NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should Selig reverse the call?
Yes 130 50.39%
No 128 49.61%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Default Should Bud Selig Overturn Jim Joyce's Call?

There is a groundswell opinion that Bud Selig should make the unprecedented move and award Armando Galarraga a perfect game. What do you think?

This was supposed to be a poll, and I messed it up. Oh well, you can still offer an opinion.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM
pete ullman

i agree.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Barry Sloate

I vote for Selig to set a precedent by overturning Joyce's bad call and giving Galarraga his perfect game. Nobody will be hurt by it. Future situations can be evaluated as they come up.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-03-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 AM
R Dixon

Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I vote for Selig to set a precedent by overturning Joyce's bad call and giving Galarraga his perfect game. Nobody will be hurt by it. Future situations can be evaluated as they come up.
I Agree
Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Chris Counts

While reversing the call would set a dangerous precedent under normal circumstances, it wouldn't matter if baseball allowed instant replay to settle disputed calls. The commissioner could solve two problems at once by reversing the call and enacting instant replay at the same time. A few hardliners would grumble, but I believe the vast majority of fans would quickly accept it, just like they do in football. Plus, they already allow instant reply on home run calls ...
Old 06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
qualitycards

I agree as well, its the right thing to do
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Dave

No, bad call but what makes it any different then if it was made in the 3rd inning and not the possible last batter of the game?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Reverse the call!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Bill

He needs to reverse it, the call was inarguably suckish. But I wouldnt bet on him reversing it. The hit king is still on the outside looking in.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Frank Wakefield

No. The bad call stands. For the rest of our lives, and the lives of our progeny, we don't want a Commissioner tampering with the calls between the foul lines.

What should have happened is one of the other 3 umpires moves out in front of the plate, between the mound and the plate, and stares at the remaining 2, they'll get the idea and approach. They then look over at Joyce and wait for him to decide to approach. They can't help him unless he asks for help on the call, but they could have huddled there waiting for him to come over, and eventually he'd realize he should ask the crew chief for help on the call. I think we'll see the results of a meeting with umpires discussing this process.

Golly... if the Commissioner can 'fix' calls, I can think of a few that could do with 'fixing'. Where would it end? The problem here, I think, is that emotion and desire to reach a certain outcome (a perfect game) has pushed reason to one side. And that hit king walked by a sign every day as player, coach, and manager... the sign proscribed gambling. He should get in the hall any of the 363 days it's open, after he's bought an admission ticket.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-03-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Barry Sloate

Frank- I'm not suggesting that all bad calls should be subject to review. If an ump misses a call with two outs in the 5th inning of a 7-2 game, it should not be reversed. But there are exceptions to any rule, and can any call be more egregious than the one made last night? If ever there was a need to set a precedent, that was it.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Only if he reviews all of the other calls in the game including called strikes. Maybe the perfect game shouldn't even have lasted through 26 outs, or a called strike that wasn't gave the pitcher a favorable count to work with.

Would this even be a topic for discussion if it had occurred in the 2nd or 3rd inning?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Frank Wakefield

It is a topic because of a desired outcome.

And that, to me, should not be a factor in the decision. "Because if I reverse and correct this call the pitcher can have a perfect game, that's why I'm changing it." No, can't accept that that is right.

Who knows what might happen if ARod hits what might have been an 800th home run, but he stepped out of the batter's box and is ruled out... video shows he was out, but the lime had long ago been rubbed away so ARod couldn't see that he was out... and after all it would be his 800th home run... Or maybe Jeter is about to hit in that 57th consecutive game... No, Barry, we shouldn't look at a desired outcome and let that affect our decision-making.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 AM
P.hil €lli$

You don't reverse it. That opens up a can of worms that I don't think anyone wants to open with the "human element" of baseball.

Also, if the commissioner were to step in and rule that an out because of a perfect game, how tarnished is that effort now? The best part of a perfect game, no-hitter, walk off HR is the immediate celebration of the team, player etc. Now, the next day you are going to rule it an out? Where's the celebration? There isn't one.......kind of a lost moment that you can never get back.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Barry Sloate

Didn't George Brett hit a home run at Yankee Stadium that was negated because of too much pine tar on his bat? And then didn't that call get reversed shortly thereafter when common sense prevailed, and the last inning was ultimately replayed? Like it or not, the commissioner's office recognized that an exceptional situation occurred.

Keep in mind if the outcome of last night's game were reversed (and I know it won't be), it would not change who won and lost. The only negative would be Donald losing an infield hit. Yes, it would open a can of worms. I say go get the can opener.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-03-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Barry

I added a poll for you. For the record I don't think he should....
Old 06-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks for opening the poll. I too understand it won't be overturned...I'm just trying to present an argument for why it could or should.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No way. Crappy calls are part of the game. What we need is instant replay review.

Besides, there'll be another perfecto next week.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
No, bad call but what makes it any different then if it was made in the 3rd inning and not the possible last batter of the game?
The difference is that it's THE LAST BATTER OF THE GAME. Meaning that nothing can change if that call is corrected. In the third inning every play has an effect on every other play for the rest of the game.

The better question is, if he proceeds to lose the game after this call is made with another hit and then a bomb to tie it does Bud change anything? Of course not.

I think it's a huge shame, and blame lies with Joyce and the crew chief Darryl Cousins for not getting the call right at the time. Bud can't and shouldn't do anything.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

Absolutely not.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default if

IF it was going to be overturned it should/would have needed to be done before the next pitch. That is my thought on it. Then I could have been ok with it...but not afterwards.

Barry- I didn't know what your verbiage would have been on the poll so just made it easy and obvious.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
No. The bad call stands. For the rest of our lives, and the lives of our progeny, we don't want a Commissioner tampering with the calls between the foul lines.

What should have happened is one of the other 3 umpires moves out in front of the plate, between the mound and the plate, and stares at the remaining 2, they'll get the idea and approach. They then look over at Joyce and wait for him to decide to approach. They can't help him unless he asks for help on the call, but they could have huddled there waiting for him to come over, and eventually he'd realize he should ask the crew chief for help on the call. I think we'll see the results of a meeting with umpires discussing this process.

Golly... if the Commissioner can 'fix' calls, I can think of a few that could do with 'fixing'. Where would it end? The problem here, I think, is that emotion and desire to reach a certain outcome (a perfect game) has pushed reason to one side. And that hit king walked by a sign every day as player, coach, and manager... the sign proscribed gambling. He should get in the hall any of the 363 days it's open, after he's bought an admission ticket.
I think Frank makes a good point. I was watching the game, and was waiting for any of the other umps to run over and at least say something to Joyce. Maybe it's time for instant replay to be used
Old 06-03-2010, 07:18 AM
P.hil €lli$

You want instant replay for routine judgement calls? Where would it end?
Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Don

When the commissioner voids Bonds/McGwire/Sosa etc. HR records, then I'll listen to his reasoning for reversing this call.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Chris Counts

If instant replay was enacted in baseball, there would no doubt be limits to how often a call could be reviewed, just like in football. If a manager knew he could call for a review just once a game, he wouldn't blow that opportunity on a petty call ...
Old 06-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Leon- the poll is fine as worded.

I too was a little surprised that the umps didn't huddle after the play and have a conference. Is it possible the home plate umpire saw the play well enough to reverse it? Probably not, but that was the moment to discuss it.

And Adam is probably right- seems like we'll just have another perfect game in a week or so.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

No.

But, Selig's appointment should be reversed.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Johnny S

It's a real mess, it was a perfect game except in the record books but will go down as a historic game much more talked about than had he gotten the correct call. What I don't understand is how a home run can be reviewed but a routine play like this cannot, doesn't make sense. Also have to really question where Joyce had his head was he not even aware that a perfect game was on the line ? I don't think this can be overturned and won't be but get rid of the home run reviews wtf.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Rob Miller

I voted "no". As sickened and disgusted as I was, it is part of the game and it should stand.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Al

Absolutely not.

A hundred years from now, they'll be talking about this game. This will be the second most famous perfect game in the history of baseball. Everybody knows it, including the young man who pitched it and the umpire who blew the call.

Absolutely everything about the way this has transpired has been wonderful. The class of Jim Joyce - a respected umpire - for immediately owning up to his mistake, not placing blame or making excuses, and personally apologizing. The grace and dignity of Armando Galarraga, for accepting the apology and conducting his postgame interviews with such poise, never with a negative word to say.

This is baseball, and this is life. People make mistakes that sometimes hurt, and admitting wrongdoing (and accepting apologies) is what we want people to do.

This is how we WANT our athletes to behave. They almost never behave the way we want them to. Why ruin all that by overturning a call?

-Al
Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Leave things as they are. Armando should be remembered for being a class act and someone that should be looked up to by our kids. He will be remembered more if it is not changed then if it is changed. I think this has been handled with great class by all. Baseball is a game by humans lets keep it that way.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 09-19-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
This is baseball, and this is life. People make mistakes that sometimes hurt, and admitting wrongdoing (and accepting apologies) is what we want people to do.

This is how we WANT our athletes to behave. They almost never behave the way we want them to. Why ruin all that by overturning a call?
l
Well put.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Jim

Default no

Don't like the call but that's just the way baseball is played and imo the less replay used in all sports the better.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Ryan Christoff

Does this mean the Cardinals won the 1985 World Series?

-Ryan
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM

No way the call should be reversed. Home plate umps blow at least 10% of ball and strike calls every game (I don't have the exact numbers, but when you watch any game on TV you can clearly see all the miscalls). These ball and strike miscalls, which are routine, make more of a difference than calls in the field on whether any game is perfect or a close miss. Galarraga was no more perfect than many other pitchers before him who were "robbed" by ball and strike miscalls that led to a walk or a basehit.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Barry Sloate

All good points...and I too was impressed by Galarraga's grace. But I still feel awful for what he lost. Haddix lost his perfect game but that was from a play on the field. There was an error, followed by a hit. This one is much worse. It will be talked about forever, but still...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 AM

I hate to say it, but I voted YES.

I consider myself to be a purist of the game, and would hate to see intsant reply go into effect, but I think this is one of the very small number of times in history that this would be a good decision. It would be fun to do some history digging and see if any of the countless appeals to the main office back in the day, ever overturned an on field decision.

I would also like to say what a good job the kid did taking it in stride. It would be hard not to blow a gasket, knowing that is your one chance at the history books.

Bob
Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Daryle Barbee

Default Overturn?

I voted NO......we don't need instant replay in baseball. Although it was a terrible call it was a judgement call and it happened fast. Jim Joyce made the call, he didn't hesitate. He felt he was safe and he stuck with it. If I was a MLB umpire I wouldn't want replays. I would feel like I really wasn't needed out there. Just look at a replay and make every call. Yes, I'm a purist, Love this game and I'm old fashion. This game has been around for 150 years....lets not change it.

Although I stated that I would have been ejected had it been me, my hats off to Galarraga, he didn't say a word to Joyce after the call, just a "I can't believe you called him safe" look. I was actually hoping Cabrera would get face to face with him at first while they were "jawing" at each other. Thought he was....why not? Last inning....one out to go.....cause a scene

And, I also tip my hat to Jim Joyce for going to clubhouse after he reviewed the call and realizing he missed it to apologize to Galarraga for the missed call. Took a man to do that and to admit he cost him his perfect game.........

Life goes on....its a game...

Last edited by wolfdogg; 06-03-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default It's Crazy Not To Reverse It

As has already been pointed out, there is precedent for doing just that - the George Brett Pine Tar incident.

When almost everyone else in the world thinks the call should be overturned, not overturning it will just make those people feel it is one more example of the commissioner sitting on his hands rather than taking an action, which he has the power to do, that could right a wrong.

Conversely, if he does reverse the call and award the perfect game, I think it will have a very beneficial effect. It's a "feel good" move that should not be ignored.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
As has already been pointed out, there is precedent for doing just that - the George Brett Pine Tar incident.

When almost everyone else in the world thinks the call should be overturned, not overturning it will just make those people feel it is one more example of the commissioner sitting on his hands rather than taking an action, which he has the power to do, that could right a wrong.

Conversely, if he does reverse the call and award the perfect game, I think it will have a very beneficial effect. It's a "feel good" move that should not be ignored.
First of all, Pine Tar incident was overturned because it was a "rules interpretation" and those are the only rulings that can be overturned, not a judgement call on a player out or safe at a base (that happens about 35 times per game).

Second, the commissioner is not sitting on his hands, he doesn't have the power to overturn a judgement call on the field.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 AM

Unfortunately this will probably lead to instant replay. Combined with all the loud music, stupid scoreboard games etc., I may just stop going to the games. A ballgame used to be a place to get away from distractions and excessive technology, now it is just another source.

I'd trade a perfectly umpired game for the simple game of baseball as it was meant to be played with all its errors (umpires and otherwise).
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Alan U

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the call was the other way, he was called out when he was safe, would the perfect game be taken away?

In either case I don't think it should be reversed.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 AM

I consider myself am a purist (an NL fan) but I am also all about getting calls right.

If this were the NBA, the NFL or the NHL, instant replay would have been used and the call would have been made right.

Bud Selig has been against instant replay but he CAN NOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. He can not be against instant replay while also not having to be held responsible for standing up and changing an incorrect call.

David
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Second, the commissioner is not sitting on his hands, he doesn't have the power to overturn a judgement call on the field.
If he doesn't have the power by some document, I don't think anyone would argue if he took the common-sense, good-sportsmanship step. This is a game. Games are supposed to make you feel good. A lot of people feel angry about that game. He should make them feel good.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM

As much as the Commissioner's Office might have wanted to do something, as far as steroids go, it was the Players Union who didn't want to take a stand against steroids and other PED's.

There had been a ruling by fay Vincent that said steroids and PED's were illegal since 1993 but the Players Union saw their guys makingtoo much money to change anything. It took Congress getting into the act to amke them change their tune.

As far as Pete Rose goes, he knew what he was doing was wrong and is paying the price for it. It hurts me to say this because I have been a Reds fan since 1975 but he is getting what he deserves.

Finally, ALL Major League sports tell kids to "do the right thing". Well, Bud Selig has a chance to "do the right thing" but will he?

If he would have allowed greater use of instant replay he would NOT be in this spot now. But since he didn't, he NOW has to grow a pair and "do the right thing".

David
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Barry Sloate

It's very odd that instant replay can be used to overturn a home run call but nothing else. What is the common sense behind that? Why couldn't a manager have say one challenge a game, like they do in the NFL? Or why couldn't there be one umpire in a booth somewhere watching instant replay? If there were no controversial calls then the game would proceed as it always does (very slowly indeed). But if there was an obvious mistake he would have the power to fix it. Not necessarily every ball and strike, but a significant play within certain parameters. Something along those lines couldn't really hurt the game.

Last edited by barrysloate; 06-03-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkandp View Post
If he doesn't have the power by some document, I don't think anyone would argue if he took the common-sense, good-sportsmanship step. This is a game. Games are supposed to make you feel good. A lot of people feel angry about that game. He should make them feel good.
So where do you draw the line....if this wasn't going to be a perfect game, but rather a 1 or 2 hitter, do you review it?

If it was going to be a no-hitter, but not a perfect game, do you review it?

If it was just a regular game do you review it?

If a pitcher has a perfect game going in the sixth, do you start reviewing any and all close calls?

Where does it stop? Are you saying only in this rare instance of a possible perfect game being broken up with 2 outs in the ninth? Is that the only time you review it?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Barry Sloate

The NFL has instituted a rule that allows certain plays to be reviewed, and most fans of the game feel it has worked. Baseball could do the same thing, although a good deal of thought would have to be put into how to do it.

Not every blown call is the same. Umps probably miss at least 10-20 balls and strikes calls per game. It would be inefficient to review every pitch that was two inches off the plate and called a strike.

But what if last night Galarraga had a 3-2 count on the last hitter, threw the next pitch right down the center of the plate, and it was called ball four. Can we agree that there are some situations that are more critical than others, and deserve closer scrutiny?

Sure, umpires miss safe and out calls every day. There are hundreds of them during the course of the season. But would anybody really say that what Joyce did last night was just your garden variety missed call? Most missed calls are forgotten five minutes later; the one last night will be remembered for a generation.

I do think some plays are more crucial than others that appear to be similar. Couldn't there be some way to assess this and improve the game?

I'm using a simple premise here: it's always better to get the call right than to get it wrong. If the NFL found a way to cut down on errors by reviewing key plays, why can't baseball?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post

Of course he does. The Commissioner has the ultimate power to do anything he deems to be "in the best interest of Major League Baseball."
Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Of course he does. The Commissioner has the ultimate power to do anything he deems to be "in the best interest of Major League Baseball."
And you think "best interest" involves overturning a routine judgement call/play?