NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default Leon, are You Going to Do Anything to Keep the Leading Graded Card Collector Here?

Posted By: barrysloate

Dave- David Steinberg told a funny story recently along those lines.

He has two teenage daughters, and when gentleman callers come to the door and say "Good evening Mr. Steinberg, how are you" he translates that to mean "hi, I am here to have sex with your daughter."

I guess that's a typical father's take on it

Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Default Leon, are You Going to Do Anything to Keep the Leading Graded Card Collector Here?

Posted By: jay behrens

Cat, thanks. I'm flattered. I still read the posts, but have no real desire to post that much here. I do most of my posting on the other vintage card message board.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Centurion

"And, behold, the veil of the message board was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent, and the threads were hijacked."

I believe Dav will return to the board Sunday morning, for Truly, He is the Backbone of the Hobby.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

never heard anyone call Jim Crandell "Jimmy"

what should Leon do?! What should he do!? Is there something I can do to help??!! Whatever will happen to us all? Perish the thought! Whatever will we do without...Him?! I was wondering why I haven't been sleeping at night...or eating during the day...and why I haven't been regular....--Now it all makes sense!

Besides, be more specific! After all, I am The Leading Graded Card Collector!!! (in my house).

Damn, I hope the sun comes up tomorrow.....seriously, I'm really worried.

truly....biazarre post.
take it elsewhere with this Sky is Falling stuff

Jason L

Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

Jim wasn't really all that bad...he had his good points...off the top of my head I can't think of them. However, as a newbie he did scare the heck out of me, I started thinking that every card in a PSA or SGC holder was trimmed and re-colored.

Peter

Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pstratt

Yes to Proposition 420.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Leon- You don't have to do a darn thing. If he wants to come back he will, if not, that's his choice. Frankly I think the board will be more serene now.
As far as hobby giants go, I'd rather sit down with Lionel Carter. This guy is a TRUE backbone of the hobby guy.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

If we want to talk about a missed poster let's talk about Frank Ward (fkw). Where did he go? He was one of the most helpful and informative posters to ever post here in my opinion.

I must have missed the backbone's announcement.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

W.G.A.S. Not me for one!

Old 04-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Hey Bob -- I enjoyed your profile in Old Cardboard this month. I also couldn't help but notice your use of the phrase "true backbone of the hobby." Mere coincidence? Or were you inspired?

Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys and Gals,

The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.... Be well to all over Easter and the Masters.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Evans

although I feel an equal kinship to Singha Thai beer. I also have the card posted by Centurion, one of my favorites. Mark

Old 04-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

yuns must like the guy, everytime he posts, yall come a runnin. I do not need everyone to be alike, we all have are own charachter..
...this is who we are. Some are well liked ,well hated,well known.

I am my own boss on what I buy,the fact that I done have to sleep with none of ya pwix, dont let noneya bother me. Jim does not bother me ,Jim is just ,uh JIm.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Nieves

Joann,

This is a serious discussion for serious collectors. I will politely request that you refrain from further participation in this thread. Thank you for understanding.

Tom

Old 04-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Yea, Joann. Knock it off!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Joann, Joann, I'm afraid you'll just never be a backbone.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Can we now add "sock-puppetry" to the list of Crandell's trolling behaviors?

edited spelling

Old 04-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Funny Crandell.....fake handles now? Tom?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I just can't believe threads like these, nothing to do about vintage cards get more posts than threads about cards. Really who cares if collectors stop posting? New collectors are always waiting in the wings, so we really won't miss them. Look even Jay keeps coming back. . He at least adds some valid posts.
Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Well well. I've had quite a week here. A few days ago I was called 'holier than thou' (hee - cool, because I've never been called holier than much of anything before). And now I've been asked not to participate in this thread for not being sufficiently serious. lol

I wonder what post I made that detracted from the seriousness of this thread. Could it have been my first post where I noted the similarity between the initial post here and one on the non-vintage board? Naaah. Had to be the yes vote for pot!

Check this out - here is the non-vintage thread. Note that the initial post is almost identical to this one.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/thread/1170994269/Tom%2C+are+You+Going+to+Do+Anything+to+Keep+thr+Le ading+Graded+Card+Collectors+Here-

So before I bow out of this thread, I have just one question:

Leon,

I have announced that I will not post in this thread anymore. I am the giant of the low grade collecting industry on the west side of Grand Rapids Mich - the giant I tell you! Do you plan on doing anything to get me back? You may not care about collecting on Grand Rapid's west side but it is the future of the hobby and the future seems to be walking away.

Just want to know if anything is being done or if you care?

Joann

hahaha - this might be the funnest post I've ever made. Now - back to the seriousness everyone.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

First and most foremost Tom needs to email me privately. This is not an option. I just want to chat a little off line. If Tom (hi Tom) doesn't then I will be forced to take the next step. Nothing personal. Secondly, although I am fairly neutral on folks posting, as they come and go all of the time, I would probably ask you to come back, Joann.....I enjoy your posts very much....As for the legalization issue, that's a matter for another board. I will plead the 5th. best regards

Old 04-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Joann, that thread is priceless. I never knew it existed -- and yet it is almost identical to nearly every thread that Jim participates in over here! He insults everyone and then cowers, hurt, when any response is provided (and falsely claims that his feelings aren't hurt). And it's never his fault, always everyone else's -- despite the fact that the same scenario plays out over and over on various boards, whether it be here, the non-sports board or the CU boards with him always at the center of the storm.

Alas, if it were only true that he would no longer be posting here. But as we all know, that could never happen because that would mean leaving the forum to the pro-abortionists and hippies. Fat chance.

PS Leon: you can only plead the 5th without any adverse impact on you in situations in which you would be making an admission which could lead to you being charged with a crime. As your invocation of the 5th here is not such a situation, your plea would, therefore, allow for the adverse inference -- that, in fact, you are for the legalization of marijuana. As the moderator of this fine board, I am shocked! and appalled! (But, of course, wholeheartedly agree with the position)

Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

thanks for the link Joann.

the same post, but from Jim on another board.

that makes this just terribly sad.

I keep trying to give Jim the benefit of the doubt -
but both Jim and Tom have jumped down a few notches with this one.

(assuming Jim and Tom are actually two different people)

Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

"April 6 2007, 11:05 AM

I, for one

will miss Jim. I always enjoyed his spirited exchanges and while I didn't always agree with him I respected his right to voice his opinions.

It is a shame that some of these threads get so vitriolic. If it continues the board will likely lose more valued posters. That will be our loss."

April 7, 2007

I, the undersigned, do hereby delete the foregong post of April 6, 2007. I must have had just one too many at the time.

/s/ Steve Murray

Old 04-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

My friend Peter Spaeth told me that someone had posted about me and that certain people were spreading the rumor that I was posting under an assumed name.

It is not me--I have never in my life posted under another name and will never do so. If I have something to say here I always have the guts to say it.

As for the non-sports board, all the graded card collectors left and formed their own board.

Here a lot of people have left(85 at last count) to join Jay and Scott's board and the graded card collectors rarely post here anymore.

For those of you that think its me posting under the name Nieves or whatever or that I had anything to do with it, I will bet you $10,000.

Come on big mouths--step up.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

I for one never thought that Jim started this thread. What would be the point? Jim is right in the sense that no matter how ridiculous his posts are (and the previous one is a doozy) he at least claims ownership of them.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

let me clarify my post.

You and Tom posting the SAME post for and about each other on different boards... is just laughable and sad.

You both jump down a few notches - - although I keep wanting to give you a chance (I suspect you are nice enough guy just going about things in a strangely aweful way).

If you and Tom were the same person (which was not my assumption) - you would have jumped down about 15 notches instead of a few.

So although you are heading in the wrong direction - it could have been worse

Old 04-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

I am entering this dialogue belatedly. Haven't been around long enough to know the "good guys" from the "bad guys", but I will stick up for Joann. Her posts have been informative for me, esp. on the issue of fakes.

Not so sure about the legalization issue though!!

RC

Old 04-08-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I have no idea why Joann is being chastised here and asked not to post. So that I don't have to reread the whole thread, could someone be kind enough to fill me in? Thank you.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

I apologize to Tom for thinking he was Jim. I don't read the non-sports board so I didn't see Jim's post over there....I now see that this was parody aimed at Jim.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

was just doing a parody of Jim's post on another board...

then my apologies to jim.

you jump back up a few notches

Old 04-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Barry - I wasn't being chastised. Tom (originator of this thread) asked me to refrain from further participation because this was a serious thread for serious collectors.

For some reason that struck me as funny (especially given some of the tangents the thread has already taken).

And as clarification, I'm also not sure if this thread was a parody of Jim, or in defense of Jim. I'm not sure if it matters to me - the similarity of the two threads jumped out at me and that's pretty much it.

No matter which is the answer, I'm really really curious to know who Tom is.

See? I'm back in the thread mere moments after I said I wouldn't participate in it further. Just as I'm sure Jim will be back on this board.

J

Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Joann- whoever Tom may be, since when does one poster tell another poster to cease and desist?

Old 04-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

This thread is pure parody from the first post to asking Joann to stop posting.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

That's what I'm trying to understand- is this all serious or a joke? And if it is the latter, excuse my naivete, but I'm missing the joke.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

I think that the post asking me to stop posting is the clearest sign that this is a parody. For some reason that one, in retrospect, seems very tongue in cheek.

Tom? You out there? Care to reveal? Because I'm beyond curious at this point.

J

Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Barry, did you read the thread on the non-sports board that inspired this? Tom is mimicking Jim in this thread right down to asking a poster to stop participating in the thread.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

I think I can solve this whole thing right now by asking one simple question:

Has anyone ever seen Jim, Bruce and Tom in the same place at the same time?

Alas, the mystery of the whilst-ridden "we" is solved!

And they would've gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those pesky net54 kids and their punk rock and dope legalization!

-Ryan

Old 04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

No Dan, I've only been on the non-sports board a couple of times, so that explains what I am missing. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

This thread was begun as a parody of Jim's post on the Non-Sports Board.

While Jim's NS post was an attempt to prevent 2 top notch collectors from leaving the Non-Sports board due to the ramblings of one of the moderator's cronies, this thread is merely designed to be inflammatory and to allow everyone to beat up on Jim again. To imply that Jim posted this thread shows a lack of knowledge of the politics of this Forum.

This thread is a real waste of space on a board where collecting and hobby knowledge used to be the prime focus.

Frank

Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am going with the parody bit and don't really care to be discussing this anymore. A few people have suggested I should lock this thread. At this point I think it's a good idea.... Let's get back to current auctions and cards and the hobby........thanks