NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default Jose Bautista painting from our 3rd raffle...

Hello friends,

So, I figured I'd start a new thread for Chris' Jose Bautista painting (from the raffle last month), just to give a fresh look into this thing on my end from the ground up.

As you've probably read by now, Chris is a big Blue Jays fan, and has been since the team's inception in 1977. When we were in contact the first time, he made that known. From the outset, he wasn't terribly interested in a painting of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig or Christy Mathewson. He likes those fellas, but he wanted something that was a bit more on the personal side. Also, no self-respecting Toronto fan could possibly live with him/herself if a Yankee was adorning their wall!

He had a couple of ideas in mind, many of which he shared with the board: Joe Carter's romp around the bases, Devon White's catch in the '92 WS, George Bell's pennant-clinching catch in '85, the first pitch thrown in Jays franchise history, and finally, the Bautista bat flip.

Chris was a little bit worried that I might not really go for the last one, since it was a bit modern, and also somewhat controversial with a lot of people. Personally, it was never a problem for me, as I'm happy to just act as the visual reporter here. After some back and forth, I could tell through our conversations that more and more he was leaning towards Jose, as he eloquently stated the reason for in the raffle thread:

"I would be ecstatic with either but when I look back at last season and how I had something to cheer about after over two decades of zero playoff baseball. I didn't miss a game (live or PVR) and I was able to get into with my daughter (she has a Bautista doll and at 8 months, could search for it by name).

Even though it looks like Jose won't be resigned at the end of this year (which I realize is a business decision, but like Carter and Alomar etc, he deserves to have a place with the Jays greats) what he did while a Jay has been special. Two HR titles, 54 bombs in 2010. Really the only star for a long while.

Carter's HR now, when looking back, seems like a cherry on top of a sundae that I couldn't finish. An embarrassment of riches from 1985-1993. All those great moments from that run blend into one pleasant memory. Bautista gave me a fresh one to hang on to."

I don't think there could have been a better reason for choosing a specific player or moment, and I was thrilled that he went with what his heart was telling him. This is one of those pieces that just feels different - you can tell how much Chris (and his family) lives and dies by this team. And that's just awesome.

So, onto the image itself. Below is what we chose to work from (though the full, uncropped shot has a bit more room on both the left and right sides):

Normally, I would probably have tried to convince Chris to go with the larger, more expansive image - capturing the scope of the moment is always an important thing, and size is usually a big factor in doing so. But when it came down to it, he really liked to have it cropped and focused in on Jose:

I think it was an excellent choice, as he's still going to be able to keep a good amount of fans in the background. The fact that all of their arms are raised to the sky really adds to the emotion of it all, and I think helps tell the story. But in the end, the focal point will be Bautista's bat. He ends up being cropped a bit more tightly to the edge in that lower left corner, and his bat just steals center-stage. And when it's painted, I'll make sure that that's where the viewer's eyes go first.

Speaking of the painting, the stretcher bars have officially been ordered. once they land here in Brooklyn, they'll be constructed, and we'll get into the linen and priming.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with all of y'all! And if you have any questions, comments or problems, don't be afraid to chime in.

Thanks for reading,

Graig