NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Default Here's the Cobb I'm thinking of cracking out.......

Posted By: Dave Snyder

It's got a perfectly clean, centered back with no paper loss.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve yawitz

You might want to check for faint paste residue on back, if you haven't already. Back when I was still caught up in this numbers racket, I cracked out a GAI 5.5 only to end up with a PSA 2 because I missed some virtually transparent traces of glue on back.

In any event, your Cobb has great eye appeal. Unless I was planning on selling my collection, I'd probably just leave it alone.

http://imageevent.com/yawie99

Old 10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I agree - if you arent planning to sell, leave it alone. If so, you may be missing something on the back. Please post a scan of the reverse.

Edited to add - if its clean on the reverse, I'd crack it out and resubmit it to sgc - you will probably get a bump to at least a 40.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

If it has a clean back and no obvious problems or paper loss, I would crack it. That is a beautiful card. It probably has some negligable flaw which accounts for the grade, but you have nothing to lose by cracking it. At worst, it will come back as a 30 again. At best, you could get a 40 or 50. If you are selling the card, it will double its value. Of course, this one would sell for a premium over the average SGC 30 due to eye appeal.
JimB

Old 10-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

Maybe it's the scan but it looks like it may have or had several creases running horizontally through and below the face. Look at the card under good light in this area for surface problems.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Snyder

There are no creases running through the face or in the neck area and I can't see any trace of glue or paste residue on the back, although I can't be certain because it's in the case.

That said, if you have to look that long and hard to find a "flaw" with this card, shouldn't it warrant a higher grade? In my opinion, when you pick up an SGC 30, you should be able to see the issues right away.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Red

All we have to look at is a poor quality scan and have to guess at things we think we see. SGC looked at the actual card in hand and obviously saw something they didn't like in order to grade it a 30. Or maybe there's nothing wrong with your card and a data entry person hit 30 instead of 60. It's certainly worth sending it back to SGC to have them take another look at it.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I dont see any creases, but, in my opinion, if its got spider wrikles that are too tough to see with the naked eye, it should be downgraded - however, I'd probably say its worthy of a 40 rather than a 30 if that was the only issue.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank C

I'd crack it!

Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Dave... have you examined the card under magnification (with a jeweler's loop or such)?...I have missed many a wrinkle examining cards with the naked eye...it is a nice looking 30...

Mike

Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Dave,

I have an SGC 50 that does not look any nicer than yours, and mine is OC, too!

I'd sure ask them about the grade.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary Weatherhead

Crack it.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

I'd have to agree with the first poster, Steve - unless you're going to sell it don't worry about it. The card presents very nicely. Who cares what the label says.