NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default David Hall's complete t206 collection

I wonder anyone has ever seen David Hall's complete t206 collection. Not that I don't believe he has had 5000+ t206s but browsing thru Dave's t206 collection would be a nice Netfilx documentary movie. It is really sad if he starts breaking up his collection without showing off to us or anyone since we all like to show off our "complete back runs of a single player". Imagine looking at hundreds of complete back run of t206s... WOW.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I wonder anyone has ever seen David Hall's complete t206 collection. Not that I don't believe he has had 5000+ t206s but browsing thru Dave's t206 collection would be a nice Netfilx documentary movie. It is really sad if he starts breaking up his collection without showing off to us or anyone since we all like to show off our "complete back runs of a single player". Imagine looking at hundreds of complete back run of t206s... WOW.
No, what is sad is that the first time his company was paid to give an opinion on a card, they got it wrong, and nobody seems to care.

Doug "but I'm sure all of the opinions noted on his slabs are correct" Goodman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagner-00000001.jpg (33.5 KB, 1117 views)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:46 PM
Banned

nobody seems to care? what are you talking about? many many people have criticized PSA for that for years and years.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:51 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Yes, I agree with this. This card has been crucified for years and years. Pertaining David's collection, it is unbelievable! Also, please keep in mind, David bought a ton of SGC graded cards as well.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 07-26-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Nobody who has bought it seems to care. And there is zero doubt Kendrick could sell it at a huge profit today. And I am guessing Doug's point is a broader one -- PSA started out getting one of the biggest cards in the hobby 100 percent wrong, but it hasn't impacted its business at all.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-26-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Nobody who has bought it seems to care. And there is zero doubt Kendrick could sell it at a huge profit today.
And therein lies the crux. Put aside some of the current scandals, if we take the most iconic card in the hobby, acknowledge that it is altered, and it has gone up in value by (millions) of dollars - the whole point of proceedings, particularly civil, is based upon the idea of there being "damages" that can be quantified. In the Wagner case, damages cannot be asserted

m
Old 07-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Yes, I agree with this. This card has been crucified for years and years. Pertaining David's collection, it is unbelievable! Also, please keep in mind, David bought a ton of SGC graded cards as well.....
He probably didn't want all over graded altered cards.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:08 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default David Hall

David ended his quest with 5000+ different combo's.

Stop the madness and move on. The mistake was made and I am sure he answered questions on it many more times than I think about it. Shit happens. My honest opinion is just collect SGC, they are never wrong.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
My honest opinion is just collect SGC, they are never wrong.
Hilarious, so what prompted SGC STOP their Guaranty, and not talk about it other than it being removed from their website?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-27-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
No, what is sad is that the first time his company was paid to give an opinion on a card, they got it wrong, and nobody seems to care.

Doug "but I'm sure all of the opinions noted on his slabs are correct" Goodman
Doug, way to hijack the chain - asshole move.

I am so sick of you dicks turning every thread into a bitchfest.

I would love to have seen David Hall’s whole collection and I hope it is documented in pictures somewhere, because it’s likely the closest anyone will get to a true master set.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 07-27-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I would love to have seen David Hall’s whole collection and I hope it is documented in pictures somewhere, because it’s likely the closest anyone will get to a true master set.

Ryan Hotchkiss
Bitchfest this....All his stupid cards are trimmed, IMHO

WHO cares about this assholes trimmed over graded collection PERIOD
Old 07-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post

Do you ever contribute anything positive on this site?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:16 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Quote:

Chuck, why do you think all of his cards are trimmed?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

It doesn’t matter if the cards are trimmed or not they weren’t bought in PWCC and they’re in Newport Beach Opinion givers slabs so sheeple will buy them regardless.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Barry Sloate

Everybody is upset over what has happened to this hobby, but not every thread has to end up complaining about it. Let's have some threads about the scandal, and let's have others to discuss vintage baseball cards. And then everybody will be happy.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Everybody is upset over what has happened to this hobby, but not every thread has to end up complaining about it. Let's have some threads about the scandal, and let's have others to discuss vintage baseball cards. And then everybody will be happy.
Selective disarmament (i.e.- laying down our pitchforks) may require some type of thread designation to facilitate effective enforcement of this policy.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Do you ever contribute anything positive on this site?
yes, to the autograph side. letting people know their Mickey Mantle's are fake, you, wise ass?
Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Selective disarmament (i.e.- laying down our pitchforks) may require some type of thread designation to facilitate effective enforcement of this policy.
Let's at least call off the cavalry.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Chuck, why do you think all of his cards are trimmed?
he started the company with a trimmed card he said was not trimmed...AND "HE SAW IT" according to him. Also, it is widely know his 7's look like 5's and his 8's like 6's. Hence, the preferential treatment we all know exists. When they're not trimmed, colored and bathed in chemicals that is.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I love you Barry and respect you and your opinions. I find it impossible as they are 1 in the same. The glass of water has piss in it, therefore it's ALL PISS, IMHO

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-24-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:42 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I hate to add to this post but many of his SGC crossovers were actually downgraded. So I guess he also requested that too?

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 07-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Peter Spaeth

Chuck may be blunt, but what's been going on for decades and what's coming to light now just isn't pretty, and it's pointless IMO to try to minimize it and put a positive spin on it and fault people for reacting to it with disgust. Sorry if some of us are spoiling your day, but as the cliché goes, it is what it is.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Barry Sloate

[QUOTE=Fuddjcal;1903278]he started the company with a trimmed card he said was not trimmed...AND "HE SAW IT" according to him. Also, it is widely know his 7's look like 5's and his 8's like 6's. Hence, the preferential treatment we all know exists. When they're not trimmed, colored and bathed in chemicals that is.[/

Oops, wrong thread cited. See below.

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-27-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
I love you Barry and respect you and your opinions. I find it impossible as they are 1 in the same. The glass of water has piss in it, therefore it ALL PISS, IMHO
Thanks for the love Chuck.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Chuck may be blunt, but what's been going on for decades and what's coming to light now just isn't pretty, and it's pointless IMO to try to minimize it and put a positive spin on it and fault people for reacting to it with disgust. Sorry if some of us are spoiling your day, but as the cliché goes, it is what it is.
But can’t we keep that bluntness for the threads about what’s going on and leave the benign threads to their topic??!!

The OP asked a legit question - has anyone ever seen Hall’s whole t206 collection. Not to see if the cards are trimmed or overgraded, but bc it is hands-down the greatest collection of varied T206 cards ever assembled. It’s an amazing feat/collection and, on its own, worthy of discussion, especially considering it is being broken up and sold.

Some of us want to still talk about and enjoy cards. We didn’t do anything wrong! We are angry too, but we still love cards and want to talk about them. Can’t people respect that, and not hijack every thread with anger and all caps and devolve it into the same thing that is already being discussed plenty of places elsewhere?

I mean come on.... I am not trying to minimize anything. I am just asking that we don’t make everything, especially benign card threads, about how much PSA and PWCC suck.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
But can’t we keep that bluntness for the threads about what’s going on and leave the benign threads to their topic??!!

The OP asked a legit question - has anyone ever seen Hall’s whole t206 collection. Not to see if the cards are trimmed or overgraded, but bc it is hands-down the greatest collection of varied T206 cards ever assembled. It’s an amazing feat/collection and, on its own, worthy of discussion, especially considering it is being broken up and sold.

Some of us want to still talk about and enjoy cards. We didn’t do anything wrong! We are angry too, but we still love cards and want to talk about them. Can’t people respect that, and not hijack every thread with anger and all caps and devolve it into the same thing that is already being discussed plenty of places elsewhere?

I mean come on.... I am not trying to minimize anything. I am just asking that we don’t make everything, especially benign card threads, about how much PSA and PWCC suck.
A reasonable point, it just seemed like the thread was already off the rails and I didn't like seeing Chuck attacked when I think his heart's in the right place.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Banned

thank you for defending chuck, interpreting doug and basically trying to direct traffic anytime pwcc or PSA has been mentioned the past month. Ryan is correct. Every thread doesn’t have to pertain to the shitshow that’s happening in the hobby. and just because someone might want to talk about cards doesn’t mean he is ignoring what’s going on.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Who responded first to Doug, me or you? So it's fine for you to attack him but not for me to then interpret him. Got it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:03 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I think his heart's in the right place.
It could be, but its crystal clear where his head is.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-27-2019, 04:43 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

Ryan Hotchkiss
I know that I have sold him some cards over the past several years that I would love to have back! Many are 1 of 1's, he has a fantastic collection.....
Old 07-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who responded first to Doug, me or you? So it's fine for you to attack him but not for me to then interpret him. Got it.
attack? not in the least.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
attack? not in the least.
Fair enough bad word choice on my part, but my point is I was just responding to what you said and not looking to derail the thread. I thought perhaps you had misinterpreted Doug's point. And if you can point me to any discussion about cards which did not involve the scandal and I tried to make it about the scandal please show me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:10 PM
Banned

I have not seen people trying to “put a positive spin on it and fault people for reacting to it with disgust.” you seem to imply that if someone wants a thread to just talk cards, he’s doing just that.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
I have not seen people trying to “put a positive spin on it and fault people for reacting to it with disgust.” you seem to imply that if someone wants a thread to just talk cards, he’s doing just that.
That was a dig at Joe Orlando's latest missive, should have been clearer, was discussed in another thread. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-27-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 PM

I didn’t take anything by Peter’s post. Just saying in general - let’s leave the psa/pwcc talk to the psa/pwcc threads and keep it out of the others.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:

Ryan Hotchkiss
Not only was it an a move, but I am a d, and I hope the entire collection burns in a fire.

F him, f his collection, f what the opinion sellers have done to the "hobby" and as long as we're at it f you.

But that's just me.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 07-27-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: by request
Old 07-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Doug Goodman

Who's the bigger a?

Me - for "hijacking" a thread?

David Hall - for building a business on lies

Ryan - for calling me an a because I noted David Hall's first known lie in a post about David Hall?

If the Charles Manson set goes on sale, I may mention Sharon Tate. Apologies in advance.

Doug "just call me a" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 07-27-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: by request
Old 07-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Who's the bigger asshole?

Me - for "hijacking" a thread?

David Hall - for building a business on lies

Ryan - for calling me an asshole because I noted David Hall's first known lie in a post about David Hall?

If the Charles Manson set goes on sale, I may mention Sharon Tate. Apologies in advance.

Doug "just call me asshole" Goodman
Easily you for all the F bombs, otherwise easily David Hall.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Easily you for all the F bombs, otherwise easily David Hall.
Laughing out loud.

I'm a modern day sailor, we can't help ourselves when it comes to cussing.

Doug
Old 07-27-2019, 09:08 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Laughing out loud.

I'm a modern day sailor, we can't help ourselves when it comes to cussing.

Doug
In real life almost every other word I say is a cuss word as I worked construction most of my life. On this forum they make me cringe and wish people would not use them.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:28 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I hope there is a list, in spreadsheet form, of all the front/back combinations. Might be useful for some T206 experts to research which cards may not exist with certain backs, and so on.

[Mark apologizes for bringing the thread back on point.]
Old 07-28-2019, 07:02 AM

Doug, thank you for your opinions. You are a class act. Have a nice Sunday.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2019, 07:53 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I hope there is a list, in spreadsheet form, of all the front/back combinations. Might be useful for some T206 experts to research which cards may not exist with certain backs, and so on.

try t206resource.com
Old 07-28-2019, 08:38 AM
louie joo

Default Other collectors

I wonder if Lou Lipset and Bill Heitman still have their collections.
Both were known to have rather large and top condition collections
in the early 80's.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:46 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
try t206resource.com
To me.... confirmation on a "spreadsheet" doesn't mean seeing front/back scan as a proof.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:03 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post

I have a list which was derived from David Hall's master set. Over the years, I've supplied David with a good number of T206 scarce front/back combos [AMERICAN BEAUTY 460,
BROAD LEAF 350, LENOX, PIEDMONT 350 (Elite 11), UZIT, etc.]

This list is approx. a year old, and lists 5244 different T206's. It also includes the red Ty Cobb with the TY COBB back. I'm sure David has acquired a few more T206's since then.

I have cross-checked it with the T206 information I have provided in the..... T206 Reference. This thread is an extensive wealth of information regarding all the confirmed T206
front/back combos. Furthermore, it provides expectations of certain T206's that have yet to be confirmed. And, it identifies the "T206's" which are NO-PRINTS.

TED Z
Old 07-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibor1 View Post
I wonder if Lou Lipset and Bill Heitman still have their collections.
Both were known to have rather large and top condition collections
in the early 80's.
Both have been members of our forum over the years. I think Lew probably still reads it. If so, "hi Lew." Lew has always been very helpful in hobby information endeavors, not to mention the Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards.
I believe both gentlemen sold all or almost all (maybe minus a few pieces) of their collections. I knew Lew's was great but Bill's was a bit before my return to the hobby (as an adult.)

As an ardent back collector, but of mostly other type cards, the T206 backs in the Hall collection, all together, would be cool to see.

Last edited by Leon; 07-28-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:20 AM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
To me.... confirmation on a "spreadsheet" doesn't mean seeing front/back scan as a proof.
The checklists on T206resource.com are around 99.9% perfect. If you're new to T206 back collecting, that's definitely the place to start. If you have doubts about anything you can always google, cardtarget, vcp, ask a question here, etc.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:32 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
told you.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Steven Sadler

Quote:
I agree, a virtual display of all of them for viewing would be great to see. It would also be a valuable reference moving forward regarding front/back combos...