NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Default MLB Auctions

Do any of you bid on these items? When I bid on an MLB Auction it is usually with the idea that I want the item for my personal collection and will not sell it for a while. I say this because I learned (finally) that modern game-used requires a different skill-set for selling and collecting than does vintage. Also, Seattle (and sometimes other teams) starts their auctions too high, so if you 'have' to have something, selling is generally at a loss.

I'm also not crazy about the MLB Auction format. Several times I've wanted ONE game-used item from a particular game, but had to bid on several to make sure I got one because all the auctions ended at the same time. For example, I wanted bunting from the 2017 Astros World Series games, so I put a last-second bid in on two just to make sure I could 'play' in the extended auction. No one else bid on either, so I got stuck with two. Ended up good, as two end-to-end fits my man-cave wall perfectly.

I guess it's similar to other auctions, but MLB frequently has starting bids that are right at the going value, or a touch above, so if you want to play, you are taking a chance. Sometimes it works out well, as other bidders might not want to take a chance at buying multiple examples, so they only bid on one. The problem with that strategy is that guys like me who get outbid on several examples, end up having to go way high on the last available item.

Just a few thoughts after successfully procuring a Felix Hernandez 'last game' ball pretty cheap and watching others battle it out for remaining examples.

Steve - it's a keeper. Feel free to make me stay honest
Old 10-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

One more thought: I was at Felix' last game and wanted a ball pretty bad. Normally they bring the balls up midway through six, but I showed up early. They gave me a number (10). Ended up being 10 out of 42. I stood in line for a long time only to find that all the balls had been sold by the 4th or 5th guy in line. Turns out MLB only authenticated 13 Felix pitches and they saved at least 4 for their MLB Auction. I was a little pissed since I was actually at the game and didn't get a fair shot at one. Does the Seattle team really need the extra money they might get from the auction (which they didn't get)?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:42 PM
R.J. Hinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
...When I bid on an MLB Auction it is usually with the idea that I want the item for my personal collection and will not sell it for a while....

I'm also not crazy about the MLB Auction format. Several times I've wanted ONE game-used item from a particular game, but had to bid on several to make sure I got one because all the auctions ended at the same time... so I put a last-second bid in on two just to make sure I could 'play' in the extended auction. No one else bid on either, so I got stuck with two...

I guess it's similar to other auctions, but MLB frequently has starting bids that are right at the going value, or a touch above, so if you want to play, you are taking a chance. Sometimes it works out well, as other bidders might not want to take a chance at buying multiple examples, so they only bid on one. The problem with that strategy is that guys like me who get outbid on several examples, end up having to go way high on the last available item....
Yes across the board, Scott.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:07 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I bid regularly in MLB auctions and I have found that I have to be careful to not overpay/overbid . I don't plan on selling the items I just don't want to pay too much for these pieces of modern game used items ( even GU jerseys ). I am less likely to go "all in " in their auctions than I am in an AH auction - I have a price/bid ceiling on MLB auctions because these are modern items., and because their MB can be way more than the items could be worth.
I have an acquaintance with an MLB team and he told me awhile back that MLB will select only a certain number of items from each game in each category to sell on the auction site and the team can select others to sell also . One interesting thing that I have done successfully several times is to contact the team's Authentics Store directly at the stadium and tell them what I want and more times than not I'll get a call sometime later ( it may be days or months ) about the item , and most times it is offered to me at 10%- 20% lower than the MLB auction MB, or they'll ask me to make an offer on it or what i want to pay for it.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

Steve - it's a keeper. Feel free to make me stay honest
I don't actually spend any time keeping track of that stuff.

There are a few people I figure generally don't sell stuff from the collection all that often.

Glad you got the ball without having to bid crazy for it.
I haven't been to a game since they started that stuff, or maybe the Red Sox don't do it? It would be cool to have a chance at getting a ball from the game while still at the game.

How times have changed. One guy I knew got some park pieces from the sox. He was at the park for something else, And saw some "stuff" in the alley behind the bleachers. He asked what it was and whoever was there said it was "stuff" they'd replaced because it wore out or was changed. Like wall padding, a couple signs and a few other bits. When he asked if he could have something they just told him to take whatever he liked since they'd have to pay for a dumpster. Not being foolish he loaded his truck...
Old 10-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
....One interesting thing that I have done successfully several times is to contact the team's Authentics Store directly at the stadium and tell them what I want and more times than not I'll get a call sometime later ( it may be days or months ) about the item , and most times it is offered to me at 10%- 20% lower than the MLB auction MB, or they'll ask me to make an offer on it or what i want to pay for it.
When Paxton threw his no-hitter in Toronto they put one or two balls on the MLB auction site and I had an internet problem and missed bidding. I emailed MLB auctions about getting a ball and they put me in touch with Toronto's auction guy, who gave me a whole list of stuff. He gave me prices on the items I asked about and I never saw any of them auctioned. Seattle puts theirs in charity auctions, etc, but I guess they would probably sell me stuff if I asked. Apparently each team can do whatever they want.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:12 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Quote:
When Paxton threw his no-hitter in Toronto they put one or two balls on the MLB auction site and I had an internet problem and missed bidding. I emailed MLB auctions about getting a ball and they put me in touch with Toronto's auction guy, who gave me a whole list of stuff. He gave me prices on the items I asked about and I never saw any of them auctioned. Seattle puts theirs in charity auctions, etc, but I guess they would probably sell me stuff if I asked. Apparently each team can do whatever they want.
Yes team's can do whatever they want once MLB gets their stuff .