NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 PM

Default What happened with Legendary Auctions?

I was waiting to bid on an item that I previously had bid on, however, all the lots closed at the same time? The auction never gave me a chance to bid in extended time. It was bad enough that they extended the auction by a week, but this is nuts!

Anyone know what happened?

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 12-15-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Anyone else bid on the Legendary Auction?

Anyone else bid on the Legendary Auction?

I won, I believe, one George Gibson photo, however, the one I really wanted I never got to bid on, because all the auctions I bid on ended at the same time without an extended period.

I guess that will teach me to read the auction rules.

Maybe they changed the ending procedure when they extended the auction by a week? Never received an email either way?

Patrick
Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

When you consider the confluence of great guys who were involved in this auction -- sort of like the mafia's 1957 Apalachin meeting but instead for morally challenged great guys -- are you surprised that something funky occurred?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default from wikipedia

The Apalachin Meeting was a historic summit of the American Mafia held on November 14, 1957 at the home of mobster Joseph "Joe the Barber" Barbara in Apalachin, New York.

It was attended by roughly 100 mafia crime bosses from the United States, Canada and Italy. Expensive cars with license plates from around the country aroused the curiosity of the local and state law enforcement, who raided the meeting, causing mafiosi to flee into the woods and the surrounding area of the Apalachin estate. Over 60 underworld bosses were detained and indicted due to the disastrous meeting.

The direct and most significant outcome of the Apalachin meeting was that it helped to confirm the existence of a National Crime Syndicate, which some - including J. Edgar Hoover, head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation - had long refused to acknowledge.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just in case anyone is confused:

Magilla Gorilla = Joseph Barbera

Thuggish Gorilla = Joseph Barbara

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Scott Levy

I rarely slam people or auction houses in public. But I have to say a similar thing happened to my father Hank and I many months ago with two T205 drum cards. We were notified that we were the winners of two lots then told at a later date that we won neither.

While I am not prepared to cry outright fraud, I feel that the situation was handled excessively poorly and I have refused to participate in any Legendary Auction since that time.

Notwithstanding Coaches Corner, Legendary is my least favorite auction house.

SGL
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
We were notified that we were the winners of two lots then told at a later date that we won neither.
Scott - can you clarify a bit - were you the high bidder when the auction ended?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Scott Levy

The exact details are a little blurry....but something very close to this happened:

We bid on two T205 drum cards and were being shown as high bid with the auction closed on one of Legendary screens. I believe that Legendary had a '30 minute' time window for topping bids. Had someone outbid us during the course of that auction which we happened to be carefully watching, I certainly would have placed another bid and possibly several other bids. But it showed us as the winner with the time expired.

I'm unclear as to how Legendary determined that we did not win those lots. Their explanation did not appear to make sense to me and a vague "we had technical problems" that night didn't seem like a very good answer either.

So that is more or less my story.

Last edited by scottglevy; 12-16-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Scott, "technical problems" is a great fallback answer for great guys. I'm guessing another great guy just wanted the cards more than you.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
...it showed us as the winner with the time expired.

I'm unclear as to how Legendary determined that we did not win those lots. Their explanation did not appear to make sense to me and a vague "we had technical problems" that night didn't seem like a very good answer either.
Scott - I would be furious.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Apalachin Meeting was a historic summit of the American Mafia held on November 14, 1957 at the home of mobster Joseph "Joe the Barber" Barbara in Apalachin, New York.

It was attended by roughly 100 mafia crime bosses from the United States, Canada and Italy. Expensive cars with license plates from around the country aroused the curiosity of the local and state law enforcement, who raided the meeting, causing mafiosi to flee into the woods and the surrounding area of the Apalachin estate. Over 60 underworld bosses were detained and indicted due to the disastrous meeting.

The direct and most significant outcome of the Apalachin meeting was that it helped to confirm the existence of a National Crime Syndicate, which some - including J. Edgar Hoover, head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation - had long refused to acknowledge.

My Father's business partner was at this meeting. Frank Zito from Springfield Illinois.