NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2019, 06:58 AM

Default Post office says delivered, Buyer says no...

I sold a card on ebay for $280 and it shows delivered on Friday. They guy leaves positive feedback, but then I get the message:

Hey… I accidentally just left feedback for this item. It said it was delivered however it was not. I’ve reached out to the local post office to try to get in touch with the carrier. Sorry to be a pain, did you purchase insurance? I will keep you posted.

I just used the insurance that comes with the regular mail. $50 or whatever. Not sure it would matter as it says it's delivered.

I called ebay to let them know the situation. She seemed to think I was ok, but I don't have a lot of faith in the first line customer service people.

One caveat - I had two of the exact same card, same grade. When I relisted, I didn't upload the new photo. In our ebay messages, prior to him purchasing, I sent him pics of the new card with the new cert number and he said it looked great, then paid me. I *think* I should be ok, but thinking this could muck things up more.

I haven't contacted him yet. Not sure about all this.

Maybe it's all the turmoil in the hobby or just reading about all the scams, but what do you think?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 AM
pete ullman

it's pretty common for the post office to enter that a parcel was delivered even though it wasn't. I'd give it a day or two and likely the parcel WILL ACTUALLY be delivered.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Sounds like start of a scam to me...did you send him the actual card listed?
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Signature required v/S Insurance

If a card sells for 200.00 or more I add signature required--depending on the item value or rarity I will add insurance too. ( I believe Ebay recommends signature confirmation?) I believe the $50 insurance is when using Priority Mail--?)--just yesterday at the Post Office I had a key in my P O Box for their locked box, when I retrieved the item it was actually for another customers box number--! When I gave the item to the person at the counter he didn't even say THANK YOU.

Last edited by Directly; 09-04-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

I'm on the other side of this. I have a package that shows "delivered" on 8/27 but when you click on the tracking it shows "awaiting delivery scan". Talked to the local PO and they said they can't find it, might have been delivered to the wrong house and that I need to go online to file a claim. I reached out to the seller just to make him aware and he said to wait. It was only a $9 item so I'm not planning on jumping thru hoops. Hard to hold the seller responsible but wasn't my fault either.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 AM
Richard Simon

I have had PO problems recently but not involving the hobby.
I had a case of cat food, from Amazon, delivered by PO somewhere. My Amazon account showed it was delivered but I never ever got it.
Then a case of a beverage I drink, from Amazon, delivered by PO somewhere in my neighborhood. The account showed delivered and next day a man from down the street walks into my lobby and hands the case to my doorman.
I can see on occasion the mailman messing up an envelope delivery, but two large cases??? Gimme a break.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Will USPS's insurance actually even cover a collectible? I've heard stories that the coverage value of collectibles can get very murky with the Postal Service.

Rob M
Old 09-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
I sold a card on ebay for $280 and it shows delivered on Friday. They guy leaves positive feedback, but then I get the message:

Hey… I accidentally just left feedback for this item. It said it was delivered however it was not. I’ve reached out to the local post office to try to get in touch with the carrier. Sorry to be a pain, did you purchase insurance? I will keep you posted.

I just used the insurance that comes with the regular mail. $50 or whatever. Not sure it would matter as it says it's delivered.

I called ebay to let them know the situation. She seemed to think I was ok, but I don't have a lot of faith in the first line customer service people.

One caveat - I had two of the exact same card, same grade. When I relisted, I didn't upload the new photo. In our ebay messages, prior to him purchasing, I sent him pics of the new card with the new cert number and he said it looked great, then paid me. I *think* I should be ok, but thinking this could muck things up more.

I haven't contacted him yet. Not sure about all this.

Maybe it's all the turmoil in the hobby or just reading about all the scams, but what do you think?
If scan says delivered and you sent to a confirmed address, you're covered. Especially since he left you positive feedback.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Pete Sycks

Signature confirmation costs $2.60, well worth it in the future.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 09-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I also have a card that shows delivered on ebay but I haven't seen it in the mailbox yet. It was a $10 card so I'm not overly concerned about it, but I'd sure like the card to actually show up in the next couple days. Not sure what I can do if the PO says it was delivered, even though it wasn't really there. I guess I'm just saying that it does really happen, probably a lot.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here

Last edited by CobbSpikedMe; 09-04-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:12 PM
DR
David R@tliff

I think you're fine. If the PO says it was delivered, that's what will show.

It's possible that you may have to run the traps and have the funds held up for a little while, but if what you've said is true you should be fine.

You didn't need to do the extra insurance, and even if you had it...if you think Paypal disputes are sometimes bad, just wait until you try and make a claim at the post office for a package that they say is delivered but your buyer says wasn't.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

I remember reading that the usps carriers frequently mark items as delivered that aren't so that they hit a certain percentage of on time deliveries. Especially important because of contracts with companies like amazon.

I have had "delivered" packages show up a day or two later, turn up at a neighbor's house, and not show up at all.

I wouldn't automatically assume this guy is scamming you, unless something else is giving you that impression.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Fred

I've got to believe that the postal service hires competent people but here's a neat one....

What looks to be time sensitive medical correspondence for someone else is delivered to my home. The next day the postal delivery person is stopped and the envelope is given to her with an explanation that it was given to me and not the person intended (who lived a couple of streets away). On the envelope I wrote "delivered to incorrect address". Five days later, guess what is in my mailbox? Yup, same letter. This time I figured I better just deliver it myself. The address on the envelope was clearly marked (it clearly isn't my address) and it wasn't my name, etc. How the heck does that happen?

I'm beginning to have doubts about the postal service because in the past year I've had two envelopes not delivered. One to an auction house (with a payment for an invoice), the other was a typical bill. It used to be unusual for the postal service to screw up the deliveries. Now it seems to becoming a bit more common.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:28 AM

When a parcel is scanned the scanner should send a gps signal to the “system”. You should be able to call the post office and see where and when the package was scanned. Then you can see if the mailman is incompetent or the buyer is either a scammer or had his package stolen.

Last edited by Brucepug; 09-05-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Mistyped
Old 09-05-2019, 07:12 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucepug View Post
When a parcel is scanned the scanner should send a gps signal to the “system”. You should be able to call the post office and see where and when the package was scanned. Then you can see if the mailman is incompetent or the buyer is either a scammer or had his package stolen.
That is correct. The gps tracking is incredibly accurate. When I was still working for the PO, I used gps tracking to locate packages. I would be able to tell customers things like -"Have you looked in your garage?", because the tracking was that precise. I could also tell them - "It looks like it was delivered to 406 Oak St instead of 408 Oak St". Then I would go where it was delivered and get it take it from the incorrect address to the correct address.

When you go to the PO to file a complaint, always insist on talking to the Postmaster or Supervisor. Some clerks can use the GPS tracking tool, but usually it is a management employee who has access to it. If it was correctly delivered, they can print you a map that shows exactly where it was delivered. It will also show the time of delivery. If the package shows that it was scanned as delivered at 10am and your carrier normally delivers your mail at 3pm, then there is a problem and the Supervisor should take that up with the carrier.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
That is correct. The gps tracking is incredibly accurate. When I was still working for the PO, I used gps tracking to locate packages. I would be able to tell customers things like -"Have you looked in your garage?", because the tracking was that precise. I could also tell them - "It looks like it was delivered to 406 Oak St instead of 408 Oak St". Then I would go where it was delivered and get it take it from the incorrect address to the correct address.

When you go to the PO to file a complaint, always insist on talking to the Postmaster or Supervisor. Some clerks can use the GPS tracking tool, but usually it is a management employee who has access to it. If it was correctly delivered, they can print you a map that shows exactly where it was delivered. It will also show the time of delivery. If the package shows that it was scanned as delivered at 10am and your carrier normally delivers your mail at 3pm, then there is a problem and the Supervisor should take that up with the carrier.
But....what happens when it shows delivered but "awaiting delivery scan"?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Rick McQuillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
But....what happens when it shows delivered but "awaiting delivery scan"?
I don't know how that could happen. Where does it show these items? On the USPS tracking site?

Do you have a tracking #?

Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

This is what it shows on Ebay under my purchased items.

Delivered on Aug 27, 2019

Tracking number: Tracking number 9400109699937752170040

This item has been shipped.

This is what it shows when you click on the tracking number. Sorry, can't figure out how to do the screen shot.

Aug 27, 2019
12:11am

AWAITING DELIVERY SCAN
SPRINGFIELD, IL 62704

Aug 26, 2019
10:11am

OUT FOR DELIVERY
SPRINGFIELD, IL 62704
Old 09-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Well at least you don't have a tracking number from Singapore.

I tried to save a buck or two ordering a rather common item from a vendor in Singapore on August 21st.

I was reassured that the parcel was accepted by the post office three times on August 23rd.

On September 3rd, Singapore cleaned out the post office and my package was "dispatched to overseas".

The question not answered was whether the parcel was placed on a slow boat to somewhere (China perhaps) or whether it was placed in a corked bottle and cast off the pier.

To the seller's credit the delivery window in the listing was 5 weeks long ending in earlier October. It did not state whether the uncertainty is due to variability of the prevailing trade winds or perhaps the ocean currents.

This thread will probably die before my delivery, but I can always start another one for updates.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Frank

Frank, I have been watching the hurricane news and I saw your package floating in the ocean outside of Florida.

Tim, you don't have a delivery scan. You have an "out for delivery" scan, which means that the carrier put the package in his truck for delivery, but he did not scan it as delivered.

Since you can't go to the delivery Post Office, you might want to go USPS.com and file a missing package complaint.

Last edited by buymycards; 09-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Tom Boblitt

Signature delivery doesn't do anything if the card is lost or damaged. Only full insurance will do something there. The USPS is generally pretty good about paying claims although in my experience it has taken 60+ days to get through the process a couple times. Good luck.......
Old 09-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Would it have helped to send it registered mail ?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Frank, I have been watching the hurricane news and I saw your package floating in the ocean outside of Florida.

Tim, you don't have a delivery scan. You have an "out for delivery" scan, which means that the carrier put the package in his truck for delivery, but he did not scan it as delivered.

Since you can't go to the delivery Post Office, you might want to go USPS.com and file a missing package complaint.
Thanks Rick. What a fool I am. I thought the media was tracking the hurricane and did not realize they were part of the Singapore Tracking Conglomerate.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

I had a similar situation just recently. I live in a multi-story building. USPS tracking said card was delivered. Tracking number was included. Got an email from USPS saying the same. But, I had not received the package. I checked with the ebay seller. I talked to my building's front desk to see if anyone who received it by mistake in their box had turned the package in. I talked to the USPS and filed a claim.USPS, of course, said the item was delivered. I kept saying I had not received it. Several days later, I came in my building and proceeded to my apartment and what you know the card (without the shipping envelope) was at my front door.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:08 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I have had PO problems recently but not involving the hobby.
I had a case of cat food, from Amazon, delivered by PO somewhere. My Amazon account showed it was delivered but I never ever got it.
Then a case of a beverage I drink, from Amazon, delivered by PO somewhere in my neighborhood. The account showed delivered and next day a man from down the street walks into my lobby and hands the case to my doorman.
I can see on occasion the mailman messing up an envelope delivery, but two large cases??? Gimme a break.
Maybe going to the local Amazon office and registering a heads up to someone in charge might help a bit? Or just call Jeff Bezos.

Last edited by CurtisFlood; 09-06-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Mistake listing post office instead of Amazon.