brief description. This is obviously better for prices than Lipset's book (though just as a rough guide as most really tough cards go for much more than appears in the Catalog), but the Standard Catalog doesn't provide anywhere near the depth of information on vintage sets that Lipset's book does. That said, most collectors also have the Standard Catalog as it lists many sets not found in Lipset's Encyclopedia (bakery issues, obscure regional and minor league issues, etc.)

Lipset provided further information in a hobby newsletter called the Old Judge, but he stopped publishing those years ago. VCBC kind of picked up where the Old Judge left off, and many of the articles that appear in back issues of VCBC are the best information that you are going to find on particular card sets (like Mayos, M116 Sporting Life, Presidential Old Judges, etc.) Some of the articles in the magazine have been written by Lipset, Barry Sloate, Mark Macrae and others with quite a bit of knowledge.

That's my two cents.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 01-17-2002, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim N

Tom, or anyone else,

do you know which issue of VCBC contains the article on M116 Sporting Life?

Thanks--

Old 01-17-2002, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Issue #6 (May/June 96), page 20. Author: Lew Lipset. The article is truly a "must have" for anyone who collects the set. I stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago, and felt like an idiot for not reading it sooner.

Tom

Old 01-18-2002, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback on VCBC and the info regarding the Lipset book. I'll certainly give them both some serious thought. I just got back from the NYC international coin show..my other addiction..err I mean hobby. So my card money is a little short at the moment. But the magazine and the book seem like valuable resources to get before I even try and track down anymore T207's.

Thanks again,
Thomas

Old 01-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Administrator

that's just one or two less T207s you can buy. Personally, I just go without lunch (rather, make my kids go without lunch, my wife go without a car, and my parents go without a roof; I wish everybody would stop bitching - can't they see I have more Old Judges to buy ...)

Old 01-18-2002, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john

i think that way before i buy anything....do i really need this more than a card to complete my t206 set?,and the closer i get to finishing the set the harder it is to buy anything else unless its a card from some other vintage set....of course,im not as bad as runscott,i do have a microwave

Old 01-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hmmm passing up on food...I wonder how long I can do that. Moderation is the key. I'd give up the car but I am finally within sight of paying the thing off...but that doesn't mean I have to put gas in it! Yeah that's it!!! Ok now that you convinced me to starve myself...who has some T207's and Delongs that are in need of a good home??? 8-)

Thomas

Old 01-19-2002, 11:40 AM
Administrator

and their loved ones can stand to lose a pound or two. That's my justification for not feeding anyone in the house for several days at a time. Hey, if they were really hungry, they would go after the cats, right?

Old 01-19-2002, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I found it at the dumpster and took it home. It doesn't work, but it's very big - I think I can salvage the big round clear disk inside it.

Old 01-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

you could always use your car heater if the microwave doesnt work....did you check the microwave for any honus wagner cards somebody might have left in there from their childhood?

Old 01-20-2002, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRIAN C DANIELS

I laid off the "e" cards.........now your threading on my N-172's! I will outbid you on any PSA-6's or 7's I need!!! I will help you save money for your childrens college funds! 529 accounts!