NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Hi Ben,

I sure did. Here is the photo Graig is going to paint for me-
Johnny Vander Meer 1938.
VERY COOL Scott!

This picture of Vander Meer will be spectacular... call Graig weird but I bet the light on the foot makes him smile in a very odd way.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 PM

Default Busy Weekend - First 2012 P/U's

Action weekend for hunting sports antiques...I went to a paper show in Golden Gate Park yesterday in S.F. held at the Hall of Flowers...I didn't get there till about an hour and forty five before they closed. They hold that show twice a year I believe it is...Over the years I've gone to it and found practically nothing...then again I've gone to it and scored big...see this link for an epic c1914 All Vallejos vs Yosemites of San Francisco football broadside I picked up there in 2010....

Anyway..I missed the last show...and was determined to make it to this one. I wasn't in the mood to spend much money after the golf clock I just got so what ever I found had to be eBay flip-able or too good to pass up...bingo...

http://www.allalaskasweepstakes.org/History.html
I picked up something I'm wild over and is guaranteed to test the limits of this boards "all sports inclusive policy" LOL...Dog Sled Racing!!!!! I spotted this photo below within the first twenty minutes and it was love at first bite..I mean site. 31 1/2” x 13” 1908 photo from Nome Alaska of an early dog sled race team...titled: ”BERGER’S RACE TEAM – FIRST ANNUAL ALL ALASKA SWEEPSTAKE”, see link above to All Alaska Sweepstakes website. From a cursory review I believe this team won the Sweepstakes in 1909..where as my photo is marked 1908...It will be fun to research this. I took the photo of it last night on the fly in my trunk as leaving the show...yeah has some damage....but find another...it'll frame up nice

c1908, 31 1/2” x 13”
Photobucket

http://beercanhistory.com/regal.htm
So then today I hit the Sacramento Antiques Fair...I had finished two combs and was about to leave for church, but would have been early so decided to take one more quick run thru...and there it was....the dealer didn't have it out earlier...a late 1950's/early 60's advertising sign for Regal Pale. It wasn't cheap but I couldn't leave without it. Funny thing...we were talking and the dealer said he'd gotten it at Alameda last week...He said it was about 6:00AM and a guy was unloading a whole collection of Regal Pale stuff and people were surrounding the guy like sharks and buying up everything...said this was the only sports sign and he got it and he had to pay money for it....So essentially it hasn't been out for sale too long...today or last week! I found out a lot about Regal Pale in a page linked above. It's really late for me to collect but I couldn't resist it's size and impact...As I mulled it over I concluded I can'tever recall seeing any advertising signs with boxing graphics of it's quality...

31 3/4" x 20 1/2"
Photobucket

Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
VERY COOL Scott!

This picture of Vander Meer will be spectacular... call Graig weird but I bet the light on the foot makes him smile in a very odd way.
I like the leather re-enforcement on the toe of the cleat (where Vandy's foot would push off the rubber). But even better is the apparent "tipped finger" glove. I was aware of very early gloves like this from the 1800s, but don't think I've ever seen a 1940s tipped finger model.

Hoping one of the glove guys can shed some light on what maker/model of glove this might be...

Last edited by perezfan; 01-08-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
William Peebles

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I like the leather re-enforcement on the toe of the cleat (where Vandy's foot would push off the rubber). But even better is the apparent "tipped finger" glove. I was aware of very early gloves like this from the 1800s, but don't think I've ever seen a 1940s tipped finger model.

Hoping one of the glove guys can shed some light on what maker/model of glove this might be...
The finger tips on Vandy's glove are actually seams that were placed along the knuckles to give the fingers of the glove more of a natural curvature. They're not actually capped like a 19th century catcher's glove would be. By the looks of it, he's probably wearing a glove made by Spalding or one of its sub-brands.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Thanks William... very interesting about the curvature.

From the photo, it looks like the leather is darker above those seams (towards the finger tips), making them appear "capped". Guess it's just an illusion.

I'm sure that Graig appreciates this unnecessary over-analysis. Probably making him uneasy about painting this one... sorry!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Last night I picked up 11 signed baseball magazines in a large ebay auction. None of them were vintage although some were 1950's and 60's, and all but one were Yankees themed, but the one that wasn't was one I've been looking for the last 7 years. A nicely signed 1973 Sporting News signed by Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, and Ken Holtzman. I've only seen one other and it had some really bad sigs on them (think CC), so I'm really jazzed!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunterblueholtzman1.jpg (66.3 KB, 316 views)
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Last night I picked up 11 signed baseball magazines in a large ebay auction. None of them were vintage although some were 1950's and 60's, and all but one were Yankees themed, but the one that wasn't was one I've been looking for the last 7 years. A nicely signed 1973 Sporting News signed by Catfish Hunter, Vida Blue, and Ken Holtzman. I've only seen one other and it had some really bad sigs on them (think CC), so I'm really jazzed!!
Congrats Mike, that's very cool, seven years worth...I'd frame it or encapsulate it or something...that newspaper stock is especially subject to deterioration...but what ever you do enjoy it..and in my opinion display it for everyone to appreciate....What's Catfish Hunter doing these days?

Old 01-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonhendricks View Post
what's catfish hunter doing these days?
dead
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Scott

That is AWESOME that you are getting that photo made into a painting. I am excited to see the finished product, it is a great image that really seems to capture Depression era baseball in all aspects!

Rhys
Old 01-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonhendricks
what's catfish hunter doing these days?

dead
Yes indeed Catfish passed on in 1999 from a fall brought on from complications from Lou Gehrig's disease. Catfish was one of my all time favorite players.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Yes indeed Catfish passed on in 1999 from a fall brought on from complications from Lou Gehrig's disease. Catfish was one of my all time favorite players.
Well I guess that explains why I haven't seen him around

Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Haley Joel Osment does.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Got this on ebay last week, any chance that is Mickey Cochrane?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (68.2 KB, 335 views)
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Dan Bretta

Yep..that's Mickey Cochrane...and that's Barney McCoskey standing right next to him. Nice pickup.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Phil Garry

Agreed, Dan, that's Mickey.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 01-10-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Yep..that's Mickey Cochrane...and that's Barney McCoskey standing right next to him. Nice pickup.
The Ebay seller said it is from 1935 based on the model of Ford, which if so is 4 years before McCoskey made the majors.

The Ford V-8 team played against a local team from Traverse City, Michigan
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm 100% convinced that is Barney McCoskey...almost all the rest of those guys were minor leaguers in the mid 1930s...mostly from the Mid Atlantic and Piedmont Leagues.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:28 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

My newest Gehrig.
1938 in California shooting promo shots.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Sean Brennan

a couple of upgrades to my signed 1933 Goudey set :

IMG953465.jpg

IMG955420.jpg
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Sean,
Those are beautys!
Congrats.
Mark

Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Al

Default pick up

Well as Jimmy and I always think alike I was able to work a nice deal on 4 Gehrigs. First from 1928,second from 1936 Thirdfrom 1938 and the fourth from 1935. The 1938 photo has a nice caption but hard to read "Lou Gehrig
veterian new york yankee first baseman who will see action with the american league champions in the coming world series. Dated 9/26/38 This would be Lous last world series as he finished 4 for 14 with 4 singles in the series. A sad time for all yankee fans.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 PM

Wow. That 1928 shot is a beauty!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Wow. That 1928 shot is a beauty!
It is fantastic! GREAT PICKUPS AL!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Al

Default pick ups

David, Ben,
Thankyou I also liked the 28 photo. A very powerful look on Lou. Starting to get very hard to find these type of photos. I know Jimmy can concur with me!
Ben + David you both have such great collections I always love seeing them David esp. that Babe Ruth Ball ! You know the one I mean!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:37 AM

WoW! Al Congrats!

Geez Al, what an incredible haul you made there. My head is still spinning! Well, what's good about you getting them as opposed to Ben or David, is that I may still have a chance to trade for one of them someday!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Al

Default pick ups

Thanks Jimmy my friend ! But I think you forgot about one other Graig might be in the mix also! for a picture on one of them. I will let you guess which one!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Graig Kreindler

Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Sean Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Sean,
Those are beautys!
Congrats.
Mark

thanks mark! finally got lucky
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Al

Default pickup

Just a quick question as I was re scaning the 1928 photo for someone I scaned the back also and just noticed that it looked to me that the photo was a 1927 with a 8 put over the 7. Not that it matters to me either way as I love the photo but I was also told that the uniform is from 1927. You can see that the pencil change was done from the original writer. Wanted some input on the uniform being 1927.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 09-11-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Mike H.

Default New Tigers pennant

Picked this up in an antique mall today. I've not seen this style before. The felt feels 50s, but it could be 60s. Pre 1969 for sure (no mlb logo).
Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Ruth's Base Ball Game

One of my main focus areas is baseball board games - and skill games are part of it.

I picked this one up last week - and I'm amazed what the difference a week makes.

I saw one in Yee's auction - saved it - but found it out of my price range almost immediately - game collectors just won't pay big bucks for these.

It's probably from the late 30s - 40s and the one I picked up is in nice shape!

I paid $46 for this one - the one in Yee's auction went for a whopping $186! I'm guessing two guys wanted it really bad - not sure why otherwise - I'm sure the allusion to "Babe" may have been the reason? Sure was a sneaky way to evoke interest in a toy without paying a penny to Ruth? If this game actually said "Babe" on it? Who knows what it would've brought in Yee's auction.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Kevin

Default 1950-51 Adirondack Bat Flyer with Thomson, Doby, Pricelist

It hardly seems worth posting after the tremendous items thus far, but I picked up this small Adirondack Bat Factory piece when I stopped for a little rest this afternoon. I love that Larry Doby was already part of their signature group by this point and that Bobby Thomson is also on the cover (didn't he do something important with a bat in 1951?) I wonder if I can still get a dozen Larry Doby bats for $18.90? And I'll take one of the Joe Garagiola sticks as long as it doesn't tell Me and Yogi stories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Adirondack front cover.jpg (79.4 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg 1951 Adirondack baseball bats.jpg (77.0 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg 1951 Adirondack back cover.jpg (76.0 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg 1950 Adirondack price list.jpg (73.0 KB, 421 views)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Doug Goodman

Default M113 - Reds

The Standard Catalog lists this as a 1914 issue, but based on the players listed on the supplement, I believe the photo was taken in March of 1915.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBM-Teams-Reds-1915.jpg (77.6 KB, 416 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Phil Garry

Is Roush on there, Doug?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM

Default A's hurlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Congrats Mike, that's very cool, seven years worth...I'd frame it or encapsulate it or something...that newspaper stock is especially subject to deterioration...but what ever you do enjoy it..and in my opinion display it for everyone to appreciate....What's Catfish Hunter doing these days?
Mike,

Great pickup! Ken Holtzman has really become a non-signer over the last decade, BTW.
Congrats!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Well as Jimmy and I always think alike I was able to work a nice deal on 4 Gehrigs. First from 1928,second from 1936 Thirdfrom 1938 and the fourth from 1935. The 1938 photo has a nice caption but hard to read "Lou Gehrig
veterian new york yankee first baseman who will see action with the american league champions in the coming world series. Dated 9/26/38 This would be Lous last world series as he finished 4 for 14 with 4 singles in the series. A sad time for all yankee fans.
Awesome Gehrig photos!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
My newest Gehrig.
1938 in California shooting promo shots.

Another awesome photo!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
Scott

That is AWESOME that you are getting that photo made into a painting. I am excited to see the finished product, it is a great image that really seems to capture Depression era baseball in all aspects!

Rhys
Absolutely, Rhys! I had been looking for the perfect image of 1938 Vandy for Graig to paint for me. This one ended up being the Lotto winner!

Thanks for finding it for me!

Scott

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-13-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started my year off with a bang as well(2 purchases). I picked up a nice TYPE 1 CHARLES CONLON BABE RUTH PHOTO as a companion piece to go along with my ORIGINAL KREINDLER OIL PAINTING that I will be receiving shortly.

Only our own beloved, Graig Kreindler could force a "Masterpiece" by the Legendary Charles Conlon into the role of a "Companion Piece" Atta Boy Brutha! And Ben, way to go in pulling the trigger for one of Conlon's all-time finest images!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Is Roush on there, Doug?
No. Roush doesn't get to Cincy until better than a year later.

In order from left to right, starting with the top row :

Rapp
Trombley
Wagner
Killifer
Wingo
Dooin
Brown
Benton
Gonzales
Ames
Clark
Olson
Herzog
Douglas
Mollwitz
Dale
Schneider
Lear
Von Kolwitz
Griffith
Groh
Fittery
Leach

Last edited by doug.goodman; 01-13-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just posting these photos makes me realize I really need to narrow my focus. Anyway, here is the January stuff...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan1.jpg (22.4 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Jan3.jpg (76.1 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg RedsIndian.jpg (9.0 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg Jan5.jpg (64.2 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg Jan6.jpg (72.0 KB, 388 views)
Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Default nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Only our own beloved, Graig Kreindler could force a "Masterpiece" by the Legendary Charles Conlon into the role of a "Companion Piece" Atta Boy Brutha! And Ben, way to go in pulling the trigger for one of Conlon's all-time finest images!
Wow nice painting...will look great in your penthouse Jimmy...what are the dimensions?..very classy

Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Al

Default pickup

Carlton,
Jimmy didnt buy the painting,I believe Ben (forever young) did.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Carlton,
Jimmy didnt buy the painting,I believe Ben (forever young) did.
Yeah well...it's about time Jimmy started sharing the wealth...:-)..whoever got it it's very nice!...my mistake

Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default A Really Good Day

So I went into the basement to look some of y stuff which I haven't looked at in probably 10yrs because it's all in boxes right now. We never got around to finishing the basement, AKA my future Collection display space, so I never had a place to hang/organize it. Well this year, we're finally gonna do it and so I went fishing and did pretty well. Normally I wouldn't post what I found here that I already owned, but figuring it had been so long I forgot about them, I figured it was like getting them all over again.

1930s original Carl Hubbell. Could be a rookie shot with a vintage signature

Spring 1955 Invitation from Leo Durocher and Laraine Day to their house for a party to celebrate 1954 NY Giant WS victory.
Also autographed by Ima Rooter, Killy Umpire, Trow D Bumout, and Sek N Guesser.

1930s Type 1 with Dickey autographed

Not a Type 1 photo, but original autographs.

1936 WS. Dick Bartell scoring with Lou and Dickey watching. Dickey autographed. I found I have 2 copies of the same pic. Tags are slightly different.

1936 NY Yankees infield Type 1. Oversize photo 8x12

1938 Type 1 Studio portrait. Printed on a thiker matte type paper. Almost like art paper.

1939 Type 1 Lou dictating to his wife

1940 Type 1 Lou sitting at his parole desk.

But wait there's more in the next post

Last edited by Lordstan; 01-13-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Default A really good day part 2

Late 1930s original Studio portrait of Lou.

1940 Type 1 of Lou walking in his parole office

1942 Original photo from Pride of the Yankees showing the locker room with Ruth.

So it was a really great night. I even found more, but was too tired to scan and post them all.

Hope you all enjoy.
Mark

Last edited by Lordstan; 01-13-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Well as Jimmy and I always think alike I was able to work a nice deal on 4 Gehrigs. the fourth from 1935.
Actually Al, I think the fourth is from a group of pics taken before the 1936 WS. Keep an eye out for the secong in that group showing the end of his swing.
The grouping includes 2 double pics of Lou's swing, 2 double pics of Mel Ott's swing, and Dual pics of Lou and Mel Shaking hands(there are a couple different)

Here are a couple of mine from that group.
Lou's full swing
I've got to get them out of the frame to scan the backs sometime.

Lou and Mel. Bought it slabbed.

The other Lou and Mel together is where they are shaking hands. I think it was used for the cover of 1937 Best Slugger book.

Those pics are beautiful! Great job.
If Jimmy doesn't get them, LMK if you ever want to get rid of the other Gehrigs.

Ben,
That Ruth is a tremendous pic as well, but I like the painting even more. I am partial to Kreindlercolor.

Jimmy,
Classic Gehrig swinging shot. I am sure there are lots of companion pieces for that picture. Happy Hunting!

Best,
Mark

Last edited by Lordstan; 01-13-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
So I went into the basement...

Spring 1955 Invitation from Leo Durocher and Lorraine Day to their house for a party to celebrate 1954 NY Giant WS victory.
Also autographed by Ima Rooter, Killy Umpire, Trow D Bumout, and Sec N Guesser.
That invite is fantastic. If you ever run out of room and it needs a new home, let me know.

Doug
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Thanks Doug.
I love Gehrig stuff, but I have to say that was the coolest thing I found tonight.
I'll keep you in mind.
Mark

Old 01-14-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Wow nice painting...will look great in your penthouse Jimmy...what are the dimensions?..very classy
Correction Carlton. I live in an "outhouse" in a penthouse.