NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 PM

Default Dodgers/Giants Opening Day 1958 ticket & program

This might be the wrong forum for this item, but it was my best guess...

Also found among my late Dad's effects is this program from Opening Day April 18, 1958 at the LA Coliseum between the Giants and Dodgers (Dodgers first game in LA). With it, I found a complete ticket (but torn in half along perforation) and one ticket stub.

The program is scored. I don't know if that makes it better or worse. Both in ink and pencil (that was my Dad!).

The inside page (scorecard page) is loose from the binding. The rest of the program is still held together.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Doug MacKenzie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DodgerScore1.jpg (55.7 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg DodgersScore2.jpg (49.9 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg DodgersScoreTicket.jpg (52.7 KB, 260 views)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Hi Doug,
Welcome to net54.
When you say, "any thoughts", what are you asking?

You've done a nice job of describing what you have pictured. Are you asking for a possible value, or what is your question, please?

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Banned

Doug,

I collect Cleveland Indians tickets and ticket stubs and have a particular fondness for opening-day tickets from Cleveland (about 70 or so different). I also have a few opening-day ticket/program combos like what you posted. My opinion is that unless the game was special other than being the opener (first game in a stadium, a Hall of Famer's debut, etc.) or the program/ticket is in exceptional condition, the value isn't going to be great for examples from the 1950s to present.

Judging from your photos, I'd say the condition of your items is typical but not exceptional. If someone offered me an Indians opening-day program/ticket combo from the mid 1950s to early '60s, I'd expect to pay $25-$40.

As to the question of whether the program being scored is a positive, I think that varies from collector to collector. If the scoring is complete, I think it's a positive. Does it add much value to the program? Again, unless something special happened in the game, not really. But, for example, if a scored Yankees program shows Mantle homering, there's added value.

Not sure whether this is the type of info you're looking for, but it's my two cents.

Rob
Old 01-25-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Doug,

I collect Cleveland Indians tickets and ticket stubs and have a particular fondness for opening-day tickets from Cleveland (about 70 or so different). I also have a few opening-day ticket/program combos like what you posted. My opinion is that unless the game was special other than being the opener (first game in a stadium, a Hall of Famer's debut, etc.) or the program/ticket is in exceptional condition, the value isn't going to be great for examples from the 1950s to present.

Judging from your photos, I'd say the condition of your items is typical but not exceptional. If someone offered me an Indians opening-day program/ticket combo from the mid 1950s to early '60s, I'd expect to pay $25-$40.

As to the question of whether the program being scored is a positive, I think that varies from collector to collector. If the scoring is complete, I think it's a positive. Does it add much value to the program? Again, unless something special happened in the game, not really. But, for example, if a scored Yankees program shows Mantle homering, there's added value.

Not sure whether this is the type of info you're looking for, but it's my two cents.

Rob
Hi Rob,
Happy belated New Year!
Perhaps you know this, but 1958 Opening Day at LA was the 1st West Coast OD as the LA Dodgers following their move from Brooklyn. That, in of itself, makes this pairing more special than a typical Opening Day...

I definitely agree with you that the program being scored adds interest and value. It also seems to me that there were a lot of ex-Brooklyn Dodger players and stars in attendance that night. It was literally a who's who of Brooklyn Dodgers baseball...

The value of Doug's group of 1958 Opening Day ticket stubs and program would likely exceed $300 for this reason. As you stated, condition is a limiting factor. If that full ticket had stayed intact instead of being torn at the perforation it would have increased the value quite a bit to the right collector. Frame the items together and it would make a great piece of Dodgers history, IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-25-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned

Hi, Scott.

For whatever reason, when I made my post I had in my head that 1957 was the Dodgers' first post-Brooklyn season and was in too much of a hurry to do a quick Internet search. I'll chalk that up to the ill effects of being an Indians fan all these years.

I think your estimation on value is accurate. Not being a Dodgers collector, I'm not sure how often opening-day ticket stubs and programs from '58 come up for sale.

Pretty cool, Doug, that these belonged to your dad.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 AM
Banned

The scans of the tickets below kind of fit this topic, and even if they do veer a bit of course, please indulge me as we don't talk about ticket stubs all that much.

Even though the first baseball game in Cleveland Stadium didn't take place on opening day (July 31, 1932), it is similar to Doug's first-game-in-Los-Angeles collection. The top ticket stub in the scan was used for admittance; the other two are proofs.

The 1947 and '48 opening-day ticket stub and ticket are more ornate examples compared to the more common pedestrain example from 1964. Sadly, by the late 1950s, many teams stopped creating attractive tickets for regular-season games.

The 1975 opening-day ticket stub also was Frank Robinson's debut as baseball's first black manager, an example of when a special event can enhance the value.

Last edited by Rob D.; 01-25-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmac86 View Post
This might be the wrong forum for this item, but it was my best guess...

Also found among my late Dad's effects is this program from Opening Day April 18, 1958 at the LA Coliseum between the Giants and Dodgers (Dodgers first game in LA). With it, I found a complete ticket (but torn in half along perforation) and one ticket stub.

The program is scored. I don't know if that makes it better or worse. Both in ink and pencil (that was my Dad!).

The inside page (scorecard page) is loose from the binding. The rest of the program is still held together.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Doug MacKenzie
Hi Doug -

Welcome to Net54, give my regards to your brother Bob (I can't believe nobody has made that (admittedly bad) joke yet). Insert smiley face here.

Nice to have another Doug in the ranks.

I collect scored programs from the 1958 Dodgers season, so far, I have 87 different games. One of my opening day in LA programs (I have three) came with this letter, hope the scan is readable...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958-04-18-Dodgers-Giants3-letter.jpg (76.3 KB, 198 views)
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 PM

Default Thanks!

Hello,

My apologies for my delayed response. To answer an earlier question in the thread, I guess I was wondering if this is "Auction House" value or something I should just put on Ebay. With the great information you've all given me, I think I'll try an auction house.

Many thanks to everyone!
Old 02-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Mike

Put it in the Buy/Sell section. I'll take a shot at it. Figure out the price you want and let me know or put it up for sale here Would love to own it.
Mike

Last edited by brookdodger55; 02-03-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM

Default Up for Auction

Thanks to all for their help in figuring this out. I've finally have this up for auction. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/

Thank you all again,

Doug
Old 07-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Shale Levine

I bought a unscored program and a first day ticket as well off ebay for $160.00