NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default Autographed Cracker Jacks

Posted By: James Gallo

Any one seen or have any signed Cracker Jacks?

How rare are period signed pre war cards?

Are certain players very available?

I would love to see some signed CJ.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

I have an Amos Strunk. Send me your e-mail and I'll send you a scan. I am not to proficient at posting scans here.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

Cool email sent.

Anyone else?

James

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Signed Pre-WWI cards are rare. Most common are T206s. I've seen an E90-1 Ty Cobb. Goudeys and Play Balls are relatively plentiful.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Rarity is a subjective term, especially in Baseball Card-land. We must speak of pre-war autographs in comparative terms. Obviously, auto'd t206 and caramels are extremely rare in comparison to there pre-WWII counterparts. However, I just don't agree when folks state the auto'd pre-war sets like Goudey, Diamond Stars, or Play Ball are NOT rare. Of course they are! Especially in comparison to the numbers in which they are printed. For every few thousand Goudey commons that are sold, only a couple are probably autographed. Each is a unique piece. Since many of those players died decades ago, it's not as if many more are going to surface.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

I only meant that signed Goudeys are more plentiful compared signed Pre-WWI cards. I wasn't comparing them to anything else.

The Goudeys and Diamond stars are great cards signed. Not only are they nice looking cards by themselves, but the signatures show up well. For the autographed card collector, it doesn't matter how beautiful and rare the card if you can't see the signature against the dark printing. Below is a Goudey Waite Hoyt I once owned (signature authenticated by Mike Gutierrez/GAI).

Old 05-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I have seen large groups of Goudeys signed. There were a few collectors long ago that came close to completing the R319 Goudey set, all signed. I remember seeing large groups of these cards auctioned off in the past, In the late 80's I bought a Goudey Dizzy Dean, Cronin, Vance, Jackson, Rice, and Hubbell in the same auction all with vintage 30s-40s signatures.

I have only see a handful of T206 signed, and most were of players that lived well into the 60's (I think most were signed well after careers ended), I can remember a couple Cobbs, F.Chance and Marquard offhand. I think it wasnt as popular to have cards signed in the 1910 era, as it was in the 1930-40 era.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

What's the oldest autograph card deemed "authentic" by JSA/PSA/GAI? Any Old Judge card? I know a board member owns a Hugh Duffy Mayo.

James

Old 05-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

That's the oldest that I can think of. There are signed CDVs and cabinet cards from earlier years, thoughs those aren't quite the same baseball-card wise.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

T206 Bresnahan Portrat autographed at the National one year. It looked vintage but wasn't authenticated by anyone reputable. But what does that really mean on a signature like that anyway?

Old 05-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I am going to assume the 1872 Red Stockings autographed Warren cabinets take the prize as the earliest autographed set of baseball cards...

Old 05-31-2006, 04:37 PM
Administrator

In the old days, one of the many uses for CDVs was as a person's business or visiting card (carte de visite translates into English as visiting card). Thus, it's not incongruent for a CDV to have the signature or note of the person pictured.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I have seen an n172 signed on the back by Connie Mack. I have never seen a CJ signed.

DJ

Old 05-31-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

I actually have two autographed Cracker Jack cards -- Rube Marquard and Harry Hooper. I got the autographs myself in Coooperstown in the early 70s.
I also had a Marquard T206 with me to have autographed, but I had it and several other cards mounted with corner hinges on a hard scrapbook cover, figuring it woud make the cards easier for players to sign. When I handed it to Marquard, he started the signature on the card, but just kept right on going, writing most of his last name off the card and on the scrapbook. I still have it, but have never quite figured out a good way to display it.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

Its weird how there isn't more autographed Rube Marquard t206s and cracker jacks, considering how long the guy lived for.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt