NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1960-1979 Baseball Cards B/S/T

Old 04-29-2024, 12:05 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1962 JELL-O Brooks Robinson Paste-Up Exists

1962 JELL-O BASEBALL CARD
COPY ART/PASTE-UP BOARDS
Dan Mabey

PREFACE: Some of you are aware that one year ago I suffered a fractured femur and ruptured Achilles heel injury. During recuperation I slowly began attempting to inventory my lost 1961-63 Post and 1962-63 JELL-O baseball card archives. This disheartening exercise confirmed that the movers misplaced or stole a major portion of the paper and digital files, including both the computer hard drive and thumb drive copies of the four books I have authored. The good news is I found the 2 photos depicting 1962 JELL-O baseball card paste-up/copy art boards. The photos had literally been thrown into a box (marked “garage”) that included my 15 pound free-weights, computer monitor, career awards and plaques, and audio acoustic treatment accessories.

Between medical and physical therapy appointments, I began studying the two 1962 JELL-O baseball card panels. Upon noticing the frame depicting Brooks Robinson, I decided that this information needed to be shared. The narrative that follows is not accompanied by images of the 2 photos, simply because the pictures are virtually impossible to decipher when posted on the internet. Understand I am not attempting to withhold source data, but please realize a poorly photographed analog photo that is copied and pasted to a digital file will be little more than a blurry black blotch. [Believe me, I tried!]

INTRODUCTION: In October of 1997, I received a telephone call by a person who represented himself as an agent attempting to broker the sale of 1962 and 1963 JELL-O baseball card paste-up boards. I was living in Northern Virginia at the time. A brief conversation with the agent disclosed they were priced at $10,000 each. Although disinclined to make the purchase at the price stated, I requested and received through the mail Kodachrome photos of the items. The color photos are dated October 5, 1997.

BACKGROUND: Two (2) 1962 JELL-O paste-up boards were depicted in the glossy photos. Resolution of the photos was poor, complicated by the fact that they were staged on a backyard lawn with a combination of intense sunlight and the shading of a tree and human shadow. All of the original player photos were absent, and several of the individual cards had portions of the pasted text missing or obscured by the yellowing/browning of the paste originally used to affix the numbers, biographies, and statistics.

ANALYSIS: Having been a consultant to Lelands Auction House in personally reviewing and writing narratives for the 1963 Post and 1963 JELL-O baseball card copy art/paste-up boards, I have been fascinated and perplexed by the 2 photos depicting the 1962 JELL-O baseball card images. Unlike those viewed in their original 1963 Post and 1963 JELL-O folios, the 2 photos did not reveal the 1962 JELL-O gelatin or pudding flavors or sizes on which the cards were destined to appear. Unlike the research findings leading to the books covering the 1961-63 Post cereal baseball card printing process, I have no knowledge or informed account of how the 1962 JELL-O cards were transformed from the copy art/paste-up boards to individual gelatin and pudding packages.

COPY ART/PASTE-UP BOARD REVELATIONS: The Kodachrome photos of the 2 1962 JELL-O baseball card layouts have been scrutinized under intense light and the aid of a magnifying glass. The following illustration shows the precise order and team affiliation appearing on the boards – and YES, number 29 BROOKS ROBINSON is reflected on the predominantly Baltimore Orioles copy art! [More observations and speculation follow the board player and team affiliation chart set forth below.]

182 – Ed Bouchee 183 – Don Zimmer 184 – Ron Santo
185 – Andre Rodgers 186 – Richie Ashburn 187 – George Altman
188 – Ernie Banks 189 – Sam Taylor 191 – Jerry Kindall
180 – Harvey Haddix 190 – Don Elston 198 – Robin Roberts

27 – Jim Gentile 28 – Marv Breeding 29 – Brooks Robinson
30 – Ron Hansen 31 – Jackie Brandt 32 – Dick Williams
33 – Gus Triandos 37 – Vic Power 38 – Johnny Temple
35 – Hoyt Wilhelm 26 – Jim Bunning 34 – Milt Pappas

SHAKEY OBSERVATIONS AND WOBBLY SPECULATION: First and foremost, I can unequivocally state that 1962 JELL-O Card No. 29 – Brooks Robinson was designed and placed by the art department to appear in the set. Furthermore, Brooks Robinson was placed in numerical sequence on the Baltimore Orioles paste-up board. However, Brooks never made an appearance. What happened? I am reluctant to accept the notion that there was a contract dispute or licensing constraint. After all, Brooks appeared in every 1961-63 U.S. Post and 1962 Canadian Post set, as well as the 1963 JELL-O set. Furthermore, the model contracts executed between General Foods, player representative Frank Scott, and the major league players granted unqualified authorization for use of the likenesses in all company promotional campaigns. Presuming that the 1962 JELL-O cards of Brooks Roby (or Kluszewski and Burgess) were not slated to appear on the newly introduced and highly unsuccessful vegetable flavored gelatins, 62 years of hobby experience strongly suggests the card(s) were never produced.

In the case of Brooks, I wonder if the trade of Card No. 38 – Johnny Temple from Cleveland to Baltimore may have confused the Leroy, New York or Young and Rubicam (Y&R) architects as they attempted to maintain parity in the total team representations. Since Temple’s card noted his trade to the Orioles, the Indians team lost one player allocation; accordingly, it may have prompted the curious replacement of Colavito’s likeness (as a Tiger having been traded from Cleveland) with Card No. 19 – Ken Aspromonte.

Using parallel logic leading to the Brooks Roby scenario, I feel confusion or poor communication within the art department may have been the source of Burgess or “Big Klu” being scrubbed from the 1962 JELL-O card promotion. Is it coincidental that the copy art/paste-up board displays Card No. 26 – Jim Bunning of the Tigers, Card No. 38 – Johnny Temple of the Indians (with asterisk noting trade to the Orioles), and “no show” Card No. 29 – Brooks Robinson on the same sheet? Regarding “no show” Card No. 176 – Smoky Burgess, is it possible confusion reigned supreme when the art department inserted the Pirate’s No. 180 – Harvey Haddix (and the Phillies Card No. 198 – Robin Roberts) in the midst of the Chicago Cubs team sequence? The absence of the 1962 JELL-O Card No. 82 – Ted Kluszewski remains a mystery to me. Conceding that “Big Klu” was released unconditionally by the expansion L.A. Angels on October 11, 1961, he certainly was a more formidable and popular player than Card No. 75 – Rocky Bridges. As Rocky’s printed card states, he also was released unconditionally on October 11, 1961.

CONCLUDING REMARKS: The foregoing analysis is purely speculative. It is simply a vain attempt by an obsessive throw-back hobbyist to understand the nuances of one of the most challenging food promotional sets of the early 1960s. I hope that someday other 1962 JELL-O baseball card copy art/paste-up sheets will be discovered and shared with advanced sports card collectors.

Last edited by keepmeposted; 04-29-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:25 PM

Default 1962 Jello Brooks Robinson

Hi. Thanks for sharing. I have never attempted the 1962 Jello Set given its challenges and Brooks did not appear in it. Always wondered why. Your analysis makes sense. I have Brooks on quite a few Post Panels and the my favorite…the 1963 Jello Complete Box. Always looking for the 1962 Canadian Panel with Brooks. Probably not out there but neither was the 1963 Jelllo box. Appreciate your post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4548.jpg (121.0 KB, 197 views)
Old 04-30-2024, 12:03 PM
Dan Mabey

Thanks for your feedback. Beautiful 63J Brooks Roby unopened box. Looks like it just came off the grocery store shelf. Good luck finding the 62P Canadian panel with Brooks. His single appearance is on the Bran Flakes 14 ounce box, along with Boros, Kirkland, Spencer, Kasko, Haddix and Cash.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepmeposted View Post
I requested and received through the mail Kodachrome photos of the items. The color photos are dated October 5, 1997.

BACKGROUND: Two (2) 1962 JELL-O paste-up boards were depicted in the glossy photos. Resolution of the photos was poor, complicated by the fact that they were staged on a backyard lawn with a combination of intense sunlight and the shading of a tree and human shadow.
I'm just a visitor to this thread (maybe ask Leon to move it to the proper section, to getter better eyes on it?), so I have nothing to offer, but unless I missed it, you seem to have buried the lede. Do you still have the pictures you referenced?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:25 PM

Dan, thanks for the insights on the Brooks Canadian Panel. Love learning about Post and Jello cards. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2024, 03:41 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Jello Paste Ups

Great stuff Dan, thanks for posting.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:58 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Hi Dan

I was connected with a former general mills employee back in the 90's. He had the complete 1963 Jell-O set art boards, a pile of 1962 post art boards and I think a few 1962 Jell-O boards with no pictures.
I wish I had taken some notes as I know I asked him about the absence of pictures on the 62 boards. I didn't know the set well enough to scrutinize what was or wasn't there - I looked past them as the 62 Post and 63 Jell-O had the pictures attached. He wanted an outlandish sum (1 million) for the whole collection. Years later they showed up in a Mastro auction. I won the 63 Jell-O (minus the Aaron) and the 62 Post Clemente.
Wish I had more to offer, but wanted to at least mention the encounter.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:18 AM

Howard, would I have seen your 1963 Jello featuring Brooks?
Old 05-05-2024, 02:39 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default 63 Jello Brooks Robinson Mock Up board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
Howard, would I have seen your 1963 Jello featuring Brooks?
Charlie:

You probably recall seeing mine. I think I sent you photos of this years ago.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jello brooks robinson 1.jpg (172.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg jello brooks robinson 2.jpg (194.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg jello brooks robinson 3.jpg (170.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-05-2024, 08:57 PM

Fred, That is it!

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie
Old 05-08-2024, 11:55 AM
Dan Mabey

To: Howard. Do you recall the time frame for that first discussion?

As an aside, when I corresponded with Howard T. Slutz (who had moved from Battle Creek to NY with the General Foods consolidation to White Plains in 1962-63), he indicated he had retrieved the majority of Kodacolor prints used in the 1963 Post set. They had been thrown into a trash bin, along with files pertaining to the promotion. Mr Slutz gave them to his son. Howard, Bill Betts, and Virginia and Ralph Moody said they never were involved in providing or being aware of 1962-1963 Post copy art being provided in support of the JELL-O baseball card promotions.

I suspect that the General Foods employee (alluded to as the source of the copy art/paste-up boards) must have worked in White Plains OR perhaps been involved in the rotogravure or printing process. It sure would be nice to have a name. Maybe Lelands has something on record?

Tags
1962 jello baseball, brooks robinson, jell-o paste-up