NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Should new member introductions be on the main board?
Yes 35 38.46%
No 9 9.89%
I don't care 47 51.65%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Easy question for the board....Place for introductions...

Hey Ya'll
Would it be better to have new members introductions on the main page of the board (this one)? I sort of think it would. It seems a bit more hospitable for more folks to welcome our newest members. Right now it's done in the water cooler section but those threads don't get viewed as much.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Although im New here, im a forum admin over in an old school war game for many years, as well as an admin for my "group" in the game.

We have a section labled, "newbs" or new guys.

not sure im explaining it right, but, like a section toward the top, and the section is only called New Guys. Easy to find. hope my 2 cents helps.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 AM

I think they should be but not individually. Either as the newb just suggested, have one thread, or have a monthly thread dedicated to it
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I agree that having it on the main page is ok. I never look at the watercooler threads so I've missed all newbies intros that have ever been posted over there. I also like the idea of a monthly thread for intros. It might invite more new members to actually get started posting. It can be intimidating to post early on so a dedicated thread might work.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

allow myself to introduce... myself.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I think they should be but not individually. Either as the newb just suggested, have one thread, or have a monthly thread dedicated to it
+1

It seems like it would be easier if it was all in one thread, to keep up with and to welcome people (BTW- welcome all new people !!!! )

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Barry Sloate

It's not a big issue either way, but I like that we have a place for it in the water cooler section. That area is viewed so infrequently that I encourage any reason to post over there. The main board is busy enough and is almost always the first place people look. So I like the idea of more traffic over on that side. Don't know why, I just do.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It's not a big issue either way, but I like that we have a place for it in the water cooler section. That area is viewed so infrequently that I encourage any reason to post over there. The main board is busy enough and is almost always the first place people look. So I like the idea of more traffic over on that side. Don't know why, I just do.
That is the point Barry. It's sort of a two edged sword. If we leave the introductions in the water cooler section then our newest members won't get as warm of a welcome. If we put them on this front page a few less people will go over to that section. I think the best solution will be to put them on the main page and see how it goes. We can always revert back if need be.
As many folks voted, it's not really a big deal either way.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Barry Sloate

Main page works too. I like the water cooler section and I don't think very many people use it.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Main page works too. I like the water cooler section and I don't think very many people use it.
I agree completely Barry. But if members/friends don't want to chat about other stuff then I guess it's you and I .
Old 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM

"Allow me to re-introduce myself
My name is Hov', OH, H-to-the-O-V
I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z
I guess even back then you can call me
CEO of the R-O-C, Hov'!"

Main board is fine.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Danny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
"Allow me to re-introduce myself
My name is Hov', OH, H-to-the-O-V
I used to move snowflakes by the O-Z
I guess even back then you can call me
CEO of the R-O-C, Hov'!"

Main board is fine.
I started singing that same verse as soon as i saw this thread. I dont think many folks on here will know who its from...
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM

i bet Barry knows...he should, they're from the same borough.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 11-11-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

i posted my "hi im new here" intro in the watercooler 3 days ago and so far Leon is the only one to respond. Personally it doesn't matter much to me..... but then i am/have been using various forums for many years and i know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the folks here know where to find the intros, and they choose not to. I'm not sure that sticking it right under their noses on the front page would persuade anyone from viewing or posting.

just an observation.

I also know some "noobs" would feel dejected if their intro thread didnt get any replies though, because in their eyes it makes the forum look "cliquey"

Last edited by sdkammeyer; 11-11-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Smith View Post
I started singing that same verse as soon as i saw this thread. I dont think many folks on here will know who its from...
Guilty here too, except I started after Jeff P's post
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
i posted my "hi im new here" intro in the watercooler 3 days ago and so far Leon is the only one to respond. Personally it doesn't matter much to me..... but then i am/have been using various forums for many years and i know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the folks here know where to find the intros, and they choose not to. I'm not sure that sticking it right under their noses on the front page would persuade anyone from viewing or posting.

just an observation.

I know some "noobs" would feel dejected if their intro thread didnt get any replies, because in their eyes it makes the forum look "cliquey"
Nice wisdom my friend. I am also a member of several different forums. I like new folks to feel welcome and that was the impetus for this thread. As most know there are a few (to several ) hundred of us on here that know each other quite well as we have spent a lot of time with each other, especially at the National Conventions. It makes sense that if folks feel welcome and make friends it makes for a better and more enjoyable collecting experience.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I like new folks to feel welcome and that was the impetus for this thread. ..................... It makes sense that if folks feel welcome and make friends it makes for a better and more enjoyable collecting experience.
I definitely agree.

Hey, I'll be spending some solid time here over the next months (and beyond) and would have no qualms with volunteering for a "welcoming committee" of sorts ..... if that's an idea?
Even though I hardly qualify being so new myself

Hopefully, this thread will bring enough attention to the issue, and a few more regulars will take the extra second to pop in every couple days and say "hey" to the new members.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Clayton

Default Welcome everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Steve !!!

I like to welcome new members, it's nice to see more interest in pre-war cards, and this is the place to be !!! I believe this is the best place on the internet, no joke. Great people with great information, and a lot of fun. Good luck hunting

I also think the watercooler section is excellent, but I tend to want to veer off into politics and such, so I try to check myself, and don't end up with too much to say over there (there's just so much going on in the world, it's hard for me to stay away from politics and policy). But I will abide by the boards' rules-no religion and no politics

And, oh yeah- T206's rule !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
i bet Barry knows...he should, they're from the same borough.

Not a clue Michael

My knowledge of hip hop is nil.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Barry Sloate

And of course welcome Steve. If nobody responded over on the watercooler side then it proves two things: the main board is a better place to introduce yourself....and nobody really cares about the other section. I even think there are plenty of regular members who don't even know we have other forums.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Welcome Steve !!!

And, oh yeah- T206's rule !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely, Clayton
yes, T206's do rule. I just wish i would have started my hunt for them 20-30 years ago when I probably could have picked them up for a few bucks each. I'm putting the set together in PSA4 and I can't believe the cost involved!!
Also, I do agree that this is a GREAT forum.

Quote:
And of course welcome Steve. .
Thanks for the warm welcome!!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default reviving this topic with the change....

With right at 90% of our members either saying yes to having introductions on this front page, or not caring, it has been done. Wording has been changed. I think it will make our newest members feel a bit more welcomed....Carry on...