NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-06-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Grading advice

Hi all, just seeking a little advice regarding a situation I haven't encountered before.

I bought a couple of raw 1915 CJs at the Chantilly, VA show back in June and submitted to PSA on site. The grades just popped, and one card received a 3.5 while the other did not meet minimum size requirements.

My question is, would it be untoward of me to ask the dealer if there are any options in terms of returning the card that did not meet the size requirements (or perhaps trading it in for something else in his inventory)? Or is it strictly a caveat emptor thing, particularly given the vagaries of grading?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can share.

Last edited by inceptus; 09-06-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Scott Russell

Better if you had addressed the possibility before purchase, and also the question of what you paid (did you pay a price commensurate with a card that would fail to receive a numerical grade?) comes into play. Still I would hope the dealer would be willing to work with you in some fashion.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Just wondering who the cards were. 3.5 is a nice grade. The other may be worth submitting to sgc.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

BTW - minimum size requirement doesn’t mean the card was trimmed. It means it measures differently than others. I’m guessing they weren’t all cut exactly correct 100+ years ago. SGC May be fine with it.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:21 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Personally, I likely wouldn't even ask unless it was agreed upon before purchasing. When buying at a show you have the card in your own hands and you can make your own judgement about the condition of the card. Regardless of what a TPA says, nothing about the card has changed since it was purchased. If it met your criteria at the show such that you were willing to purchase it, why doesn't it meet them now?

That said, if the dealer has known you for awhile and you've done deals with them in the past, they may be willing to take it back just for the customer service/repeat business aspect.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Adam, the 3.5 is a Lee Magee; the one that didn't grade is an Otto Miller. And yes, it was my understanding that PSA would mark "evidence of trimming" if that were the suspicion, so I'm sure the card is fine.

Based on this feedback (and my own gut), I'm not going to pursue anything with the dealer. I generally buy graded in an effort to protect myself from my own ignorance, and I'll likely continue to lean in that direction, while making an effort to get smarter! No doubt this board will continue to help in the regard...
Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good decision.
That said, buying graded doesn't seem to be as safe as it used to be. Caveat emptor even on graded, unfortunately. I have seen some cards in holders (recently), not even on any outed list, that just make me shake my head. I am beginning to feel I am as good or better than most graders and I am not that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inceptus View Post
Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Adam, the 3.5 is a Lee Magee; the one that didn't grade is an Otto Miller. And yes, it was my understanding that PSA would mark "evidence of trimming" if that were the suspicion, so I'm sure the card is fine.

Based on this feedback (and my own gut), I'm not going to pursue anything with the dealer. I generally buy graded in an effort to protect myself from my own ignorance, and I'll likely continue to lean in that direction, while making an effort to get smarter! No doubt this board will continue to help in the regard...