NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default 1912 T202 HASSAN TRIPLE FOLDERS SEPARATED

Posted By: bobbie

Hi, Just wondering how to value seperated tripple folders. and also can they be sent for grading. I have a few but don't have a good idea of value.
Thanks.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I can't say that these cards have no value, because they do. You see people buying these things off ebay all the time. I see them as the same thing as a trimmed card. No value to me as the rest of the card as been torn away. I recall no grading company that will grade them since they are part of a larger card.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The key for best resale dollar is to not sell them to Bryan. They are worth a few bucks, the Mathewson the most. Most to all were cut apart many years ago.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dd

The cobb usually sells for 3 figures on ebay.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator

I am the last person to ask for advice when it comes to cards I guess those darn things sell for more than I thought. How many people buy this stuff because they have no idea that they are torn from a larger card? I understand that they have some value to those that cannot afford a Cobb or Matty, but really 3 figures for the Cobb!! Why? Of course, I am only questioning this because I would not get them. They are pretty "partial" cards, but to me the word "partial" is the key.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Bryan I agree I would not buy these, they are damaged cards, not a complete card.

joe

Old 05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I never feel completely comfortable with the arrogance of current collectors feeling that they sit in judgement of the choices made by the original owners of cards.

I certainly can see that an original owner or group of owners could view triple folders as two different sets, properly collected by seperating them. Of course current thinking does not support this view; but current thinking does not typically support the seperation of anything which was originally joined.

The most pronounced example of this judgemental view, which I do not side with, is the opinion that the doubleplay set was intended to be left joined, eventhough each half has a different number.

In the case of the triple folders, however, I believe that their seperation was not a good choice. But I also feel that collectors who sympathise with those who have seperated the sections, have an interesting collecting opportunity, in that the center sections depict an interesting array of cards, while the end sections are typically better represented by t205s.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Just think, you can get a variety of different end panels and center panels. You can then tape them together to create your own T202 cards and drive the purist collectors nuts.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

It has been done! I once owned a t202 with two matty end panels on either side of cobb sliding...wish I still had it...very cool collector card.

Joshua

Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bobbie

Ha, I should send one to psa like that.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Anyone can collect what they want and like, if there are collectors of these cards after they are separated, more powere to them. I just would not buy them in that condition. I know there are collectors of trimmed cards also, but probably would not buy those if I know they are trimmed. That said, I do have some trimmed cards I bought about 20 years ago because of my inexperience.

Joe

Old 05-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Prices on these have jumped in the last year. I used to pick up small groups from time to time for less than a dollar a card. I would see the Cobb panel sell for under $50. Now it routinely sells for over $100 and I remember about 6 months ago one went for almost $200. This really doens't make much sense since you can buy a complete t202 Cobb for around $400.

Jay

Growing old is not optional, growing up is.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

I've seen the commons sell for a couple of bucks on ebay lol.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:48 AM
Administrator

I hope you are not referring to me when you speak or "current collectors" and "arrogance". I am not saying people can't collect them. I was simply stating my personal view on them - that's all. Collect what you want and enjoy them no matter what other say. I could care less. I hardly consider myself arrogant when it comes to baseball card collecting.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know Bryan, I have partied with Bryan, Bryan is a friend of mine, ........Gilbert you are no Bryan..... (and Bryan is not arrogant).....young maybe, but not arrogant (and I sort of wish I was young again ) ....this is only a little humor guys....take it easy...it's baseball cards...even if they are 1/3 of cards....heck, I have a 1/4 card I call a card....

Old 06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Bryan: I am speaking primarilly of me when it comes to arrogance. I find it difficult to place myself in the position of a kid from long ago, as he "carelessly" rips apart a strip of cards, so that he can engage in a flipping game with his friends, or just stuff 'em into his jeans pocket after a brief glance at the unknown common (who turns out to be a Bill Terry rookie card - or the equivalent).

I buy strip cards which obtain the highest grade if the dotted lines remain at both the top and bottom of the remaining card. I wanted to see how achievable this was, so I attempted it on a few reprint strips. Ripping these evenly with minimal damage is not easy (if the kid had a pocket knife, it may be easier).

I find it difficult to not side with the grading consensus, and preferentially acquire comparitively pristine examples, eventhough they are not typical real life. In one case tho, I have opted for my piece of this Americana. I bought the four w-514 Chicago pitchers who each won 20+ games in 1920; as they came. The Kerr and Cicotte were fairly well cut, but the Faber and Williams were close cut resulting in no borders at the sides nor top - and not real straight cuts. I really enjoy these cards. They are genuine survivors that have the feel that they were really THERE in the 20s. Way much more than those higher gradeable cards which I own.

Each time I purchase the more "collector correct" example, I am cheating myself - and I know it. But as a current collector, it is difficult to divorce yourself from the hobby consensus.

I really did not intend for anyone to take the opinions stated in my previous post, nor this one, as a critique of their views. I agree, CWYWC, it is all good.

Edited to add:

For clarification, the arrogance of which I was addressing, is the hobby's belief that they sit in judgement of the choices made by the card purchaser. Although each person does do this because it is his money which is being paid for the surviving card, his view is shaded by what the grading company may think. And this judgemental arrogance often does result in a sizable devaluation of surviving examples which possess far greater history, character, and genuineness than their "correct" counterparts.

I hope that some of this is clear.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Peace everyone - for I am off for vacation will appear again in the middle of June. If anyone lives in Savannah GA let me know and maybe we can meet and discuss some cards.