NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Patrick N.

Default One exciting thing about pre-war is...

That there are a ton of people that have no clue about how to price them them (myself included ) Whereas with post-war, there are various price guides/eBay listings plus a more established history of what they go for...

For example, I was at the flea market the other day and a guy was selling cards, he was dead-sharp on knowing prices for post-war (actually way too high--he wanted like $10 for a VGEX '69 Marichal) but when it came to pre-war he had a flat price on everything $35 for any T206 (all ranged from GD-VGEX) and $75 for any HOFer (Chance--or was it Evers?, Clarke, and some three-fingered guy...).

He also had NO CLUE about backs. I asked "Do you have any drum backs?" and he thought "Drumback" was a certain card/brand, i.e. he didn't realize the T206s could be worth much more if a different back. Unfortunately, he only had Piedmonts, Sweet Caps, Polars, and Honest...

Anyway, I guess the point of my thread is to say that there is a lot more misunderstanding/lack of information with prewar stuff than postwar, and that makes it even more intriquing...Oh well, that is the point of my thread, any comments would be appreciated...

Last edited by mintacular; 05-16-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Pricing of memorabilia is similar
Old 05-17-2010, 06:38 AM

Just like modern cards this will soon change as for many it is just about the money.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default what did he have?

Mintacular- So what did the guy have, anything good? I would think $75 for HOF'ers might not have been a bad start, depending on condition. Information is a key to success. He/she who has more of it will have a better chance of doing well. Post war has always been so "common" to me. It interested me when I first started collecting then when I found pre-war it was all over...... (well, actually it had just started). Nice topic....
Old 05-17-2010, 08:04 AM
Patrick N.

Default What he had

Your absolutely right about the "knowledge" thing, which is why I didn't plunk down any $....I find the best way to learn about a set is to start building one. I've been builidng a few post-war sets recently and am getting pretty sharp on pegging the right price on cards which is quite exciting to know more than the next guy. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to build a T206 so my knife is pretty dull, although hanging around here has atleast given me a clue albeit a small one on pre-war stuff...

None of them jumped out as high grade or else I would've rolled the dice. However, they weren't hammered either. The backs were pretty clean with no paper loss and nice clean print (They were definately authentic). I remember a T205 Chance T206 Clarke T206 Evers or Chance? and some A.L. NY Pitcher. At one point I told him that I usually pay $10-20/ea. on low grade T206s and he picked out 5 or so that had an issue but weren't thrashed and offered me 5 for $60 but I passed...

I think he sets up every week so I might go back and pay attention more to what exactly he has. Unfortunately I had my own table set up and couldn't dilly dally. I probably opened my mouth a bit too much when I started asking about backs...I mentioned Hindu and he said he used to have some of those.

I also saw a guy that had some Felts/Blankets (?) about 5 of them hand-cut in a display but I didn't recognize names, plus wasn't 100% sure of authenticity. He wanted $100 for all of them. I couldn't believe how many card guys there were on this weekend, it might have something to do with the upcoming RMU show.

Last edited by mintacular; 05-17-2010 at 08:12 AM.