NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Default Matty Card -- anybody know this one?

Posted By: Joe D.

I just picked up this card on eBay...

thought it was cool looking, but I don't know much about the card or where it came from.

A candy card I believe.

Is there a set this belongs to?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 04-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

It is from the 1910 Orange Border set. Each card was part of the candy box and was meant to be cut out and collected as a card. Each box likely contained one single player card and one team card, the two cards being the two largest panels on the box. The team card would either be the Tigers or Pirates since they were the two teams who played in the World Series in 1909. Of course the two cards a box is still speculation since a box has yet to turn up but would answer why there are so many of the two team cards compared to the single player cards.

Your card is nice but it is missing the orange borders. When it was cut from the box the kid doing it cut too close and forgot to keep the borders

Old 04-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Old 04-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Administrator

thanks for the info. Yeah, I see my Matty is missing the border, and has a couple of holes in it (ouch).

unfortunately, this information about the set means there is yet another avenue of cards I will be looking out for!

btw, one cool aspect about these cards (going by that Cobb and the Matty)... something that seems less common for the time... they are printed photographs as opposed to printed drawings. Most stuff from the time seems to be printed drawings.

thanks again for the info.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I believe that at the time of manufacture, cutting instructions were not included with the boxes. Therefore, whether to leave the orange border or cut it off was at the discretion of the kid. Unfortunately, the kid who originally owned this example did not have the foresight to realize that people about one hundred years later would determine that he made an error in judgement, eventhough this presentation was what the kid preferred.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Joe, the orange borders aren't rare, but are much tougher to find than T206s, T205s, etc. So it's a decent Mathewson to have.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Why is it when I submit hand cut cards to SGC that are full size, but just missing that pesky dotted cut line, they get rejected for being too small? Then there is a card called an "orange border" with the border cut off, & it recieves a grade????? Does SGC's policy keep changing? Cool Matty card BTW. Paul

Old 05-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

sorry to bump this old post....

but since I purchased this card I have been looking to see if any other Orange borders have been offered up.

I haven't noticed any on eBay or at card shows... not Matty or any other players quite frankly.

Does anyone know of a checklist or a link of images from the set?

Would be much appreciated.

Also, I don't have access to PSA pop reports, but if anyone happens to be poking around the Pop reports and can give me an idea on numbers, that would be cool. Not finding these cards offered up anywhere is making me think they are quite rare (or that people are holding on to them without wanting to sell them).

Regards,
Joe

Old 05-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PC

29 known cards in the set (according to the 2005 Standard Catalog):

Bill Bergen
Bill Bradley
Bill Carrigan
Hal Chase
Fred Clark (Clarke)
Ty Cobb
Sam Crawford
Lou Criger
Harry Davis
Art Devlin
Mikey Doolan
George Gibson
Addie Joss
Nap Lajoie
Frank Laporte
Harry Lord
Christy Mathewson
Amby McConnell
John McGraw
Dots Miller
George Mullin
Eddie Plank
Tris Speaker
Jake Stahl
Honus Wagner (batting)
Honus Wagner (portrait)
Jake Arhop
Detroit AL Champs 1909
Pittsburgh NL Champs 1909

Old 05-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

PSA POP report is zero, for it's not even listed.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

1910 Orange Borders are listed in most all catalogs, There are 29 known cards listed in the 2006 SCD Catalog (page 274). Mathewson (with complete borders) books for $1,600 NRMT, $640 EX, $320 VG.

You wont see Orange Borders that often, they are scarce. maybe 5-10 a year at most on eBay. The ones you see the most of are the Pirate and Tiger Team Photo cards, they are the most plentiful because they were found on one side of every box. I have only seen maybe 3 Mathewsons total. I have seen the one you got a few times over the years. I always remembered it because of the tack holes, it was originally on eBay misidentified about 5-6 years ago. I and many others on this board are always after these cards (and the similar "Base-Ball Bats" cards). They are in high demand, especially with the complete orange borders.

PS Pop report will be misleading...... since they are handcut PSA didnt grade them for a long time.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info, the checklist, and the pop report (scarcity) stuff.

I have the SGC catalog, but I was never able to find that set in it... I see it now. Thanks.

btw, with regard to my particular card...
looking from the back - it appears that there are two pairs of holes (four total holes) - looks very much like staple holes (because they are the same distance apart in both places).

again, thanks for unlocking some of the mystery for me.

Regards,
Joe

Old 05-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Relatively cheap cards of Cobb & Wagner.