NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Urgent: I have a scam e-mail

Posted By: Chad

Hey folks. I was an underbidder on the Toleteros Leon Day auction that finishes this morning. I just received an e-mail saying that the high bidder can't pay for the card and that I can have it at a 10% discount. The problem is, I know the seller's name is Jon and I actually know the high bidder--we correspond about Latin cards all the time--and there's no way in hell he doesn't have the money. It's obvious to me something underhanded is going on. What should I do about this? I;ve already e-mailed the winning bidder, but, like I said, I already know he's going to tell me it's BS.

--Chad

Old 06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Report it to ebay, sounds like someone has hijacked the seller's account.

Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Texas Ted

The seller's account has not necessarily been hijacked. This is called a phishing attempt to get you to send vital information, or money as a scam. They make up emails, and even websites to look like legitimate parts of ebay, but they are not. Go to ebay's safety area and read about it, and forward the email you got to spoof@ebay.com and they will tell you for sure.

Texas Ted

Old 06-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info.

--Chad

Old 06-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck R

I got the exact same message yesterday regarding a very expensive 30's wrapper that I was an underbidder on a couple of weeks ago. Same stuff: "high bidder couldn't come up with the money,etc". Funny thing was that I had just finished talking to the high bidder and he was telling me that he had received the wrapper and how much he liked it. I have to admit that it was one of the best fake eBay emails I've seen, though.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Administrator

They're going to look into it. Ah well. I know I've mentioned this before, but I can't wait for the National when I can hold these cards in my hand before I buy them.

--Chad

Old 06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Chad, Ebay is just going to confirm what you already know; the email is a phishing scam. The important thing is that you do not click on any link or punch in your name or password. Your ebay account is connected to a lot of financial information. Sometimes these scams ask you to send money, but more often, they are meant to retrieve your credit card and bank information from ebay for possible identity theft.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Chad, there's a problem with your n54 account. I was asked to have you post your credit card information and mother's maiden name here to verify your information.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

I was kind of hoping Ebay would be more proactive and actually try to catch the scammer in the act and then prosecute, but I guess that's asking too much. I'll just delete the e-mail and be more wary in the future. Talk about easy crime, tho. All reward and no risk of prosecution! I'm in the wrong business.

--Chad

Old 06-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave H

I have been getting alot of the same emails over the last few days.