NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Default E94 Oh You Fan update- fake

Posted By: leon

As we expected SGC was not comfortable with this card. As a matter of fact they deemed the overprint to be a counterfeit. After it was sent back to the original seller I made a deal for it and now own it. I am not sure how much info I want to put out here but suffice it to say this overprint is not original. As for the timing of the post on our BST, earlier today, I think Jim wanted folks to know it was sold. Timing was a little off on that post but the bottom line is it's out of circulation for good. I told another board member that SGC was only "not comfortable" with it, earlier today, and then later today when I spoke with someone at SGC they said they want it known they didn't feel it was good. They didn't equivocate... best regards

[linked image]

Old 01-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

what was it that they didn't like? Need more info.....dot pattern on the back of this stamp versus a 'real' one or just the font or what? If it's just the font, I'd find that odd since all the 8 you have (or is it 10?) seem to have various fonts anyway.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I will give you a call tomorrow. Or you have my number, call me anytime. I am not sure I want to put the info out here and make it that much easier for a counterfeiter. I think you will understand after we speak....take care

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

That is very interesting, Leon. This is the same E94 Moore "OH YOU FAN!" card that was originally encapsulated by SGC and assigned the grade of SGC 40?

When SGC graded it the first time, did SGC think it was real at that time? If so, the stamp overprint must have been so good that it was able to fool the experts.

There were seven other E94 "overprint" cards found with this "OH YOU FAN!" overprint. Do we know what happened to those?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:10 AM
Administrator

This is the same card that was originally encapsulated by SGC. I assume they thought the overprint was good at first sight. I guess "expert" is a relative question. I don't think anyone, or any company, in the world knows every single nuance of every single esoteric card and minute difference. (I know we expect them to but they don't) At least it didn't get by them on review and they did the right thing. That is more than I can say for some companies. I have no idea about the other overprints. If I remember correctly the seller had said he had 7 more overprints or 7 more cards. I think he said overprints but am not sure. Regardless, the 2 he had (E98 and E94) were bogus and my guess is where there is one there is more. That is also why I am reluctant to reveal anymore info concerning the reasoning behind the final decision of this one being fake. Again, I am positive it is fake.....take care

Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

The seller (not Jim M.) says in his email to me last month, he has 7 more to sell and asked me if i were interested. I said yes, and please send scans. He never sent them....

Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

it's good to know what happened to this card...Leon...any plans to shoot it up into space in a rocket and blow it up?

pete

Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The Earl Moore card is otherwise a great looking card. What a shame if someone took seven nice condition E94s and marked them with fake stamps.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I might be able to remove that stamp for you Leon if you like. Dan.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Administrator

If you tell me what you put it on there with maybe I can do it myself? happy.gif

I agree, this was sure a nice card before the MK.....

Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sean BH

I'm thinking PSA might grade it? happy.gif