NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Default Oy Vey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Evidently there is at least one other person that thinks this Frankenstein card is real. I got this message this morning from a guy named Mark..

Leon,
After reading comments made by your board members concerning the newest Honus Wagner Auction I must respectfully decline to join that board.
I want to be part of a board that has a real knowledge about card collecting. A board that uses common sense thinking not some crazy notions that card grading services are the be all to end all.
Leon, card grading services were not around when cards such as a Honus Wagner were printed so they have no clue who printed them and they offer no scientific evidence to disprove the cards validity .
Thanks.

Where does this guy get the idea that there is some crazy notion on this forum that TPGs are the be all and end all? Must never have read any of DM's posts.

In another vein, can't tell you how tough it is for me to get my arms around imagining what it would be like to hear you say "oy vey" with your Texas accent.

Maybe hearing Kinky Friedman say it would give me an idea.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Evidently there is at least one other person that thinks this Frankenstein card is real. I got this message this morning from a guy named Mark..

Leon,
After reading comments made by your board members concerning the newest Honus Wagner Auction I must respectfully decline to join that board.
I want to be part of a board that has a real knowledge about card collecting. A board that uses common sense thinking not some crazy notions that card grading services are the be all to end all.
Leon, card grading services were not around when cards such as a Honus Wagner were printed so they have no clue who printed them and they offer no scientific evidence to disprove the cards validity .
Thanks.

Sounds very similar to what "goldenarm9" posted as a follow-up comment to the original article that the op linked to:

Goldenarm9
I read that garbage and got a laugh out of it. What you boys do not have
is common sense ...was PSA around when that card or any of them was
printed, i think not , so tell us what printing company printed that
card and what industry standards are PSA supposed to be using to try to
discount that card?
It looks like Cobb-Edwards got the last laugh.

Just more of the age-old tactic of discrediting your accuser rather than backing up your own claim. Why bother making a reasonable argument to prove your point when you can just call your opponent a "dummy" and walk off with a smug look on your face?

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 09-15-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Jeff

Yeah, this board is really "in the bag" for TPG.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Bruce Babcock

"Scientific evidence?" Grading services?

Helen Keller would know that the card is a fake.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:04 AM

I wish they would try the scientific study made popular by Sesame Street called "Which one of these things is not like the other". I know T206 cards are nearly impossible to find, but maybe someone could offer up 99 real ones and put their Honus Waldo Wagner in the middle and try to find the one that doesn't look like the others.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is the guys last email to me from yesterday...

"I would quit drinking the PSA kook-aid ...who exactly at any of the card grading services are 100 years old and was around when the T-206 card went to print and has knowledge of how it was printed?"

Sounds like a strong argument to me!!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 AM

It is a good argument! So basically none of them can be considered real, including the Cobb/Edwards, and they are all worthless until PSA hires someone who is 112 and remembers pulling these from a pack. Now that it's settled, please bid accordingly on their auction.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Here is the guys last email to me from yesterday...

"I would quit drinking the PSA kook-aid ...who exactly at any of the card grading services are 100 years old and was around when the T-206 card went to print and has knowledge of how it was printed?"

Sounds like a strong argument to me!!

So according to this guy, there is no verifiable way to authenticate any baseball card. In other words, if it happened before you were born, and you weren't there to witness it, then there is no possible way you can know for sure whether or not it is real.

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I have posted scans for years of the same exact reprint they are peddling. Not once has anyone ever offered me anything for it and that is with me saying "It is a reprint" over and over. If I'm certain it's a reprint, and someone in this collecting world is certain it isn't, wouldn't you think that person would say, I'll give you $20 for it just to have it, then they could turn around and make up to $1.5mil apparently?
John, if you have the same reprint, why don't we just make a second one of the 'Cobb/Edwards' card and then try to sell it for $300,000? If no one buys it, or if anyone claims it is a reprint, just scream "reverse discrimination".

(Disclaimer: the above was just a hypothetical which in no way should impact my credibility if I actually locate a Wagner card that just happens to look exactly like the Cincinnati card.)
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 AM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Question for the lawyers.

Everyone knows the back story to this card. Every credible source has repeatedly told these guys that the card is fake and they continue their attempts to sell it. Can a charge such as conspiracy to commit fraud be brought against these guys? People are prosecuted all the time for selling fake items and defrauding people on the internet.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
John, if you have the same reprint, why don't we just make a second one of the 'Cobb/Edwards' card and then try to sell it for $300,000? If no one buys it, or if anyone claims it is a reprint, just scream "reverse discrimination".

(Disclaimer: the above was just a hypothetical which in no way should impact my credibility if I actually locate a Wagner card that just happens to look exactly like the Cincinnati card.)
Here it is Scott, get the ball rolling! I am 1/8th American Indian, so we could always use that angle for the discrimination

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...0&postcount=30
Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

John, your isn’t your tribal name “Sits With Reprint”, that may be an issue for the plan.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Here it is Scott, get the ball rolling! I am 1/8th American Indian, so we could always use that angle for the discrimination

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...0&postcount=30
I'm up for it if I can get the actual card, and get someone to also donate a real T206 Piedmont card.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
John, your isn’t your tribal name “Sits With Reprint”, that may be an issue for the plan.
It's actually Dances With Chicken Wolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0004.jpg (61.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
pete ullman

i'll donate a real t206...i'd happily contribute to the mutilation of a t206!
Old 09-16-2013, 11:33 AM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
John, isn’t your tribal name “Sits With Reprint”, that may be an issue for the plan.
Why do you ask, Two Dogs Reprinting?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Belltown Vintage

I also have American Indian blood, so i'll take "Runs with Scissors"
Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Provenance

Bender to Wagner:

"Did you close the tepee door? It's freezing in here."

Wagner to Bender:

"I'll close it, Chief. You know I've got your back."

attributed to former sportswriter, Red Skinner

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Bill T.

Running with the 'Stache's idea of 10 minutes in the DeLorean, how about taking 10 minutes of video showing these clowns buying the reprint?

Bill