NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
David, you've called him a jerk, hypocrite, self-righteous shmuck, and self-centered, egotistical, moron. After all of this, he called you an agitator. Step back and read the thread again, sir. YOU are dragging this thread down, and you know exactly what you are doing. I ask you to quote one post you've made on this thread that has had any purpose other than to stir the pot.

While we're at it, if someone is willing to spend $20,000 of their money on a baseball card is an "idiot," couldn't that name also be attached to someone who spends $10,000-20,000 on a signed baseball?

While we're at it (again,) I'm tired of hearing Chris bring up your continued silence on the Piedmont situation. How about breaking the cone of silence on that one so we can put it to rest, too?

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
+1
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Well, crap. I don't really like to step in the middle of threads too much. That being said, when I put my manager cap on, and some good folks are all saying the same thing, then I need to say something. So here is the deal.

David- you need to cut the crap out. I get the fact you were irritated or whatever. If you can't add anything positive please don't just fuel the fire. At the same time, I will also ask Chris and others to keep their distance from you. Next one that throws a jab at each other will get a time out. I don't want this place to get out of control and it's gone far enough. I am trying to be fair to all parties and the board in general. If anyone has any questions....go for it. Thanks for your understanding.
+1
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Casey Melchionno

Anyways, back to the original topic of this thread....I just ran across some GFA authenticated items for the first time since I learned about their existence. Thought you guys would like to see some of their work.

http://skystuff.skyauction.com/iSynA...ctionId=541912

http://skystuff.skyauction.com/iSynA...ctionId=542509

http://skystuff.skyauction.com/iSynA...ctionId=542519
Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyatbat View Post
Anyways, back to the original topic of this thread....I just ran across some GFA authenticated items for the first time since I learned about their existence. Thought you guys would like to see some of their work.

http://skystuff.skyauction.com/iSynA...ctionId=541912

http://skystuff.skyauction.com/iSynA...ctionId=542509

http://skystuff.skyauction.com/iSynA...ctionId=542519
Same exact stuff as the prime online auction for this stuff, I won't give them undue publicity by naming them.
Skyauction.com is a travel site, so happy to see them in the autograph business, what could be better?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-03-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default one further comment

One further comment on the subject of arguing. I re-read my last post and it probably singled David out a bit too much. My main message was supposed to be that I want everyone to quit bickering so much. However that happens, I don't care. Please carry on....but I have my eye on it. thanks ya'll....
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Steve Zarelli

So is the GFA sticker supposed to resurrect tainted Global Authentics stock?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Barry Sloate

When the memorabilia side was first created there was never any fighting, and we always had interesting discussions about photos, books, 19th century pieces, and the like. Now a bunch of autograph guys have hijacked this whole side of the board. All we have is our daily thread about fradulent autographs, then the same people get into their daily pissing match. I really hate what you guys are doing to the memorabilia side. It's no longer fun to hang out here unless you are in the mood to watch a trainwreck. I hate autographs and think you all have become a pain in the ass.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
In my opinion, uber "high grade" 10s are a theoretical grade and can't be consistantly replicated. A 10 could be 9.9 on another day and vice versa. It applies to cards, comics and coins.

That said, if someone wants to spend their money that way, that's their right. I'd prefer to spend my collecting dollars on 25 "near perfect" somethings than one imaginary perfect exemplar.

agreed,
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
When the memorabilia side was first created there was never any fighting, and we always had interesting discussions about photos, books, 19th century pieces, and the like. Now a bunch of autograph guys have hijacked this whole side of the board. All we have is our daily thread about fradulent autographs, then the same people get into their daily pissing match. I really hate what you guys are doing to the memorabilia side. It's no longer fun to hang out here unless you are in the mood to watch a trainwreck. I hate autographs and think you all have become a pain in the ass.
I couldn't agree more Barry. Well, I guess that just makes us a couple of sentimental old farts...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:28 PM

I find the drama, personal fights and evil people writing anonymous blogs too much, but the subject of autographs on this board I find interesting. So I have nothing against autographs being a topic here.

Last edited by drc; 02-03-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I couldn't agree more Barry. Well, I guess that just makes us a couple of sentimental old farts...
Make it three...

I remember (seems like yesterday) that we on the Memorabilia side took pride in not quibbling and fighting like the "Card Guys". This was known as the civil side of the board. It was basically a place that collectors could come to share information and help others with questions. Too bad it had to change gears so quickly.

I like vintage autographs too, but it does seem that 90% of the fighting, accusations, name calling and drama come from the autograph threads. Many of the frequent autograph posters seem to have an "agenda" that over-rides any potential enjoyment they are deriving from the hobby.

Last I checked, hobbies were for relaxation, recreation and enjoyment. What's happening here is more like a war
Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Barry Sloate

I wasn't suggesting that autographs aren't a fair topic of discussion, as they are an important area of the hobby. And since the level of fraud is epidemic, it's fair game to point out some of the bad ones. But it's the tenor of these threads I don't like. The same guys every day are ragging on each other, and frankly the only thing I can think of to say is that you guys are becoming really boring.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I wasn't suggesting that autographs aren't a fair topic of discussion, as they are an important area of the hobby. And since the level of fraud is epidemic, it's fair game to point out some of the bad ones. But it's the tenor of these threads I don't like. The same guys every day are ragging on each other, and frankly the only thing I can think of to say is that you guys are becoming really boring.

I for one have probably been one of the most out spoken and seemingly against Travis & David. I AM NOT. I am going tone down the rhetoric.

After further review and not letting my emotions get in the way, I can see where David has a bone to pick with PSA & JSA. If they cost me the kind of money, they cost him on the 27 Yankee ball fiasco, I'd be pretty pissed about it too and I'd regularly speak out about their sloppiness and lackadaisical mistakes. I just wish he wouldn't rail against Richard & Chris, because they are great assets to the hobby and have so much to offer as well.

I also have great respect for Travis & his knowledge on Boxing even though he regularly bashes me and I bash him. Boxing is his passion and PSA & JSA apparently suck at Boxing, so I do get his focus. I just wish he would speak out about ALL forgeries a little more, which are always rampant.

The FDE forgeries are just as important to focus on. Once they are outed, guys like MORALESS, AAU, STAT (they turn to TTA), Birdsick they seemingly go away for a bit and then BANG Tbhey are back on another website or you have new fraudulent FDE's coming out of the woodwork like CSC & ACE pops up and rear their ugly heads. IT IS A BIG Never ending problem & we can thank Chris for helping to spearhead this effort.

Richard is against 3rd party to some degree, but does understand they are the lesser of two evils and regularly "tells it like it really is". He is respected by almost everyone in the hobby and rightfully so.

All in all we are really lucky that these guys put themselves out there and contribute on this board, which is really the standard, by which all blogging is measured. Thanks to all four of you guys, for your passion. FUDD. Happy Super Bowl.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Richard Simon

Thank you Chuck, I do appreciate your kind words and the sense of humor you have shown in many of your earlier posts.
Chuck you referred to ACE as an FDE, they are not an FDE.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-11-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Richard Simon

I wrote to this new company, GFA, 5 days ago from the contact page on their website, asking how to submit autographs for authentication.
I am still waiting for a reply.
It appears to me that they are not looking for retail collector business.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Richard Simon

Default Open appeal to steve rocchi

Steve - it would be great if you came here to Net54 and explained to us why e mails are not being answered and what the goals of your company are.
I suspect that many people read this board who never post and hope that you are one of them.
Let us hear from you, it would be very helpful to your new endeavor if we had an idea where it was headed. So far only a couple of your certs have appeared on a site that I prefer not to name because they deserve no publicity from me
--
Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Richard Simon

Default COME ON MR ROCCHI,, we are calling for an appearance.

Steve - we now see your certs all over that infamous website,,, the one I shall never name,, but its the one where Birdsick used to operate.
Care to explain yourself now?
--
Old 02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Stephen Rocchi Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators LLC Mickey Mantle

Did Stephen Rocchi and his Forensic Experts really forensically examine the below Mickey Mantle signed photo and certify it as authentic?

We have seen that same Mickey Mantle signed photograph "authenticated" by Nicholas Burczyk, Chris Morales, Ted Taylor and Drew Max.

Please note that I will not show the link where this originates from. But for my own files, I have printed the entire auction page.

GFA-Mantle-1.jpg

GFA-Mantle-2.jpg

GFA-Mantle-3.jpg

GFA-Mantle-4.jpg
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Gee, it already had a Global sticker, how much authenticatin' can one pic get??

Ken
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Gee, it already had a Global sticker, how much authenticatin' can one pic get??

Ken
Maybe somebody resubmitted it to GFA for their money back guarantee, and Global was chosen as the authorized 3rd party.

From their website....
"In the event the purchaser of a GFA authenticated signature believes that the signature is not genuine with respect to GFA standards and procedures, he/she may submit the signature through the GFA “Guarantee Resubmission” service and GFA will submit the signature to an authorized 3rd party forensic authenticator for additional examination.

If authenticity is determined under such “Guarantee Resubmission” procedures to be found non-authentic, GFA shall pay the purchase price for the autograph in question or at the owner of the signature’s option to replace the signature with a GFA authenticated signature of the original signer of similar item and value."
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Maybe somebody resubmitted it to GFA for their money back guarantee, and Global was chosen as the authorized 3rd party.

From their website....
"In the event the purchaser of a GFA authenticated signature believes that the signature is not genuine with respect to GFA standards and procedures, he/she may submit the signature through the GFA “Guarantee Resubmission” service and GFA will submit the signature to an authorized 3rd party forensic authenticator for additional examination.

If authenticity is determined under such “Guarantee Resubmission” procedures to be found non-authentic, GFA shall pay the purchase price for the autograph in question or at the owner of the signature’s option to replace the signature with a GFA authenticated signature of the original signer of similar item and value."
'cept GAI can be called many things but forensic is not one of them.
So the GFA people don't need GAI but we are all still wondering what forensic authenticator is the alternate that they babble about.
It is six days now since I wrote to them asking about how to submit and I am still waiting for an answer.
That customer service dept. must be sooooo busy,,,
Hey Steve,,, what's up? Apparently nothing but same s--- different company.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-16-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 PM

A guess is the photo is stock leftover from GAI and/or its owners. I said a guess.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Stephen Rocchi GFA, Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators

Well I guess Stephen Rocchi (GFA) and his team of Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators are up and running.

They forensically authenticated another one of these Mantle signed photographs. What a piece of garbage. Mr. Rocchi, maybe you can come over here and explain to us the forensic techniques used to "authenticate" the below Mantle autograph?

Mantle-GFA-2.jpg

Mantle-GFA-3.jpg

Mantle-GFA-5.jpg
Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Steve Zarelli

It didn't take long for this matter to become clear.

SSDFE
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
It didn't take long for this matter to become clear.

SSDFE
It started with Birdsick and then ---->> GFA.
And Mr Rocchi's firm does not answer their e mail and most obviously does not want any public submissions or contact.
And I bet he reads this site.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-21-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM
Richard Simon

Chris - if you look at the auction ad you can see it is an autogrape , not necessarily an autograph.
Perhaps the authenticators thought they were working with fruit.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
It started with Birdsick and then ---->> GFA.
And Mr Rocchi's firm does not answer their e mail and most obviously does not want any public submissions or contact.
And I bet he reads this site.
I bet Mr. Rocchi reads this. I hope he does.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

so....GFA is no good?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
James Wymer

I love the $1800 compare price while theirs is only bringing $23. Just plain silly!!!

Last edited by Wymers Auction; 02-21-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
I love the $1800 compare price while theirs is only bringing $23. Just plain silly!!!
And those things (I won't call them autographs) used to flood ebay with amateur sellers trying to make a killing. They saw these auctions paid little $ for these items and tried to sell them on ebay, using the same compare at $1800 wording in their ebay ads.
Simply foolish, not to mention stupid.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 02-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.