NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting Old Judge Baseball Cards

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

I'm seriosely considering starting a collection of OJ cards. As a newbie to this sphere of collecting I would like to ask a few questions:
1. What is a fair price for low grade "Commons" i.e. cards grading SGC "AUTHENTIC, SGC 10 & SGC 20?
2. What is the best way to spot altered, reprinted & counterfeited cards?
3. What are the most valuable/desirable cards - how much do they sell for in the above mentioned grades?
4. Any recommended reference books on this series of cards.
I plan to do my homework and become at least semi-knowledgeable above these cards before I start buying them.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In my opinion, one of the first choices is to determine if the cards actually have to be gradable. There are a great many OJs which have had the cigarette advertisement removed a long time ago, and represent a very cost effective option which can yield a very attractive authentic card which both will not grade and are therefore available rather inexpensively.

Some other sets are quite collectable with less than 100% of the original card offered. Wheaties, Zeenuts, George C. Millers immediately come to mind.

Of course, this decision can be made on a card by card basis, rather than a general philosophy.

As far as reference material, fortunately there are great resources available, but there is still much not understood. The threads on this forum contain much information and insight on this issue. A recent Old Carboard issue contained great information on how these cards were actually made, and some of the resultant considerations, and of course, Lew Lipsett's Encyclopedia is the foundation of understanding of this set.

Reprints and other phoneys are easy to spot since OJs are actual photos. As such, they do not have a dot pattern under magnification. For elaboration on this, please see Cycleback's publication, available for $20. or so - and a bargain.

Have fun!

Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

Thanks for the reply. I don't plan to have raw cards I buy graded, I just used the SGC grades to let everyone know the grade level I was interested in. Altered & Authentic cards would be acceptabe - but I would like to know that they are in that condition. Just learning at this point.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

Before you buy anything, go buy the first volume of Lew Lipset's Baseball Card Encyclopedia. This is the volume that deals with 19th century and has a large chapter on N172s. Granted it was done more than 20 years ago and some of it is our of date, it is still one of the best sources of information on the set. Also, Joe G. and Jay Miller wrote a great article on the set in a past Old Cardboard issue. I'd try to get a copy of that (I can't recall the issue number), and subscribe to the magazine if you haven't already.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Gil is correct. Reprints are easy to identify as they have dot pattern under maginfication. The real Old Judges have no dot pattern, as they're photographs not ink and printing press prints.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Start with California League players... Just joking.
JimB