NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Don

Default Proper Etiquette After Purchasing "Altered" Card

I am not sure how to handle this situation.

I bought a W517 Eddie Collins card raw at a Chantilly card show a few months ago. I thought I scored a pretty good deal on a beat-up example of this card.

I was always expecting a 1, but it came back Authentic: Color Added.

How would you handle this situation? I am going to see the dealer again. I don't want my money back, and I definitely do not want a return. Do I politely tell them about this? I am not accusing them of altering this card, I mean, look at its other glaring issues lol. Is that the proper way to handle this? I do not want them to think I am accusing them (I have no reason to believe they did this).

Thoughts?
Old 01-06-2023, 12:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The card is an obvious wreck and you got to look it over in person before you bought it. I don't think you have any reason to bring it up. Your assumption it would grade a certain way is a "you" problem, as my kid would say.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-06-2023, 12:47 PM
Dave

I've seen "Authentics" that are nicer then "1's" and "1's" that are nicer then "Authentics".

Once you are down to that grading level it's all in the eye of the beholder. Only way I'd be concerned or bring it up with the original dealer is if the card came back as "Not Authentic".

I assumed you got it graded because you wanted to enhance it's look in the holder a little bit, and make sure it was authentic...and that's pretty much what you got.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:50 PM
Don

Good points. I don't feel duped. I saw a HOF pre-war card at a fair price, I purchased, and knew it was a beater.

I'll move on.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Depends

Depends on how well you know the dealer and your relationship. He may have other cards in this same group and would appreciate the input if not done in a negative way. Most guys would probably offer to buy it back but youd still be out the grading fees. And dont forget that just because a grading company says something doesnt make it the last word. Another company might have a different opinion. Either way, its a decent card in rough shape and if you paid "1" money for it you got what you paid for. I always let dealers know if something came up with a card I bought that was unexpected and maybe because I handle it in a diplomatic way and not expecting anything I have almost always had no problems. Most of the time I end up keeping the card anyhow because I liked it and thats why I bought it.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

I' not really seeing any color added. Other issues yes, but color added?

I wonder if the other stuff added up to an A, but they didn't have a code for "lots of scuffs and paper loss"
Old 01-06-2023, 01:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you don't want a return or refund, what would be your purpose in telling the guy?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:23 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default why

The purpose would be that if the dealer had a group of similar cards purchased at the same time he could look and see if others might have color added or were altered in some way. If I were a dealer I would want to know so I could sell with the best information to buyers ..... not just letting "the buyer beware".... also it may be educational for him ( if it actually does have color added) assuming he was not being deceptive in the first place. Finally, the dealer may know where he got the card (or cards) in the first place and then may consider that information in future purchases from that source. I think bringing the card in the holder and showing it to him rather than just telling him would be the right way. OR>>>>>> he might just tell you to shove it and then you would know more about that dealer for the future as well!!!

Last edited by NiceDocter; 01-06-2023 at 01:26 PM. Reason: .
Old 01-06-2023, 01:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
The purpose would be that if the dealer had a group of similar cards purchased at the same time he could look and see if others might have color added or were altered in some way. If I were a dealer I would want to know so I could sell with the best information to buyers ..... not just letting "the buyer beware".... also it may be educational for him ( if it actually does have color added) assuming he was not being deceptive in the first place. Finally, the dealer may know where he got the card (or cards) in the first place and then may consider that information in future purchases from that source.
Agreed, but I am wondering what the OP's purpose would be and why he brought this up, he only told us what his purpose would NOT be.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:32 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Unless you want a refund...there is nothing further to do.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:13 PM

agree with others let it go
Old 01-06-2023, 02:45 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The card is an obvious wreck and you got to look it over in person before you bought it. I don't think you have any reason to bring it up.
This was my first thought as well. It's still the same card you were happy to buy at the show so I don't think an authenticators opinion matters here.
Just my two cents.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I don't think an authenticators opinion matters here.
or anywhere else unless you are trying to sell it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-06-2023, 03:03 PM

Chances are good that the seller is a member of Net54.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:24 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
This was my first thought as well. It's still the same card you were happy to buy at the show so I don't think an authenticators opinion matters here.
Just my two cents.
+1 Agree

and sadly you cannot control how they grade it.
Nice card enjoy it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-06-2023, 05:57 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If you do not feel duped, you scored a good deal on it, you do not want a refund, you do not want to return it, and you don't want the dealer to take it the wrong way... what is there to talk about? What reason is there to discuss it at all?
Old 01-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

People get way too wound up over supposed alterations, especially for low grade cards like this. What's the difference? It's not like you thought you were buying a NM+ card that was "improved" to get it to appear nicer than it was by recoloring. I don't see any obvious signs of recoloring on this card. I wouldn't be surprised if they're wrong. This is the type of card that I would just keep raw anyhow.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Aren't beaten up cards like this kind of "altered" anyway? I guess it depends on how you formally define "altered"...

Even if not intentional (like trimming, bleaching, recoloring) any card with an honest crease, wrinkle, scraped surface or dinged corner is sort of altered in its own way. I mean, the card is no longer in its original state. The unthinkable things that kids did to these cards back in the day (like flipping or putting them in bicycle spokes) just produced a different form of alteration.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-06-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:34 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
People get way too wound up over supposed alterations, especially for low grade cards like this. What's the difference? It's not like you thought you were buying a NM+ card that was "improved" to get it to appear nicer than it was by recoloring. I don't see any obvious signs of recoloring on this card. I wouldn't be surprised if they're wrong. This is the type of card that I would just keep raw anyhow.
+1 especially the last sentence. And I would be pleased to have it.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-07-2023, 05:59 AM
Albert Bee

Default altered

Yes,
agree with last two posts

Its a beat up old card..whats the difference
Old 01-07-2023, 06:37 AM
Robert Williams

Agree with the others. I don't see the recoloring. I see some vintage staining that is brown. Maybe they are calling THAT recoloring?? No one recolored that card. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if SGC got it wrong. The members here on Net54 know more about the cards than these guys doing the grading, I can promise you that.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:59 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Nothing new to add to the question posed…

But I have to say that I think this is a great looking card! Sure, a little water and tear but it’s a great image of a great HOFer.

Nice pick up - and enjoy the bargain price you hopefully got. (And going way off on a tangent, am I the only one who just can’t see the similarities of the Collins image in his T206 potrait to almost every other card he’s on? Great player, not exactly the most dashing looking guy!)
Old 01-07-2023, 03:59 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
...The members here on Net54 know more about the cards than these guys doing the grading...
Truer words were never spoken.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-07-2023, 05:12 PM
Bob Donaldson

I agree with the consensus that its a nice card and I could care less about an "A" vs. a 1, but what is the white blotch on his hat? It looks like white paint or white out (is not white a color?) Or is that paper loss. I cannot tell from the picture.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:44 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I agree with the consensus that its a nice card and I could care less about an "A" vs. a 1, but what is the white blotch on his hat? It looks like white paint or white out (is not white a color?) Or is that paper loss. I cannot tell from the picture.
It's paper loss
Old 01-08-2023, 09:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
If you do not feel duped, you scored a good deal on it, you do not want a refund, you do not want to return it, and you don't want the dealer to take it the wrong way... what is there to talk about? What reason is there to discuss it at all?
Because this is a chat board?
Old 01-09-2023, 08:36 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Because this is a chat board?
Bwhahahahahhahahahaha!!! Leon for the win.