NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Default Can anyone help me date this photo?

Posted By: Bryan Long

I am looking for some help dating this photo. It is from Columbia University and I am having someone at the university help me identify the students in the photos, but we need to narrow down the date. There are a ton of people on this board better at dating these types of things than me. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Bryan

Old 12-01-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Pennsylvania Ted

Eddie Collins was at Columbia before he started playing for the A's in 1906. However, I don't see as either of these guys look like him.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Quilted pants indicate 1890's...although the catcher's mitt looks to be circa 1900. I think you'd be safe calling this from about 1898-1903.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Dan,
Thank you very much for the help! I appreciate it.

and . . . I also doubt Eddie is in the picture. Maybe they played with him though

Old 12-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

What are they standing in front of? The Purple Oyster?

Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator

My guess is that Columbia University doesn't look much like that anymore. Of course, I'm not from New York.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George

Bryan,
That's a beautiful photo. I did a quick google search on Columbia University and MLB players. I've attached the link below. It looks like Leo Fishel starting playing major league ball in 1899 but I was unable to find any photos of him. I agree that neither one of them looks like Eddie Collins however it's an absolutely striking image!

I know your original note was tied to dating this but wanted to add some more info. on any potential pro ball connections.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/college/columbia_university_baseball_players.shtml

George

Old 12-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Thanks a ton George - any and all info is greatly appreciated. This board offers a huge amount of knowledge and that is why I keep coming back.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I agree with Dan, Id say 1899.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I'm jealous, as an alum who collects items like that, it is awesome.

Secondly, there are some buildings on the campus which still exist from when CU moved to morninside heights in the 1890's. And from my memory, that looks like the front of the building, whose name I can't recall from, that still exists which was built then.

Best Regards
Rich

Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

I finally got a message back from Columbia University regarding the picture. The e-mail is below:

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for your email inquiring about the photo of the two baseball players. I had a staff member search Columbia College yearbooks from 1890 to 1910. She did not see any individuals that looked like the two gentleman in the photo you provided. What she did figure out was that the last year baseball players wore those waffle-type pants was in 1906. The first yearbook to have photos of the baseball team in it is the 1896 edition, picturing the 1894 baseball team.

I am afraid we can not spend any more staff time investigating this query. If you ever have the opportunity to come to New York, you are more than welcome to search through the yearbooks and our photo collection yourself.

Regards,

Jocelyn Wilk

My next question is . . . where can I go from here? Is my search over with or are there other places that may be able to help. The guys in the picture are pretty unique in appearance to me so I would think that if there are in the yearbook then they would be found. Just looking to get some ideas on more research options.
Thanks,

Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

Have you considered researching contemporary newspaper accounts? There were a heck of a lot of NY newspapers circa 1900 and I gotta believe many of them are on microfiche in libraries.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

In my somewhat limited study of college ball players at the turn of the century I have found that at many schools not only was there a varsity baseball team, but also a freshman squad, fraternity squads, and even college squads within the school (Law, business, agricutlure, teaching, et cetera) Usually only the varsity team would be pictured in the annual yearbook. I used to have a bound copy of the Daily Nebraskan (UNL's student paper) from 1906 and not only did these teams play intraschool games, but also played against teams from other schools.

It's possible that the players pictured on your photo are not varsity players and never were.

edited to add: That's not to say that I think you should give up by any means....the search is 99% of the fun.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

I was able to identify this fellow from a 1905 U of Nebraska Yearbook.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

He is M.E. Townsend the team captain.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help.