NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-09-2017, 08:35 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default All I Needed To Know

"For some time now, I have been producing custom baseball cards that transport the collector back in time with fresh colors, textures, styles and the magic of collecting. I have sold a few cards to various collectors over the years, but decided it was time to combine my passion for Americana, Sport and vintage collectibles. The cards, themselves are mounted to substrates as old as 100 years!!! This means that the cardboard stock is actually vintage!!

The inks are archival, however, and brand stinking new. We don't want them to fade, etc."

These could be the first knock off cards that combine the desirable qualities of vintage card stock with new stinking ink.

I don't want to "out" the seller, but if you haven't seen where this description comes from, here is a link to his version of T206 (and there are others)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banty-Red-T2...gAAOSwal5YM7WE

Who knew Walsh had 6 saves in 1908. I'm sure he didn't.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Not for me, but I think they are pretty cool looking nonetheless.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

$150 for this? I don't get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banty-Red-Ma...p2047675.l2557

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

Old printing presses can be found, and if you find old ink, and have old paper, what is preventing you from making some serious fake cards that are not distinguishable from originals?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The buyer better be happy as the seller offers no returns or refunds.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipAbbott79 View Post
Old printing presses can be found, and if you find old ink, and have old paper, what is preventing you from making some serious fake cards that are not distinguishable from originals?
Absolutely nothing, I know a guy that did it about 27 years ago.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I have the same problem with these as I do with all these fantasy card producers.

No matter what they say, not putting a production date and artificially aging is made to deceive. Sadly there are many modern card shops that sell 99% shiny stuff and Pokemon cards that are the status quo. These shop owners know nothing of vintage and many couldn't tell one of these from a T-206. It's sad but true.

As long as they have a production date, I have no issue at all and you are free to call it an "art card" or whatever the heck you want.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

FYI..these have been talked about on the CU boards. https://forums.collectors.com/discus...stmas-auctions
The guy named: OldSchoolImages seems to be the dude making these or selling these new product called Banty Red, basically like those Helmar cards

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 01-09-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

strange the use a fantasy "tobacco and ale" Company to promote the fantasy cards. Borderline deceptive in my opinion

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

More of these 'Broders' popping up every day, and not just in baseball. I am of mixed views on it; if the cards are well made and clearly labeled and sold as such there is no harm but if not there is the potential for duping gullible or ignorant people.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Simply adding a copyright date would eliminate any chance of deception and not really detract from the reprint itself I mean fantasy card.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM
David M.

In the case of Ted Williams, don't his heirs own rights to using his image? If so, then this would appear to be a copyright violation. Not to mention using the logos of the MLB teams without permission could get you into some hot water.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Desseminate This

"This copyrighted telecast is presented by authority of the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball. It may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form, and the accounts and descriptions of this game may not be disseminated, without express written consent."

If you cannot talk about a baseball game without express written consent, we are all in jeopardy. However getting express written consent is not that easy as the fan below found out when he wanted to talk to his friend Tyler, who was unable to watch the telecast of a game with him.

Shoeless Joe Jackson. Pete Rose. Barry Bonds. Now I add my name to the end of this list, for we all have been shunned by Major League Baseball.

After watching the Diamondbacks-Astros game Aug. 23, I decided I’d like to describe the game to my friend Tyler, who was too busy to watch it. But mindful of the oft-repeated disclaimer, “Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this game, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, is prohibited,” I wanted to square my plans with league offices first. I thought my chances were decent. After all, it’s been done before.

The next morning I shot off an e-mail to MLB with my request and heard back within hours from Valerie Vieira, from the business development department in MLB Advanced Media. She asked me to call her.

I explained my situation to her and asked how to go about getting express written consent. She wanted to know if I was going to blog about the game or do a podcast, and I said no, I just wanted to describe the game to someone while sitting on my living room couch.

“How could anyone stop you from talking about the game in your own living room?” she said, taking my request as a joke.

I reassured her that it wasn’t. While I doubted the MLB spies would be able to get to me, the disclaimer made it very clear that I’m not allowed to give my account of the game, so I wanted express written consent that gave me permission to talk about the game, and I would post a blog about how I went about attaining the consent. She said someone else from MLB would be calling me.

I waited 9 days, holding my tongue about the forbidden Diamondbacks-Astros game, patiently hoping MLB would give me the thumbs-up. I called and e-mailed Valerie several times to remind her I was waiting, but neither she nor anyone else has gotten back to me.

I take this to mean I am not allowed to describe the game to Tyler. Which is just as well, because I’ve forgotten all about the particulars now. Well played, Major League Baseball. This is one treasured, legally protected account you were able to keep under wraps.

Thankfully, MLB did not require me to get “express written consent” to describe my attempts at getting “express written consent,” so here we are.

Postscript: I also asked the NBA and NFL for express written consent to describe game 2 of the 2009 NBA Finals and the Aug. 22 Cardinals-Chargers preseason game, respectively, but was ignored. At least MLB was courteous enough to reply.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Mike

Quote:
I would have paid if Ted had a better fitting hat........
Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
"This copyrighted telecast is presented by authority of the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball. It may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form, and the accounts and descriptions of this game may not be disseminated, without express written consent."

If you cannot talk about a baseball game without express written consent, we are all in jeopardy. However getting express written consent is not that easy as the fan below found out when he wanted to talk to his friend Tyler, who was unable to watch the telecast of a game with him.

Shoeless Joe Jackson. Pete Rose. Barry Bonds. Now I add my name to the end of this list, for we all have been shunned by Major League Baseball.

After watching the Diamondbacks-Astros game Aug. 23, I decided I’d like to describe the game to my friend Tyler, who was too busy to watch it. But mindful of the oft-repeated disclaimer, “Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this game, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, is prohibited,” I wanted to square my plans with league offices first. I thought my chances were decent. After all, it’s been done before.

The next morning I shot off an e-mail to MLB with my request and heard back within hours from Valerie Vieira, from the business development department in MLB Advanced Media. She asked me to call her.

I explained my situation to her and asked how to go about getting express written consent. She wanted to know if I was going to blog about the game or do a podcast, and I said no, I just wanted to describe the game to someone while sitting on my living room couch.

“How could anyone stop you from talking about the game in your own living room?” she said, taking my request as a joke.

I reassured her that it wasn’t. While I doubted the MLB spies would be able to get to me, the disclaimer made it very clear that I’m not allowed to give my account of the game, so I wanted express written consent that gave me permission to talk about the game, and I would post a blog about how I went about attaining the consent. She said someone else from MLB would be calling me.

I waited 9 days, holding my tongue about the forbidden Diamondbacks-Astros game, patiently hoping MLB would give me the thumbs-up. I called and e-mailed Valerie several times to remind her I was waiting, but neither she nor anyone else has gotten back to me.

I take this to mean I am not allowed to describe the game to Tyler. Which is just as well, because I’ve forgotten all about the particulars now. Well played, Major League Baseball. This is one treasured, legally protected account you were able to keep under wraps.

Thankfully, MLB did not require me to get “express written consent” to describe my attempts at getting “express written consent,” so here we are.

Postscript: I also asked the NBA and NFL for express written consent to describe game 2 of the 2009 NBA Finals and the Aug. 22 Cardinals-Chargers preseason game, respectively, but was ignored. At least MLB was courteous enough to reply.
Two expansion teams, neither recognized by Pre-War baseball purists, only add another layer to the proverbial onion.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Dave Foster

Quote:
$150 for this? I don't get it.
Simple: People with more money than brains.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM

I'll say two things. He sure has good taste in selecting a beautiful portrait of Big Ed.

I strongly agree with Peter about the matter that if the fantasy card clearly has a notation on the backside of the year of its issuance, that's a good thing.

You can only do so much to keep the naivety, and stupidity, in check from the guy thinking only that he's found a previously unknown rarity of a big-name player worth a brand new car or home.