NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-07-2013, 12:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If the Mariners next move isn't to "fix" the 1B situation, it will be disappointing. Was really hoping for Napoli to come here. Jack Z's tenure has been filled with complacency and some very poor decisions. The rebuilding phase would've continued to drag on forever, and attendance has declined each year since 2003. Soccer is now more popular here than baseball

This is Zduriencik's final chance to save credibility (and his job), IMHO.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
"No Price for YOU!!! NEXT!!!!"
-The Rays Nazi
Haha. I didn't mean Paxton for Price. Personally, I hope Paxton becomes a key figure in the Mariners' rotation, as I bought a ball he threw in his first Major League game.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
Only a couple changes to Mike's post... He's probably forgotten more about the game and evaluating players than I'll ever know....

..... but I don't think Capps will be in the rotation, he's a decent middle reliever. I don't remember him starting any games last season. Erasmo Ramirez or Maurer might be a fifth starter with Hernandez, Iwakuma, Walker, and Paxton. I wouldn't mind a trade Paxton & Franklin for Price, but it's a pipe-dream.

Bloomquist at short, rather than Miller. Always liked him, glad he'll be back in Mariners uniform again. Ibanez was a welcome surprise after his return last season, maybe lightning strikes twice.
Signing a player like Cano was once a pipe dream as well. I like Capps' size and frame at 23 he will get thicker and throw harder. I think that with maturity, opportunity, and experience he could develop into a solid #3 starter. Obviously Walker is the jewel and I would prefer to keep him. However, Price is an established star who's addition to the team would serve put butts back in those vacant seats. I like Butler, and Hart coming off an injury would be affordable. Both could offer much needed protection for Cano without breaking the bank. I like Millers body and athleticism but ocassionally cringe when I see his foot work. Although I am not a huge fan of Miller I'll take his future over Bloomquist's. Bloomquist is a pro's pro but not a starter. I see his value in his ability to execute. He has a lot to teach Miller hopefully Milller recognizes that. Bloomquist also has the unique ability to play both short and center. I really would love to see them get Pederson from LA. I see him developing into something special and would love to see that career blossom in my own backyard.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Signing a player like Cano was once a pipe dream as well. I like Capps' size and frame at 23 he will get thicker and throw harder. I think that with maturity, opportunity, and experience he could develop into a solid #3 starter.
If you are right, then the Mariners are certain to trade him first.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
That doesn't happen very often just ask my wife. However, I was right on Puig before he took Hollywood by storm and I feel just as strongly about Pederson.

Last edited by 71buc; 12-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Not at all surprised that Cano went to the highest bidder given he's Jay-z's first high profile client but personally I think Cano was misled a bit that is assuming he wanted to stay with the yanks if the money was close. The way I see it Cano essentially left the comfort of the NY area, his teammates and friends, and a much better chance to win championships for less than a 3.5 million dollar difference per year. If you assume the yanks offer was 175 for seven years I would think he would still have some earnings power at the expiration of that contract for the next 3 yrs lets say 24 mil total which would get him to 199 total for 10 yrs in ny. Now assume his federal tax rate is a blended 36 pct plus ny tax of 6 pct so .42 total taxin ny (disregard FICA because its only on the first 100k). In Seattle he only pays state inc tax on away games in states with income tax so say its 1/4 of what he pays in ny or 1.5pct his fed is still 36 so 37.5 pct total rate in Seattle. So yearly take home in Seattle is 240/10=24. 24*(1-.375)=15 mill after tax. In ny 199/10 19.9* (1-.42)=11.54 mil in ny. To me that's not a large enough diff in take home especially when you are at such high numbers to force a move and the 24 for 3 yrs could be conservative. Seattle over NY for only a 29 pct diff in take home pay at best, doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 12-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Not at all surprised that Cano went to the highest bidder given he's Jay-z's first high profile client but personally I think Cano was misled a bit that is assuming he wanted to stay with the yanks if the money was close. The way I see it Cano essentially left the comfort of the NY area, his teammates and friends, and a much better chance to win championships for less than a 3.5 million dollar difference per year. If you assume the yanks offer was 175 for seven years I would think he would still have some earnings power at the expiration of that contract for the next 3 yrs lets say 24 mil total which would get him to 199 total for 10 yrs in ny. Now assume his federal tax rate is a blended 36 pct plus ny tax of 6 pct so .42 total taxin ny (disregard FICA because its only on the first 100k). In Seattle he only pays state inc tax on away games in states with income tax so say its 1/4 of what he pays in ny or 1.5pct his fed is still 36 so 37.5 pct total rate in Seattle. So yearly take home in Seattle is 240/10=24. 24*(1-.375)=15 mill after tax. In ny 199/10 19.9* (1-.42)=11.54 mil in ny. To me that's not a large enough diff in take home especially when you are at such high numbers to force a move and the 24 for 3 yrs could be conservative. Seattle over NY for only a 29 pct diff in take home pay at best, doesn't do it for me.
I got a cramp reading this How bout them M's!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Could be some sour grapes, but this article still gives some insight into what Wedge, and any other Mariners manager, is having to deal with in Seattle.

I can't see Lloyd McLendon putting up with this crap any better than did Wedge.

Dysfunction in Seattle
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Could be some sour grapes, but this article still gives some insight into what Wedge, and any other Mariners manager, is having to deal with in Seattle.

I can't see Lloyd McLendon putting up with this crap any better than did Wedge.

Dysfunction in Seattle
I read that article this morning. I wish they had waited until after the winter meetings to air that dirty laundry. It certainly doesn't make selling the organization to free agents an easy task.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:58 PM

It seems that free agents, their agents, and everyone in baseball already knew the substance of this, although maybe not the specifics.

For any Seattle baseball fan, USS Mariner is a great site to add to your bookmarks, and here is one writer's (not mine) reaction (I have excerpted a paragraph from this link: http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/12/08...long-exploded/)

"For all of us, this was a difficult article to read. It was powerful and worrying and it’s come at almost the worst possible time. It was difficult for me not because it’s going to change anything. The Mariners didn’t suddenly develop worse leadership. They’re not going to suddenly have a more negative perception around baseball. It was difficult for me because it supports the worst feelings I’ve had about the organization for what feels like a handful of years. The message is that the way things are is about as bad as people have feared. People around the Mariners already knew that. People elsewhere in baseball already knew that. Now the people in Seattle can know that. The team’s going to bring in a lot of new talent, but are these the people we trust to make that happen in a responsible, intelligent way? For a while, we’ve been cynical. Now it’s been laid out for us why we’re not wrong."
Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks for that post. I'm surprised the author felt that people in Seattle weren't aware of the problems with upper management. We have been aware, but we are also hopeful.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Well looks like we may have both been right they did trade Capps. Morrison is not Billy Butler but who knows that may still happen. I am thrilled that I got the Corey Hart signing right maybe that means Jock Pederson is on his way as well? I am a bit frightened that Jack Z and I seem to see things the same way. Perhaps I am not as good at this GM stuff as I thought?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I am thrilled that I got the Corey Hart signing right maybe that means Jock Pederson is on his way as well? I am a bit frightened that Jack Z and I seem to see things the same way. Perhaps I am not as good at this GM stuff as I thought?
Mike, I thought about your prediction when I read that we had gotten Corey Hart, and that he would probably split time at 1B - that was a great call on your part.

Jack Z may have someone telling him what to do - perhaps his bosses are paying someone with actual baseball knowledge and Jack Z is now just a puppet?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:03 PM

I was surprised that the author of the blog post thought people in Seattle were unaware, too.

I like the Corey Hart move. However, I'm not sure if there is really a role for Logan Morrison. He seems a lot like Smoak...there was/is potential, but it is still potential and they aren't truly young anymore. Hopefully the Ms aren't considering putting Morrison in the outfield, since he can't really play there at this point.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Mike, I thought about your prediction when I read that we had gotten Corey Hart, and that he would probably split time at 1B - that was a great call on your part.

Jack Z may have someone telling him what to do - perhaps his bosses are paying someone with actual baseball knowledge and Jack Z is now just a puppet?
Scott would love to attend a game with you next season pick one and the tickets are on me. Hopefully they will put a product on the field that is entertaining. It sure has been awhile.

Last edited by 71buc; 12-14-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott would love to attend a game with you next season pick one and the tickets are on me. Hopefully they will put a product on the field that is entertaining. It sure has been awhile.
Looking forward to it!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...