NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2022, 01:49 PM

Default Tale of a Scammer Interaction

On Sunday, I bumped my "WTB M131 Baltimore Newsboys" thread in the BST section. My initial post contained my email address. Later that day I received an email from someone stating they had an Evers. I actually already had an Evers (only like 4-5 known) so I said thanks, but no thanks. But the email struck me as odd and so I quickly edited my post to remove my email address.

This morning (Tuesday) I received an email from "Alex Nash". Here is the email:

"Hello,
I have a John McGraw available for sale. Let me know if you’re still interested.

Alex."

I was skeptical, because McGraw is extremely rare, I had never heard of this guy, and he emailed me rather PMing me through Net54. But you never know, so I emailed back that I appreciate the email and I am interested, can he please send me a picture and also provide his Net54 username. He emailed me a front and back scan of an SGC 1.5 M131 McGraw, with the following message:

"Check out the image below. Let me know what you think. My username is harperj497 on Net54."

I emailed Leon to verify (have not heard back but Leon will get back to me).

I then asked "Alex" for his asking price, and here is his reply:

"I’m asking 2100$ for it. I’m also open to hear your offer if you’re not okay with the price."

Now alarm bells really went off. This exact card sold for $4,000 in Heritage in 2015. I would expect to pay at least $7,000, and here the guy says "2100$" (note misplaced $) and he is open to an offer??!! There is no way this guy would quote $2,100 and be open to a counter-offer.

I looked up harperj497 on Net54, who recently started a thread called "Member's most precious card" and I PMed him asking if he had emailed me. Jack Harper PMed me back from username harperj497, confirming that he is not Alex and he did not email me.

I immediately emailed "Alex" with a counter-offer- he send me the card. If I like it, I will pay him $2100. If I dont like it, I will send the card back. Of course, no reply from Alex, who is now clearly a scammer.

A few lessons I learned here:

1. Do not include an email address in WTB threads on BST. Have people PM you first and once they make contact that way, you can provide your email privately in the PM thread
2. Ask for a Net54 user ID and look that person up. Ideally. contact them.
3. If it doesn't feel right, it likely is NOT right
4. If you get a scan, look it up and see when the exact card last sold. See of that sale makes sense in the context of their "asking price"
5. If the asking price is too low, then its a scam
6. Be skeptical of a willingness to accept a counter-offer, if they provide a price. Why would someone immediately negotiate against themselves, especially when they are responding to someone trying to buy something?

Anyway, I hope this story helps someone avoid a scam. Luckily, I am not out $2,100.

Ryan
Old 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM
qualitycards

Ryan Thanks for the info
You played it perfectly
Old 11-15-2022, 02:08 PM

Good advice, thanks Ryan
Old 11-15-2022, 02:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was out for a bit and haven't seen an email, Ryan. At any rate this one is a little different. The harperj497 might be fine BUT he doesn't have any registration info on file that I can find, so for now, he is banned until he PMs me with current info. I have a feeling he could be a scammer, and went to scamming school 102, as he has posted and even posted a thread. I am probably/hopefully wrong, So, we will see.
ps...there is no Jack Harper registered either LOL

Last edited by Leon; 11-15-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I was out for a bit and haven't seen an email, Ryan. At any rate this one is a little different. The harperj497 might be fine BUT he doesn't have any registration info on file that I can find, so for now, he is banned until he PMs me with current info. I have a feeling he could be a scammer, and went to scamming school 102, as he has posted and even posted a thread. I am probably/hopefully wrong, So, we will see.
Don’t ban harper497!!! He is a real guy, a real Net54 member. The scammer just picked his username randomly in his email back to me. This is a devious tactic and one of the reasons I started my thread. But harper497 is a real guy, is a victim here, and should not been banned

Edited- just read the rest of your post. I think this Harper guy is real. He quickly replied to my inquiry with his name and confirmed he never offered me an M131 McGraw. Maybe he is not registers, or something, but I think he is may be a real person.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 11-15-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Don’t ban harper497!!! He is a real guy, a real Net54 member. The scammer just picked his username randomly in his email back to me. This is a devious tactic and one of the reasons I started my thread. But harper497 is a real guy, is a victim here, and should not been banned

Edited- just read the rest of your post. I think this Harper guy is real. He quickly replied to my inquiry with his name and confirmed he never offered me an M131 McGraw. Maybe he is not registers, or something, but I think he is may be a real person.
Jack Harper, or that id, are not in my records. So he can pm, email or whatever me. But no one without a registration is going to be on the forum.
And I think you need to be really careful here. Everything very well might be fine but that user id and name are not, per the registrations I have.

Last edited by Leon; 11-15-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Jack Harper, or that id, are not in my records. So he can pm, email or whatever me. But no one without a registration is going to be on the forum.
And I think you need to be really careful here. Everything very well might be fine but that user id and name are not, per the registrations I have.
Ok. That is quite interesting that harper is not in your system and the scammer used that ID. Although we know other scammers have used Scott B's ID as alleged proof they are net54 members. Anyway, I am not pursuing any deal with harper or Alex or anything here. Email me and, if you want, I can send you a screenshot of my PM interaction with Harper,