NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default T206 backs....which is hardest to find in high grades?

Posted By: Dave

As far as some of the rare backs, I can't comment...Broadleaf, Carolina Brights, Uzit, etc.....but from what I've noticed, Polar Bear backs seem to me to be about the hardest to find in high grades. I'm assuming because it was cards stuck in with scrap tobacco and thus so many of the cards are stained. Curious as to how others feel about this? I have two Polar bear backs, one is a PSA 2 and the other a 3, both I think would have been a grade or two higher if not for the stains.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Dave,
You're right, Polar Bear was the only scrap tobacco which included T206's, so many of the cards due contain stains. However, I believe more than one card was packaged into each pack, and repots indicate that as many as 4-5 were included sometimes. Therefore, it's possible to find one of the middle cards in nicer condition, and without the normal staining.
Overall I would agree that they are tougher to find in ex or better, and the pop reports on Demmitt and O'Hara are very low above 4, which tends to support the contention.

Be well Brian

Old 12-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Wasn't Drum a loose tobacco too? Very few high grades of them but not the tobacco stains like the Polar Bear ones (same as on the t205's too).....regards

Old 12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

well, there was a similar thread going that i started about Drums...here is what i think...

Ty Cobb- good luck

Broad Leaf 460- good luck

Drum- extremely tuff to find in 3's or higher

Uzit- very tuff to find in 3's or higher

***THE ABOVE CATEGORY IS USUALLY LOW GRADE, BECAUSE OF THE SCARCITY, THEY HAVE BEEN "HANDLED" MORE OVER THE YEARS, MUCH LIKE OUR FRIEND HONUS WAGNER...

Lenox- pretty tuff to find in 3's or higher

Red Hindu- i have not seen high grade examples

Broad Leaf 350- i have not seen high grade examples

Carolina Brights- i have not seen high grade examples

Hindu- i have not seen high grade examples

Polar Bear- very tuff to find in 5's or higher (yes dave, you are correct, because they were thrown in with scrap tobacco)

American Beauty- pretty tuff to find in higher grade, i have seen some 7's & one 8.

Old Mill- Southern League- i just acquired an 8, but still pretty tuff in higher grade

Tolstoi- i don't see these too often in high grade

EPDG- i don't see these too often in high grade

Sovereign- no sweat

Old Mill- no sweat, used to own an 8

Cycle- no sweat, used to own an 8

Sweet Caporal- no sweat, i own an 8

Piedmont- no sweat, i own an 8

P.S. as i am working on upgrading my entire back collection, i just bought a polar bear PSA 5 on eBay for about $170...i missed a PSA 6 a few weeks ago, i forgot to put a bid in, it ended at $270, which was a steal IMO...

Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

Do you remember which PSA 6 Polar bear it was on ebay? That does sound like quite a deal.

Edited to say....I won't even begin the conversation on trying to remove the tobacco stains....lol

Old 12-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Leon,
Drum was originally sold as a loose tobacco brand, but was purchased by the ATC and converted to a discount Cigarette brand during the 1909-1912 period. After the break up of the ATC, it was purchased by a British Co. and re-introduced as a loose Tobacco brand, and it still is today.

Hi Michael,

I have the following High Grade rare backs:

1 PSA 7 Red Hindu
3 PSA 6 Carolina Brights
4 PSA/SGC 7 American Beauty's
1 PSA 6 Uzit
2 PSA 7 SL Hindu's
6 PSA 6 SL Hindu's
3 PSA 5 Lenox
1 SGC 7.5 Piedmont 42
3 PSA Broad Leaf's
4 PSA 6 ELPD
8 Old Mill 7's and 8's some sl's

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

Brian-

wow, very impressive, are you looking to sell any?

MVS

p.s. Dave- i do not remember which PSA 6 polar bear sold...