NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2020, 10:17 PM
Bill Mc.Nutt

Default Baseball Card Museum

Has anyone else seen this?

http://americanbaseballcardmuseum.org/index.html

Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2020, 10:29 PM
Fred

That is just too much. I need to create a web site similar to that one and see how well it works. Anybody on this board feel like donating to my museum? There's a tax deduction in there somewhere.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:37 AM
Derek Granger

How many collections of beat-up 1986-1992 Topps can one man possibly accept before finally pulling the plug on this endeavor! I love that the museum gallery has a whopping zero images!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Steve Birmingham

Their acceptance policy says they rarely accept anything 1980 or newer.

Not a bad angle.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:13 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

This is their deaccession policy:

Deaccession Policy

The American Baseball Card Museum believes that the deaccessioning of trading cards from our collection is an important part of building, maintaining, and properly caring for and exhibiting our card collection. Accordingly, the Museum has adopted the following policy on deaccessioning:

This policy applies only to cards formally accepted by the Museum as part of our permanent collection. Cards not part of our collection may be sold, gifted, discarded, or otherwise disposed of at any time and for any reason.
A card may be removed from our collection for any one of the following reasons:
Holding the card is inconsistent with the Museum's mission or vision, or the card is otherwise not a logical part of our collection.
The card is a duplicate of another card in our collection.
The authenticity of the card has been seriously questioned.
The card has been determined to have been altered, colored, shaved, or otherwise modified.
We believe the card has been stolen, or that the Museum does not have good title.
The card has been damaged or seriously deteriorated.
Deaccession is advisable in the judgment of the Museum's directors after considering the public interest and the Museum's mission and resources.
Any card eligible for deaccession may be sold, and the sale proceeds may be used to acquire cards for the collection or for Museum operations.
No card shall be sold or transfered to a director, employee, or volunteer of the Museum.
This policy may be modified at any time by the Museum directors.

Translated: You gift to us, and we at any time for any reason can decide to sell it and retain the proceeds.

Last edited by benjulmag; 05-12-2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:15 PM

OooooOOOoohhh! I'd like to start a museum myself. All your baseball cards are belong to us!

Last edited by mouschi; 05-12-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:37 AM
Mike Oberl@nder

If you are really looking to donate any of your cards or other memorabilia, there are other museums and nonprofits that could be potential recipients, as evidenced by the Met's Jefferson Burdick collection.

When we visited the Baseball Hall of Fame a number of years ago, my son and I spent a morning in the research center. We looked through dozens of folders of their images/paper - for Sandy Koufax, Wrigley Field, Christy Mathewson and Doc Oberlander and others. They didn't have any photographs of Doc Oberlander and we discussed his Old Judge Cards. They did have a copy of his obituary that I copied. The research librarian told me that that the Hall would gladly accept the original Old Judge cards. I am not "done" with them yet, so I sent the Hall digital files of the Old Judge cards that I had at the time for their files. I have told my kids that if they don't want them after they inherit them that those should be donated to the Hall. And, I have more wire photos of Sandy Koufax than they did; they would love those too.

I don't know for sure, but I have an educated opinion that the Hall would gladly accept many of the rare items that are often shared here. But, not the junk cases. And, I am not a shill for the Hall. Another one of my favorite places to visit is the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. And, there are many local museums/hall of fames that might be interested. Or, you can send your cards to that guy.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 AM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Does this mean_________?

My case of 1990 Fleer Baseball is worthy of a $1000 tax deduction as a charitable contribution?

This scheme so reminds me of The Universal Life Church ministry scam in the 1980's whereby for $25 they ordained you a as a minister. All home expenses became tax deductible!
Old 05-13-2020, 11:47 AM
James M.

Seems very suspect to me, on a side note though, There is a new small section in the Hall of Fame dedicated entirely to Cards, In my experience it was very nice. Some beautiful displays of vintage cards, in these gigantic, pullout sort of cases. Very enjoyable when I was there in the summer of 2019.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:17 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
This is their deaccession policy:

Deaccession Policy

The American Baseball Card Museum believes that the deaccessioning of trading cards from our collection is an important part of building, maintaining, and properly caring for and exhibiting our card collection. Accordingly, the Museum has adopted the following policy on deaccessioning:

This policy applies only to cards formally accepted by the Museum as part of our permanent collection. Cards not part of our collection may be sold, gifted, discarded, or otherwise disposed of at any time and for any reason.
A card may be removed from our collection for any one of the following reasons:
Holding the card is inconsistent with the Museum's mission or vision, or the card is otherwise not a logical part of our collection.
The card is a duplicate of another card in our collection.
The authenticity of the card has been seriously questioned.
The card has been determined to have been altered, colored, shaved, or otherwise modified.
We believe the card has been stolen, or that the Museum does not have good title.
The card has been damaged or seriously deteriorated.
Deaccession is advisable in the judgment of the Museum's directors after considering the public interest and the Museum's mission and resources.
Any card eligible for deaccession may be sold, and the sale proceeds may be used to acquire cards for the collection or for Museum operations.
No card shall be sold or transfered to a director, employee, or volunteer of the Museum.
This policy may be modified at any time by the Museum directors.

Translated: You gift to us, and we at any time for any reason can decide to sell it and retain the proceeds.
Sadly this is how real museums also work.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Bruce Mattioli

They also gladly accept cash donations..
Old 05-14-2020, 07:46 AM
Paul

Now your cards are tax deductible!

http://americanbaseballcardmuseum.or...ionPrimer.html

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
They also gladly accept cash donations..
Thank goodness. I was wondering what to do with a few extra dollars I have. Send it to crazy people. Check is in the mail....