NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Default The Mick,. The Prez and The Captain All On One Card

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

What a card! Jeter
February 27, 2007

AP - Feb 27, 2:04 pm EST
More Photos

NEW YORK (AP) -- Derek Jeter drew quite a crowd for this at-bat -- President Bush waving in the stands, Mickey Mantle studying from the dugout.

Made for a perfect picture on Jeter's new baseball card. Of course, the game never happened.

Instead, this Topps triple play was just someone's idea of a visual gag. It was a card trick -- somebody at the company produced it through digital manipulation.

"We saw it in the final proof and we could have axed it," Topps spokesman Clay Luraschi told The Associated Press on Tuesday. "But we decided to let it run, we wanted to print it. We thought it was hilarious."

The card will be changed when Topps issues a complete set at midseason, Luraschi said.

Jeter said he had not seen the card, which shows him swinging at Yankee Stadium.

"I don't know anything about it," the All-Star shortstop said after New York's workout Tuesday in Tampa, Fla. "I can't tell you anything."

Luraschi did not identify the person at Topps who made the alteration on Jeter's card, No. 40 in the set. Luraschi said that fixing it before it was released would have caused shipping delays.

It's not the first card to have silly errors or odd prints, said T.S. O'Connell, the editor of Sports Collector's Digest.

"For collectors, there's a real giggle factor for something like this," he told the Daily News.

The Daily News put the picture on its front page Tuesday and Newsday also reported the story.

The Jeter card could join other famed oddball cards, like the 1969 Topps of Aurelio Rodriguez. That one featured a photo of a bat boy instead of the infielder.

Another collector said the joke would raise the price of the card, which currently goes for $2 on eBay.

Topps will issue 660 cards in this set, and Luraschi said they were all getting a close look. So are any other strangers showing up?

"Not that I know of," he said

Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Two big baseball card news stories within a few days... If this silliness drags others to the hobby, then this should be welcomed. Our local news reported one sold for $400 yesterday. It's a good thing.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

It's this year's "chase" card for thr kids....however, the grown-ups will buy
up all of them
and the kids will be deprived of their fun.

Anyhow, here is the typical going price on ebay at this window in time....6 months
from now it's value will probably drop to a few $$......

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Topps-Derek-Jeter-RED-BACK-40-w-Mantle-Pres-Bush_W0QQitemZ110097257841QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20876 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I know, why don't we start a third thread about this.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 AM
Administrator

...Somebody's a little cranky this morning

Old 03-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Do you think the 89F Billy Ripken card was intentionally released? I remember people paying $$ for the card.

I'll give Topps credity, at least Topps is telling everyone that the card isn't exactly going to be a rarity. Maybe they're trying to tell people not to spend hundreds on the card. I sure hope the kids get the card, it'll bring a little interest to the hobby for a while. I wonder how much they'll be selling for at the National?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Fred by the time the National comes around they will be back down to $5. I said last night that there were over 1100 active auctions for this card,some with multiple cards in a lot. Now this morning there is over 2700 active auctions yet some people are still paying over $100 for these cards. On day 3 of the frenzy the price has already dropped 50% on these cards. Could you imagine buying a card for $370 yesterday and before you have it in your hands its already dropped in value over $200.

Anyone who pays more than $10 total w/shipping for the card better be buying it for keepsake because they will never get money back.

Compared to the Ripken FF card theres already probably 50x more of these Jeter cards in circulation with a steady stream of them on the way up until June/July when they stop making them

Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

The Jeter card I linked to in my prior post on here ended at $370.....sheer craziness.

And, I agree with you that by the National these cards will be down to less than the
value of a Green & Black piece of paper with Andrew Jackson's face on it.

TED Z

Old 03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...that you would have had to be an idiot to bid over $100 in the first place, the $300 sellers are going to have a hard time collecting on their $300 sales from these idiots.

Unless, of course, Topps is also behind driving up the prices on these auctions. How do we know Topps officials/agents aren't driving up these prices?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

I doubt Topps would be behind all the stupidity because theres just too many of them selling and all to legit bidders,some people buying multiples of them. One guy i saw was paying between 50-200 and he had won 5 different auctions

This card is probably going to be hated in a few years by alot of people who bought them at $50-100 each to save because they will never come close to getting their money back. Its going to be on the level of people paying $90 each for Canseco rookies which now sell for $3 20 years later

Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

This is IMO a calculated stunt to sell more 2007 Topps baseball cards and create a buzz. The same as last years Alex Gordon stunt. Only this year Topps is making sure that anyone who wants a Jeter card can get one.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Guys, I'm lost: isn't this card just a regularly included card in the Topps 2007 factory sealed set? You can buy the whole damn set for $60 upon release. This card isn't an error that will be corrected and replaced, right?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Administrator

I wouldnt doubt it but you also have to think about the reprecussions of this. All these people that are spending big money are now going to have something with no value and they might associate it with Topps which could hurt future sales.

We should take guesses on when this card is back down under $10. Im going to say 10 days from now it will be. As Ted's link showed,it went for $370 at least 3 times i saw.Today i just watched 6 auctions end in 7 minutes and they went for an average price of $98. Now theres 2800+ active auctions going with im sure a ton more on the way,in those 7 minutes even after 6 ending there was 9 more listed than when i first looked,so youre talking 2 a minute being listed

Anyone else wanna guess when the price will consistantly be under $10?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Jeff it is a regular issue card,over 4000 have been listed on ebay in the last 3 days. It will be corrected when they issue complete sets in June/July but until then it will be printed just like any other card in the set

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jeff,

It's just a lot of hype over nothing. Topps says they are going to correct the Jeter card when the factory sets come out. But for the wax packs and other packaging their using the error card will not be corrected. So in effect your going to see millions of the Jeter error printed.

Normally, the print run for factory sets is lower and thus it should be the corrected version that will be worth more. But I wouldn't put it past Topps to increase the factory set press run in order to meet demand this year.

Peter

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I didn't realize Topps was planning on even replacing it.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Topps is in a win/win situation with this card....Nobody paying $300/$400 for this card is going to be able to resist the next big Topps "ERROR" so I don't think they have to be worried about those folks....now the rare version of this is going to be inserted in factory sets so voila - more factory sets are sold.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I hate to sound like a prewar card elitist but who the heck wants a goofy 2007 Topps card of Jeter, the Mick and the Dubbya????
I'll make anyone a deal, send me any PSA 3 or 4 E94 and I'll send you one of these atrocities, even up...

Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

Just Curious, Does anyone else think that might be Reggie Jackson in the Dugout behind Jeter? He's the guy with his arms folded! Maybe???

Life' Grand,
Denny

Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Denny,

It couldn't be Reggie, if it was we would have heard that Mr. October had cornered the market on the Jeter cards by now.

Peter

Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

We are all "elitest" pre-war dudes on this Forum......but, I find this card to be one clever marketing
trick by Topps.

A BB card with a very popular present day player.....a very popular HOFer.....and the only President
to own a BaseBall team......who can go to the mound and throw a perfect strike with a nice smooth
pitching motion.

Sure, my Grandson is an avid Jeter fan....I was an avid Mantle fan as a kid....and I like George Bush.
So, to me this card is a "triple play" winner.

TED Z

Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Ted,i hope you didnt go out and buy one did you? One of my friends was thinking about buying some packs to try and find some today and put them on ebay. That was way back when they were selling for an average of $100 each( noon today). If you check now tho,three have ended in the last 15 minutes for between $30-35.

Someone bought 10 of them last night for $800,so best case scenario for them,they get them tomorrow,put them on ebay for a day and only lose $500-600 on the deal.Or hold on to them for 20 years and lose about $700

Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Mueller

Chances are the folks who bought them on impulse at $70-400 ea can probably afford to lose it.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

It may be so that they can afford to lose a little money but thats still now thousands of people who have overspent on this card. One guy bought 50 of them for $1900...thats a huge loss! If these things drop to $10 each he losses $1400+ ebay fees, if they go back to the $2 level they were selling for(and not getting bids at) from just a few days ago then he takes an $1800 loss. I doubt thats why he bought them. I also doubt that anyone who paid that much was thinking they better buy them at an inflated rate before they drop down to normal levels. Even the richest person can afford to wait a couple days for prices to go back to normal,they didnt get rich by wasting money.

All of these people bidding this much are uneducated when it comes to cards,and in this case its a simple knowledge of topps press runs(which can either be had by research or an educated guess) coupled with the rule of supply and demand.In this case you know theres a high supply of them,so you wait till the demand dies down. Topps even gives people a hint as to rarity that should make them step back for a second and think it out. They have gold cards which are harder to find than base cards.They list how tough it is to find a gold card,then they tell you how many they have printed and in this case its numbered to 2007. Albert Pujols,who is one of the most popular players also has a gold card #'d to 2007 and they sell for an average price of $5. That should give you a hint of where Jeter will be when this craze dies down and there will be alot of people who will feel bad when they find out everyone else they know has this card and some people paid 1/50th what they did

Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Administrator

G-R-E-E-D

Right about now you have to figure the "less informed" people that have paid moer than a few dollars for their cards (especially those that spent well over $100) are going to be thinking - "what the hell did I do?" after they find out that those cards are basically going to be the standard cards for the set until the sets are released.

It would be neat to find out how many of the cards that Topps prints out this year. You have to figure that Topps sent out the message regarding scarcity of the cards so that people don't get burned and have a very bad taste in their mouths about their product.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

You know me better than that. I have a hard time paying more than $50.- for a T206's in Ex condition,
nowadays.
I still recall paying only $5.- for them.....back in the Paleolithic era.

But, I do have my Grandson tracking down the Jeter cards up in Maine.

Say hello to your Dad for me.

T-Rex TED

Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

Part Deux

Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

My Grandson, Ron, who is studying at the Univ. of Maine, just called me. He bought a box
of 2007 Topps packs for $80. Out of 36 wax packs, he got two Jeter cards. One with the
White lettering on the back and one with the Red lettering. The Red lettering version is the
one that is selling for the "big $$" on ebay. Apparently, the Red one is less available.

In any event, it is sheer madness. But, my Grandson, being an ardent Jeter fan is having fun.
And, that's what this hobby is all about.

TED Z

Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Ted,he told me to say hi next time i talked to you. Depending on when the next Reading show is and if it doesnt interfere with any games im going to,he will probably make the trip out with me.

As far as the cards price,its consistantly ending under $30 tonight but theres still over 2500 live auctions going. Seems like everyone has theirs already and the knowledgable people are just waiting the couple weeks for the frenzy to totally die down. Getting a box is definitely the way to go now because youll get the Jeter,plus about 239 other cards and a better chance to get something worth money,like buying a lottery ticket

Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I'm holding out for a PSA 10 and nothing less.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

I'm glad this thread was created because I saved a friend $42 yesterday. He is not a card collector, but he heard about the hype and went on eBay to grab a card. He thought the cards were worth $100 or so and he bid $42 but luckily got outbid. He was about to go out and try to win another auction when he called me and later came over and I showed him this forum. We spent a half hour going through this thread and others and I think he is hooked. He is going to wait to purchase the Jeter card eventually for a few bucks and now he's going to spend some time on the forum. Now, if I can just get him to buy something dull and old as opposed to shiny and new.

robert shaw

Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Administrator

It begins again,Jeter card craze part 2

Ive been checking the prices on this card periodically since the story broke and watched the cards plummet in value from over $350 to down to $25 in just over 3 days. So what happens when i check this morning? Im going to take a wild guess and say the card was on tv again because it the last hour over 500 auctions for it have ended with buy it now and the bidding has gone from consistantly ending around $20-35 to back over $200 again in a matter of minutes,all starting around 9am this morning! So did anyone see what show it was on in the last hour? I cant believe how easily people are being influenced by a media story and i cant believe this is happening again just 3 days later eventhough ebay has over 5000 completed auctions for proof of the drastic price drop

Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Guys,

Have you heard this a.m. I bought 2 boxes of '07 Topps and pulled out 3 Derek Jeter errors. One of them was a gold card and numbered 142/2007. Has anybody sold one of these on the internet, what's the price of the Gold Derek Jeter. Thanks.

Peter

Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Congrats. They're selling for 250-300 right now. Better hurry or it may go the way of the standard card.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

The gold versions were selling for about $25 before the craze started and thats about where they should level off so id sell today if i were you,1 day auction

Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Guys,

I'm not too worried, there's only 2007 of the gold version. It's quite possible that the peak for the gold version will be much later than the peak for the regular version.

At any rate, I'm going to hold for about 2 weeks before selling.

Peter

Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Peter,you can obviously do whatever you want with the card but just so you know,the next highest ebay ending price for a gold card(and every player has 2007 gold cards) is $30. The Jeter card has ended over $300 numerous times but before the craze started all 4 listed on ebay prior went for less than $50,one of them exactly a week ago and it had mention of Bush and Mantle on the card

The highest gold card sales per day(non buy it now)

today- $350
yesterday $455
friday- $525 (back in news)
thursday $204(the first time it died down)
wednesday $355
tuesday- first day of craze,none with bidding ended but all BIN's were bought
all sales prior to craze $44

Old 03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

If I were you, I'd sell that Jeter card as soon as you can. 2007 gold versions, 56 copper and maybe a million regular issue? Its hilarious people are paying so much money for that card. There's a copper on eBay at $800. I feel so sorry for all those who are buying them.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Peter,

Regular versions of that card are already selling for $25 - sales only a couple of days ago were over $100.
I'd be shocked if Gold versions get any higher over the next 2 weeks.
I think you will definitely regret it if you dont strike while the iron is hot.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Peter,

Sell it now and use the monety to buy two more gold Jeters later and you'll probably still have enough money to buy a nice pre-war card.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Guys,

I'm show that 2007 Gold Derek Jeters don't sound scarce to you guys. But it's a small enough number that some fool may try to corner the market. I'm waiting for the fool to show up.

Peter

Old 03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Unbelievable, a copper version sold for $1,644 on March 2. Truly amazing what a little hype can do