NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Default Autograph Authentication

Posted By: Nickinvegas

Hello,
I have the opportunity to purchase a piece with the Autograph's of Tinker,Evers and Chance. The problem is that it is not authenticated. I am somewhat familiar with the Chance Auto, but I can't say for sure. PSADNA wants $450 to authenticate the three. Does any one have an opinion on the autographs or is there a service out there that can offer an opinion based on the images below before I shell out the money for the piece and the $450 for the authentication? "Quick Opinion" will only do it for Ebay auctions.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 04-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I believe that William Tell Research will do it. Their website is

http://www.williamtell.us/

I think it would be good to have someone look at it. I would be a little suspect on the Chance and Tinker autographs. The ends of many of the pen strokes show a heavy dot of ink, indicating that the pen was held longer at the end of the letter formation. Typically, the heavy ink dot occurs at the beginning of the pen stroke. Just my two cents. Good luck with it!!

Rob

Old 04-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Administrator

that I am not familiar with their 'graphs and the letter formation may stylistically correct for these guys.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Administrator

If the three autographs are included in one piece, you should be able to send the item in as a multiple signed piece. Check with PSA/DNA. If so, the cost would be $ 150.00.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

I am always very leery of autographs, but these look especially funny.

I would ask where these signatures came from and what type of document or piece of paper they are on. They all have a very similar look to me.

Also, find out what type of pen was used. It does not look like fountain pen to me.

Lastly, I have not heard good things about William Tell.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Set up a bogus eBay auction with a very high reserve. Use your scans and have Quick Opinion look at them. Then pull the auction. I have seen this done multiple times.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Rob,
You are a creative guy, we could use a guy like you here in Sin City!

Regards,
Nick

Old 04-05-2004, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Nick, an age old trick. If you try, let us know how it goes!

Old 04-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Isn't the seller supposed to be providing the proof of authenticity to the buyer, and not the other way round?

Old 04-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Administrator

It would be nice if the buyer would always provide some sort of authentication to the buyer, but they usually will come up with some sort of excuse (I obtained this from an estate, obtained it from the original owner who was a collector, etc.). They may even provide their own COA. As with all baseball memorabilia, the buyer needs to conduct the research to be certain to themselves that they are buying an authentic piece. It sucks that it has to work this way. Let the buyer beware!!

Old 04-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Administrator

I have yet to buy a Joe Tinker autograph from a seller who provides an excuse in lieu of an LOA.

If an unfamiliar seller of a premium signature like Tinker can't provide a legitimate LOA or proof that he bought it from a reliable source, don't even bother worrying about it. He can contact PSA/DNA or Mike Gutierez as easy as you can.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

I duly note that I'm only saying what I would do, and am not saying that others can't do differently.

My feeling is that, for autograph collectors, there are enough quality and well known sellers (including numerous on eBay) and enough items that come with good LOAs, that I don't see the point in wasting one's time worrying about autographs being offered by strangers who can't provide a good LOA or proof of where they got it. If your neighbor says she was a secretary for Frank Sinatra and comes with a box of seemingly legitimate documents and contracts and letters and tickets and photos including some documents apparently signed by Frank, that's certainly worth looking into--, but there are exceptions to every rule. And if you find a rule with out an exception, that proves me right.

Old 04-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Administrator

The seller should have provenance and a cert from PSADNA or Mike Gutierez,but if he did he would be selling for alot more than he might sell it to me for. If he had a cert. and proper provenance I would guess that the market would be around $4-5K for an item like this one.Unfortunataly I have chosen a carrer that is helpfull, but I am not wealthy. I enjoy finding items at a bargain price and getting them graded,framed or putting them in my shop and reselling for a profit(I do keep some, shhh..don't tell the wifey.)

It is true I take my chances with these kind of things,but us bottom feeders gotta do what we can!

Nick

Old 04-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Administrator

does PSA/DNA count them as cards for their $20 or whatever card grading/entombing deal? I have seen PSA/DNA entombed signed index cards. If they do, that would be an inexpensive way to go.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: GraphGuy

You are dealing with a piece that contains three signatures that are available in limited supply and have an above average demand. "Cuts" or similar items, such as those in your frame, are the easiest pieces to forge and give those doing so the highest return on their investment (which is essentially nothing). As a collector with years of experience in the autograph field I would RUN (not walk) away from this piece as though it were on fire. If authentic, this combo would sell in the $3500-$4500 range with no problem. Also, as previously stated, I have never heard a good word about William Tell Research other than from Coaches Corner who's ethics are questionable at best (if you need proof of this buy an autograph from one of their auctions. It will come with a photocopied certificate that warrents the authenticity for 30 days. After that your on your own). BUYER BEWARE.