NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Default Collecting on a Budget

Posted By: Myron Black

Hello,

I've been browsing this forum for awhile now because I'm thinking about taking up vintage card collecting. I've collected modern cards for some time now, but never vintage cards. My question is this: Is it possible to collect vintage cards on a budget? Or is it just a waste of time if you don't have a lot of money to work with?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It's very possible to put together a vintage collection on a budget. Stay away from the high grade cards, and the truly expensive players like Ruth and Cobb. You should be able to pick up low grade (but not horrible) 1933 Goudey cards of some Hall of Famers for about $40 each, less if you're patient and lucky. The same is true of 1939-41 Play Ball cards. Tobacco cards will be a little more, but you should be able to pick up lower grade cards of players like Crawford and Beckley for well under $100. And if you are interested in common players, they will be cheaper. You might even be able to pick up a 19th century card from the Old Judge set.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

You can certainly collect vintage cards on a budget. My budget for cards is around $50. I kid you not. This means I have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to be able to get more expensive cards, but that make collecting that much more fun. In the 80s I used to have an almost unlimited budget to buy whatever I wanted. I had a nice collection back then, but I find that collecting now is much more meaningful my second time around with a very ristrict budget.

As mentioned, the key is to stick to lower grade cards with good eye appeal and you build a very respectable collection that way.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I, too, am on a really small budget. I'm just going to have to settle for the lower grade cards also. My joke when looking for an expensive card over the years has been to dealers, "Do you have such & such card in "near poor" condition.

The "fun" of collecting is actually going to card shows, hunting for bargains, meeting other collectors, learning about the cards, message boards, etc,...

Alan
Jewish sports collector

Old 05-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

My name is Adam and I am an Exhibit card junkie. [Hi, Adam]

You can pick up prewar Exhibits of all but the major stars on a modest budget, especially if you are not grade-happy. The rarities and Ruth-Gehrig-Cobb holy trinity will get well into three or even four figures, but if condition is not an issue, you can even get these on the cheap, relatively speaking.

Strip cards are another viable option, although the really popular stuff is getting pricey.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Most of us have collecting budgets. Mine is not as ample as many. Thats ok by me. I enjoy researching the options, considerations, compromizes, etc. associated with each card that I put on my wantlist.

I don't enjoy quite as much the having to save up for a purchase, nor the searching and waiting for the selected card to become available.

But each acquisition is really appreciated.

Some of us spend thousands each month on cards, others don't buy a card each month.

I do not think that the collector who can routinely purchase a four figure card appreciates his card any more than the collector who has to save up for a three figure card.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

My idea on collecting on a budget is,buy as many high priced cards as you can so that once your collecting habit causes you to become homeless youll have less to carry around.Thats why i collect ungraded old judges,expensive yet easy to carry alot of them around.

If you wanted an honest answer,strip cards are always good,the t206 set has 300+ low priced commons which you could collect while saving for some of the bigger cards in the set.Small sets like e95s can be put together over a years time even on a small budget

Old 05-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Like others on this board, I have gotten back into the hobby after years away. While I will never approach the collection I once had, I'm enjoying it far more this time around. As a budget collector, I try to focus on sets I think are underrated. While I'm not a big Exhibit card collector, the the 1920s sets are quite nice and represent some of the best deals out there. My personal choice for the most underrated sets are Wheaties panels and Play Balls. In general, I see cards from the 1930s as underrated. It was also an amazing time in baseball. The sets from 1933 to 1941 bridge the gap between Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. From the Gashouse Gang to Joe Dimaggio's 56-game hitting streak, I consider this era the most compelling in baseball history. Goudeys and Diamond Stars are a little pricey, but I still think they are a far better deal than tobacco cards. When I used to go to card shows in the seventies (I went to some of the first ever), Goudeys and Diamond Stars were always more expensive than T205s and T206s. I remember picking up tobacco cards for a dollar each, but I often had to pay $2-$3 each for Goudeys.

I've never been much for focusing on cards as an investment. I buy what I like. I'm always looking for cards in the VG-EX range, and I'm partial to what I call "perfectly flawed cards." I've gotten some tremendous deals on cards with tape stains or slight back damage, and I've never been bothered by cards that are off-centered. I just picked up a 1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese (I know, it's post WWII, please forgive me) that has sharp corners, is well centered, but has a crease. The price? About 20% of what the card would cost me without a crease.

I'm puzzled by the focus in the hobby on "perfect" cards. It seems sometimes like the corners are more important than the card itself. I never need to own an "8" or a "9." For me the greatest thrill is getting a Goudey or a Play Ball HOFer for a price that falls within my limited budget.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

For cards such as T-205 and others, the corners and borders are an important part of the card, imo, because they are a decorative frame to the card.

For most cards however, this is not the case. The border serves to protect the picture portion of the card. Therefore, to me, rounded corners, edge irregularities, trimming, tack holes, etc. are examples of the borders performing their function - protecting the picture.

That cards are available at substantial discount due to the borders having provided their function is great news to me!

But creases and other problems which impact the picture area are important.

And centering, unless way off, doesn't matter (unless there is no discount for it).

Old 05-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

I've also recently reentered the hobby on a budget and, while I still want teh HOF'ers and stars, I have a lot more fun collecting the "common" players than I did when I was a kid. I think my goal now is to collect a set of cards from each decade so on a lazy Saturday I can flip through them with a game on the radio, a baseball encyclopedia or the Abstract near my left hand and a cold beer near my right. Anymore, the Taylor Douthits and Ed Konetchys and George Granthams of the baseball world are as interesting as the stars. Not being star struck or obsessed with a card's condition defintely helps while on a budget.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying this site. I miss the days of my youth when I could buy a Tinker-Evers-Chance-Steinfeldt set of T206's with my Christmas money, but it's still fun. It's especially fun when I have to explain to my girlfriend why I'm psyched that my Peaches Graham card just came in the mail.

--Chad

Old 05-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach

As many of you already know I collect on a budget as well. Even though my collecting is limited to lowgrade cards ( I collect hall of famers) it is still very fun and the hunt for them on ebay is even more fun. So far I think im at around 120 hofers with a few big cards but the most I have ever payed for a card was around $300 for my t206 matty. I think collecting on a budget is way more fun than having all the money in the world..getting the card you want in a low enough grade that fits your budget etc. So it is defiently possible to collect vintage cards on a budget.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I got back into card collecting in 2002. Lord how I wish I didn't spend so much of my hard earned $$'s in the 80's on the Topps/Fleer/Donruss sets, but I did. If just starting out make sure you buy some commons first (no matter the set) so you get a better understanding for what they should look/feel like to help discern a fake from real or a trim from an original sharp edge.

I started out being able to buy a fair amount a month, but a new house, new son, and a wife who loves clothes and shoes has put me on quite a strict budget. Like the other said, it is more fun for me now even if I have to save to buy that Cobb, or Johnson, or Joss card. But when I do purchase one it is that much more satisfying for me.

I'm only 31 so I'm not in a big rush to fill out sets or get the must-haves immediately. I just enjoy the ride, and all the information and insights this board, and its contributors provide.

Thanks to everyone for helping a guy who typically hates to spend a dime on himself (outside of golf and beer) the outlet to do so with as much information as possible.

Bill

My favorite and most valuable card to date (kind of sad but I love it)

"The beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert"

Old 05-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I, too, just started getting into collecting pre-war stuff. It's really great stuff! Collecting on a budget is actually GOOD. It forces one to focus on what is important and do research since we only have 'limited shots' when an item becomes available. And it is most satisfying to save up for an item - for when you obtain it it is all the more cherished.

Pre-war items do go for quite a bit, but there is enough stuff out there to be creative with what you collect. (e.g., I am collecting all the T-206 red portrait commons and then framing them). Or, you can take one huge shot every month and go for 'rare lesser cards' but still rare like the Boston Kleinow or Washington Elberfeld portrait. Or, you can collect the rare backs of T-206s like Cycle and Hindu for starters. Or you can collect other sports like tennis or billiards (I personally prefer horse racing). It's all up to you. The research will educated you not only in the historical aspect, but also the physical aspects of trimming and counterfeits. Once you dig in, there's no way but forward because it is VERY addictive! And remember, since it's 'old', condition shouldn't be a concern. These items were made long before toploaders and screwdowns were ever a passing thought.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

When I started back collecting Vintage Cards around 1 1/2 years ago. In fact, the budget was so low that I was collecting T206's with Fact. 649 Overprints in any condition at the time. Jay is correct - done correctly, you can build your collection and move to different levels of collecting simply by wheeling and dealing (I personally consider Jay and Lee two of the sharpest people in our Hobby for finding good deals)!

The secret is: ALSO buy cards at good deals (even if you don't like them) that you can turn and make money on. You might have to hold onto them for a few months (sometimes you get lucky and can flip them right away for a quick little profit). AND, sometimes you might have to take a loss on cards to fund something that is simply too good to pass up (I have done this several times myself)!

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for you is that no matter how small you start, you can build up to wherever you want your collection to be. You simply need to educate yourself (to find the good deals out there - and they are there every week!). The last thing you need is a little patience. Before long, you too can collect Cobbs and Ruths! The best part about it is the fun you have building your collection and the friends you make along the way.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

There is no getting around the fact that prewar cards are expensive. At times this hobby really seems like it is meant only for people with a lot more discretionary income than myself.

I think the key for me is trying to be as patient as possible. Every week there will be good materials available on ebay or in the auctions. There will be times when you feel that moment may be your only opportunity to acquire that super rare card if you don't bid strong immediately.

What I have learned over the years is that this is almost NEVER the case. Rare cards will turn up over and over again. Even one of a kind cards will turn up again. If not, there will TONS of other good stuff out there for you to buy. There is no need to ever overextend yourself for this hobby.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Another key to getting a few decent cards is buy small lots of cards, keep one or 2 and flip the rest to recoup some money.

Here are a few examples of very low grade cards I have with great eye appeal that I paid very little for

Got these for under $10

Got this for $150

The DiMaggio was the last card I bougt. That was about 2 months ago and ruined my budget, but was well worth it. I won't be buying anymore cards until the National because of it, but I now have a nice DiMaggio for my collection.

Best of luck to you.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Wesley has an approach I agree with completely, and that is to be patient and recognize just about everything will come up again and again, and if you lose out a few times stick with it and you'll get it the next time. And yes, vintage cards are getting very expensive and if you have a limited budget you are likely to find it a difficult hobby. But as Jay showed, you can get cards you enjoy cheaply if condition isn't a big issue. I know it's getting tougher and tougher, but there's not much you can do about it.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

old ones are a hazard to your health or your job, buy medicine from Canada, make friends with dealers: if they trust you, they will allow you to buy stuff on time, which means you can afford what you want.

Oh yes: don't want things you will never be able to afford.

Stay away from big auction houses. If you see something in a big auction to have to have, sell everything you own (that you value less than baseball cards).

Old 05-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

I think Julie is offering the doomsday approach to collecting, but hey, whatever works.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

as opposed to the small one I have now and a big inheritance which I had for about 2 1/2 years, and that's what I did. And in those days (1979-1985), everything was a lot cheaper than it is now...

Nice Ewing, Barry, thanks!--guess it's touched up SOMEWHERE, but I can't find it.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Jay B. --

Now, those two cards you show (not the Joe D) -- that's the conditions/prices I would like to find !!!

Alan
Jewish sports collector

Old 05-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Julie- I couldn't find it either, but now that I look at the scan, maybe the upper right corner. Boy, that sure is a nice card. I forgot all about it.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Myron Black

Thanks for the info guys(and girls).