NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 PM

Default Fritz Pollard autograph

Hi

I know this is a Football question but I will ask it here anyways.

I know that there was a Fritz Pollard autograph in a catalog auction somewhere in the last year and I cant for the life of me figure out how much it went for or what auction it was in. Does anyone know what auction it was in and the realized price?

Thanks in advance

Rhys Yeakley

themodo@hotmail.com
Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM

Default Fritz

Hello Rhys,

I recall seeing it as well, but can't remember where either; if I do, I'll email you.

By chance did you pickup that group of Pollard ephemera? It was a really neat group, and I had my manual snipe set to go, but got blown out of the water. I really liked the Christmas card, and was curious what else was in the lot.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 AM

The last Fritz Pollard autograph I saw, was sold in a Hunt Auctions Internet auction, roughly 6 months ago. It was a three by five card and it sold for I think a touch more than $400.

DanC
Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM

I dont remember that one because the one I am thinking of was in a catalog auction. If it really sold for $400 than someone got the deal of the decade for Football Hall of Fame autographs. I have never seen one for sale privately at less than $2000+. I have never seen a realized price though because in the 4 years since he made the Hall of Fame I have seen exactly one example in an auction and now I cant remember where that one was.

My mind must be playing tricks on me but I appreciate the responses.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Rhys,

I have seen a couple (maybe three) Pollard signed items since his induction and they have sold in three by five form for around $400-500.

$2000 is an incredible amount if someone in fact got that. He did pass away in 1986 and did in fact sign through the mail. The SMR has him priced out in 3x5 form at $350.

Enclosed is the one that sold in the Hunt Auction (it is a catalog) for I believe $415.

Hope this helps.

DanC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pollard.jpg (21.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 PM

I appreciate the response. I saw one before he made the NFL Hall of Fame and it was $1000 in about 2003. I have been looking VERY hard for just one since 2005. If you add up all the ones I have seen in dealer sites, auctions, ebay and every National since 2005 up until the ebay lot, I have seen exactly one. I heard a major dealer tell me he sold one for $2000 right after the induction and I know one guy who has one and he told me paid over $1000 and would not sell it back for twice that. The SMR means nothing and in my opinion $400 is a steal. It is a later in life signature and actually looks very little like his vintage signature which might account for the low price. I think it just slipped through the cracks which sometimes happens with Hunts.

I do appreciate the response and the scan!

Thanks

Rhys