NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
The difference is what other teams were doing was allowed by the rules. That wasn't good enough for the Pats, they had to break the rules. It gave them an unfair advantage. If it wasn't a major reason they won 3 SBs, how come they have won ZERO since then?

It wasn't like they were blowing teams out, it was 3 close wins, two on last second fgs, Since then, they are losing those close games (to the Giants). I'd say having the other team's signals was a major reason they won.

You can turn a blind eye to the Pats cheating. Just don't expect the rest of us to ignore it.
Taping the practices and signals was and I believe is standard practice. That there's a rule stating where this taping can be done pretty much confirms that. Prior to the pats taping from the wrong place the Jets had someone taping from the wrong place and the Pats didn't go to the league, just asked him to leave.

Frankly, if taping practices and signals is as common as it is, and a head coach is too dumb to change those signals the team is probably going to have some problems anyway.

Hey, I get it.
The Pats used to be truly horrible in just about every way.
A coach whose main highlight was getting electrocuted during his introductory press conference.
Players harassing a female member of the press.
And generally just being a bad football team.

And as sports fans do, I looked anywhere else for the reason. The refs were against us, the rules were unfair, anything except the organization was just bad from the top down. Sure, they had some good players. Plunkett was pretty good, and was better after he left. Hmmmmm .......must be something odd going on there.....(Like the Raiders having a clue)

I'm looking forward to the superbowl, and the matchup between the most successful Pats head coach and the second most successful Pats head coach.

You mad bro?

Steve B

Last edited by steve B; 01-26-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typos, probably missed some too
Old 01-26-2015, 02:21 PM
P.hil €lli$

Breaking news from Jay Glazer:

http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Breaking news from Jay Glazer:

http://m.tmi.me/1eXHpm
This is what I thought would happen from the beginning. Some no name, low level employee would get blamed and fired for this. The Patriots (Tom Brady) will of course claim that they never ever ever ever ever ever told him to reduce the air pressure in the balls, he just did it on his own.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
The Patriots (Tom Brady) will of course claim that they never ever ever ever ever ever told him to reduce the air pressure in the balls, he just did it on his own.
Of course
Old 01-26-2015, 03:23 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Maybe it's time to start a parallel Scooter Libby thread to lend some perspective.

Like Mike said, there's been some good stuff said, examples given, but seems the posse doesn't seem interested. What my Niners allegedly did by paying players under the table would be far far more severe than playing with lower pressure game balls. What any number of teams, that for whatever reason never had to face this type of scrutiny is more severe than deflated game balls.

Dean- re fumbles, I've seen reference to those stats. It's interesting, and I'd be curious to check out individual player stats to see how their fumble rates increased or decreased in NE (but trying to get work done!!). I did do a quick scan of Legarrette Blount's stats, and looked like he fumbled at a similar rate in NE as TB. I do think strong coaching emphasis on protecting the ball (look at Tiki Barber's career) and quickly benching fumble prone players can go a long way toward better offensive turnover numbers. I also consider a lot of other things as the truest factors in not fumbling-- being strong especially hand strength, protecting the ball (4 points of contact), being able to safely transfer ball hands, covering up with 2 hands when needed, wearing sticky gloves, etc. Just like some teams were ahead of the curve teaching stripping techniques (relatively recently, especially in secondary), I'd guess the Pats position coaches may be very good at teaching ball security techniques. Just checked, they did not lead the league in fewest fumbles this year, and were tied with 3 other teams for 2nd.

I vow I am not a Pats fan (and not blushing) and I was very happy when the Niners beat them in NE on MNF last season. This whole debacle has definitely given me a stronger rooting interest in the SB though.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr2 View Post
This is what I thought would happen from the beginning. Some no name, low level employee would get blamed and fired for this. The Patriots (Tom Brady) will of course claim that they never ever ever ever ever ever told him to reduce the air pressure in the balls, he just did it on his own.
Agreed. I once took the fall for a multi-million dollar deal that failed, even though I had nothing to do with it - but I was a paramecium and even the people on the other side of the deal understood what was happening. I even had management explain the situation to me beforehand, and we all agreed (me included) that it was best that we put my name on it as opposed to blaming the guilty and losing the deal.

I got a raise and a promotion for doing so. This is all part of business 101. The equipment manager will get a lobster dinner and a huge pile of cash. The Pats are grateful, but the behavior on all sides was expected. Even the NFL will be happy with such an outcome - it was the only way this could end, so I don't doubt it in the least.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

I echo Ian in that this has been a great discussion, with only minor flaming

I hope it all is swept under the rug prior to Superbowl Sunday, then the Patriots and the NFL can bring in 'The Wolf' after a week or so.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Taping the practices and signals was and I believe is standard practice. That there's a rule stating where this taping can be done pretty much confirms that. Prior to the pats taping from the wrong place the Jets had someone taping from the wrong place and the Pats didn't go to the league, just asked him to leave.

Frankly, if taping practices and signals is as common as it is, and a head coach is too dumb to change those signals the team is probably going to have some problems anyway.

Hey, I get it.
The Pats used to be truly horrible in just about every way.
A coach whose main highlight was getting electrocuted during his introductory press conference.
Players harassing a female member of the press.
And generally just being a bad football team.

And as sports fans do, I looked anywhere else for the reason. The refs were against us, the rules were unfair, anything except the organization was just bad from the top down. Sure, they had some good players. Plunkett was pretty good, and was better after he left. Hmmmmm .......must be something odd going on there.....(Like the Raiders having a clue)

I'm looking forward to the superbowl, and the matchup between the most successful Pats head coach and the second most successful Pats head coach.

You mad bro?

Steve B
This makes no sense. The only one mad is Tom Brady for losing to the Seahawks and then running away like a little girl instead of shaking Richard Sherman's hand.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
This makes no sense. The only one mad is Tom Brady for losing to the Seahawks and then running away like a little girl instead of shaking Richard Sherman's hand.
I guarantee, nothing would make a player look like a bigger chump than would accepting Richard Sherman's mock conciliatory hand shakes. Ask Michael Crabtree last year. I think in both cases those guys did well to just walk away, rather than to let it escalate which is all Sherman wants. I give it up to Sherman though, he's an amazing talent and a champion talker and head shrinker. He's to the NFL what Gary Payton was to basketball.

I expect to see LeGarrette Blount and some pulling guard running his way quite a bit on Sunday. Also, so much of what NE does passing, they do from the inside out (backs, TEs and the slots), so will be interesting to see how much a factor Sherman will be. The one I can't wait to see is Kam Chanceller vs Gronk, one of Sunday's more compelling potential matchups.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Chris

Last edited by FenwayFaithful; 05-18-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...into-bathroom/

So the ballboy carried 2 large bags into a one stall bathroom, emptied the Patriots' bag of footballs, deflated 12 footballs by 1-2 PSI, put the footballs back into the bag, and exited the bathroom in roughly 90 seconds? Let's remember that the ballboy was not aware of any future investigation and wouldn't have been in any rush to do all of this. It's much more likely the kid was taking a piss, which is, you know, the purpose of a bathroom. This story has become an absolute joke.
I was telling a buddy he took a piss then either washed his hands, or "stink palmed" the Colts' game balls... if you've seen Mallrats, you know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Love the use of the term, "person of interest" btw, like this is some super high level investigation into terrorism or espionage. "Perp" would have been great too.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
I guarantee, nothing would make a player look like a bigger chump than would accepting Richard Sherman's mock conciliatory hand shakes. Ask Michael Crabtree last year. I think in both cases those guys did well to just walk away, rather than to let it escalate which is all Sherman wants. I give it up to Sherman though, he's an amazing talent and a champion talker and head shrinker. He's to the NFL what Gary Payton was to basketball.

I expect to see LeGarrette Blount and some pulling guard running his way quite a bit on Sunday. Also, so much of what NE does passing, they do from the inside out (backs, TEs and the slots), so will be interesting to see how much a factor Sherman will be. The one I can't wait to see is Kam Chanceller vs Gronk, one of Sunday's more compelling potential matchups.
Brady started it by talking trash to Sherman. When you start something and the other guy beats you, be a man and admit you are wrong. You don't run away like a little girl. That is pathetic. I understand why Pats fans don't have a problem with that, they are still in denial about Spygate.

Crabtree didn't talk trash to Sherman before that game. It was Sherman who initiated it. In that situation you just walk away. Those two situations aren't remotely comparable.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
Peter

Default Unfair Competitive Advantage

I don't go too crazy over sports analytics, but I thought this was pretty damning. If you don't really think that deflated balls (no laughing please) gives you much of an advantage, you should check this out. It's not all about Brady either.

Apologies if this was already posted in the thread or you don't like to read graphs.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com...-proof-in-2007
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by th38larg View Post
I don't go too crazy over sports analytics, but I thought this was pretty damning. If you don't really think that deflated balls (no laughing please) gives you much of an advantage, you should check this out. It's not all about Brady either.

Apologies if this was already posted in the thread or you don't like to read graphs.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com...-proof-in-2007
The conclusions in that article are laughable. One outlier year and the rest are all right in line with the pre-2007 years. Big deal.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
The conclusions in that article are laughable. One outlier year and the rest are all right in line with the pre-2007 years. Big deal.
... and to single out Tom Brady (with Manning) as pushing for the 2007 rule change is ridiculous. Every QB in the league would push for this, but Brady happened to have the star power to get it done.

I can't offer proof of a prior rules change, but I also highly doubt that home teams had ALWAYS supplied the game balls prior to 2007. I'd guess individual teams have supplied their own balls for the bulk of NFL and football history (they do at all other levels). I'd guess this freedom may have been restricted around the same time the "K" ball came into effect... but may be wrong.

Adding-- just read Brad Johnson bribed someone $7500 to break in the balls prior to the SB in 2003. Classic. Either Bucs fans needs to step up to defend their tainted title.. or we can all just agree to not care.

Last edited by itjclarke; 01-27-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Brad Johnson