NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2013, 05:49 AM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMiller25 View Post
It's interesting to me that these scams always seem to involve PSA graded cards/ holders. Hypothetically If your were PSA and were supposedly the biggest TPG out there, wouldn't you address the fact that your holder is easily breached, etc?

It's not hard to tell when a SGC holder has been cracked open, and frankly Beckett holders are damn near bomb proof and are destroyed when/if the holder is cracked.

I own many high end cards in PSA holders, and would frankly be a bit more at peace with their product if I wasn't left wondering if my cards might be fake, etc...
I had similar thoughts reading through this thread. It seems like the fake PSA holder scam has been going on for at least 6 years - starting on Craigslist if I recall correctly. It's somewhat comforting to know that federal law enforcement is now involved, yet one has to wonder how many bad slabs are out there (quite a few I suspect over that length of time) and why wasn't PSA more proactive in improving their product? I know there were CU threads about this problem and of course they would be instantly deleted. PSA once used a hologram and some decoder gimmick - both of which were discontinued - but nothing really that "packs a punch" in addressing the problem.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 AM
And.rew C0rs0

What is the story about the photo of the guy holding the graded slab with a Cookie Monster picture inside and the Cops mugshot in the background? I have seen reference to this on multiple threads but no context. What is this story there?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
What is the story about the photo of the guy holding the graded slab with a Cookie Monster picture inside and the Cops mugshot in the background? I have seen reference to this on multiple threads but no context. What is this story there?
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=andrew
Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&

Quote:
I've been wondering the same thing.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz24 View Post
I've been wondering the same thing.
Basically another (former) Net54 member claimed he owned the famous T206 Nun’s Wagner and offered it for sale here on the boards not knowing its provenance. He was busted rather quickly, but stuck to his story. He offered “proof” that he owned the card by taking a picture with it. The pic was clearly photoshopped. Then the thread was spoofed by other members posting the same pic, but with him holding other famous items/memorabilia. He stuck with his story until the very end, never admitting he made the whole thing up. He was banned.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Thanks for the quick responses on the Nun Wagner / Cookie Monster card guy. I love the fact that he has dirty socks on the floor and lots of lotion on his dresser.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 AM
Tony Davis

Quote:
and lots of lotion on his dresser.
The life of a baseball card collector is a lonely one !
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Don't forget, the sock on the floor is classic when you're holding The Wagner.
The photo has been passed around and PShopped more than your answer here

Last edited by Paul S; 05-31-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses on the Nun Wagner / Cookie Monster card guy. I love the fact that he has dirty socks on the floor and lots of lotion on his dresser.
It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Bill Gregory

I just finished reading this whole thread, and my head is spinning.

I hope this guy ends up in a cell with a substantial man named Rufus.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Richard L.

Rufus or his toothless cousin with the tattooed eyeballs, Ben Dover
Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I just received a PM from another board member that analyzed the card he bought from these scammers. It is 100% altered. It looks like a large percentage are going to be altered. I believe he has opened a paypal dispute too. To anyone that bought a card from them be advised it could be altered and act quickly. That might be the only chance to recoup monies.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I just received a PM from another board member that analyzed the card he bought from these scammers. It is 100% altered. It looks like a large percentage are going to be altered. I believe he has opened a paypal dispute too. To anyone that bought a card from them be advised it could be altered and act quickly. That might be the only chance to recoup monies.
Leon, you deserve a day off from this.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Leon, you deserve a day off from this.
Thanks....I am very protective of our board. Once I know no one has been totally scammed I will leave it be. What ya'll see on the board is only a little bit of what is going on, there is some more behind the scenes.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Mike

I say we chip in and pay this guy's bail.....and meet him at the gate.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 05-31-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks....I am very protective of our board. Once I know no one has been totally scammed I will leave it be. What ya'll see on the board is only a little bit of what is going on, there is some more behind the scenes.
I know you are, Leon, and believe, I greatly appreciate it. I've run a few forums in my day, and I know the amount of work behind the scenes (just parsing and backing up the database, keeping the php software up to date, etc) can add up on an active forum. With this being added to the mix, I can only imagine how much running around you're doing at the moment (physically and virtually).

Once I get a little more savings built up, I'm going to be buying some nice vintage cards at auction, on Ebay, and from our B/S/T board here (It just takes a while longer being on disability). I will do my due diligence, of course, but I feel better knowing that you are watching out for the safety of your members. And when there's trouble, the other members speak out. They police the hobby, so to speak. They bring suspicious auctions or members to the attention of everybody here. In doing so, they are also educating me. I'm learning what things I should be looking for. And when that is combined with what you're doing, it makes me feel much more confident about transacting here on the board.

At some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future, when I am able to get a round a little better, I'm going to go to one of the shows you guys put on. I would love to meet you and some of the other members. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. I'll just try not to drool!

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-31-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
On the urging of a fellow board member...I just attempted to open a dispute with paypal...but it appears as I am screwed as the invoice Den sent me was for an instant transfer...not goods and/or services...and apparently this cannot be disputed.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse?

Still waiting for response from SGC BTW!?
you should always pay with a credit card. paypal succumbs to them.

pay with a credit card, if you have a problem open your case with the credit card company. once you open the claim with paypal, you lose some of the power from the credit card company.

the credit card company will instantly credit you the money, then ask questions later. that is what you get for the 6 to 22 percent interest they charge on unpaid balances. they take the fraud hit on them, instead of leaving it on you. don't be fooled, if you pay with a bank card and the transaction is put through as a debit, then you have way less power in the dispute, then if it is put through as a cc transaction on the card.

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 06-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

hi,

my concern is about how fast cards move through some peoples hands. people buy to sell and then flip cards. its one thing to not deal with this guy but how do you know the cards you have are good.

what is the concrete way to tell if you have a card in one of these fake cases and flips. can someone really dive into the details and post a clear example of how to to indentify them?

kevin
Old 06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
hi,

my concern is about how fast cards move through some peoples hands. people buy to sell and then flip cards. its one thing to not deal with this guy but how do you know the cards you have are good.

what is the concrete way to tell if you have a card in one of these fake cases and flips. can someone really dive into the details and post a clear example of how to to indentify them?

kevin
Good question Kevin I recommend you start a thread about that very topic.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Banned

Leon.... if one wanted to contact the individual that you are talking to, how might one do so?

-Aaron smith
Old 06-09-2013, 02:57 PM
jason wilson

Just read through this whole thread. wow. I believe I talked with one of his pawns out of San Diego about a month ago on the phone. He wanted to trade a graded Cobb for one of my cards. Was a bit fishy as his card was worth about $3K more than mine. He never called back after I asked him about 30 questions and said I would require his card to go through a review at PSA first.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Any new information about this case?